X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Westland Lysander (Phoenix Model) 1900mm (74.6 in) Assembly by Papa Boozer

Papa is really getting a taste of the old days, of balsa planes, and the pleasure of assembly. Tower Hobbies is really giving, at first site, a quality ARF. Top materials and excellent building skills, are the first things that is seen in this model. The Boozers are really enjoy giving all you guys, a look at the experience of balsa assembly, and flight performance of balsa planes. This plane will be no exception, a plane that is simple to assembly, being that it has no retractable gear are flaps. Another plane that is equal to the foamy 1700mm warbirds and easy to transport. We will also equip this plane with electric 4s power. Papa is trying hard to show the ease of battery power, and the scale performance that it gives. So come along on this ride, as Papa gives you a day by day process from start finish. As stated in other assemblies, I will try to stay with the manual as per the manufacturers recommendations. So, let's get started and have some fun! Isn't it about time you try a balsa plane? Maybe this one! Remember, after assembly the final trial will be on the Merry Boozer Channel, to see how this model performs. God, I am having the time of my life at 67 years young. I hope, you are as lucky of loving your hobby as I.
    Attached Files

I have been looking at this plane for awhile, just haven't pulled the trigger. Looking forward to your build.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Boozer/Dots View Post
      Papa is really getting a taste of the old days of balsa planes and the pleasure of assembly. Tower Hobbies is really giving, at first site, a quality ARF. Top materials and excellent building skills are the first things that is seen in this model. The Boozers are really enjoy giving all you guys, a look at the experience of balsa assembly, and flight performance of balsa planes. This plane will be no exception, a plane that is simple to assembly being that it has no retractable gear are flaps. Another plane that is equal to the foamy 1700mm warbirds and easy to transport. We will also equip this plane with electric 4s power. Papa is trying hard to show the ease of battery power and the scale performance that it gives. So come along on the ride, as Papa gives you a day by day process from start finish. As stated in other assemblies, I will try to stay with the manual as per the manufacturers recommendations. So, let's get started and have some fun! Isn't it about time you try a balsa plane? Maybe this one! Remember, after assembly the final trial will be on the Merry Boozer Channel, to see how this model performs. God, I am having the time of my life at 67 years young, in bring you this thing I love so much. I hope you are so lucky as myself.
      What motor are you using? Phoenix planes are designed around RimFire motors. Rimfire motors use a different X spacing than all other manufactures motor's.

Comment

I have one of these, it's a good flyer.

I fly mine using a 3,000mAh 6S battery and a Suppo 4120/620kV motor. It has good power and flight times. I did not need to add any weight to achieve a good CoG with my set-up.

The included wood for the electric motor option is pre-drilled for Rimfire motors, but it's easy to fill those holes with epoxy and then drill new holes for a different size X-mount. I have done the same for several Phoenix planes with good results.

Comment

DAY 1....Assembly of wing ailerons, servos, linkages, control horns, servo extension leads, main landing gear with wheel pants, assemble of wing struts. So, I have followed the manual and have not had any problems to speak off. I was short four screws to hold down the servo cover for one wing, but for an old modeler, have many on hand in the repair box. Parts are all high quality and no issues that have been problems in past ARF's.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks like the aileron cover needs a shot of silver paint.

Comment

DAY 2. Assembly of Rudder, Tail gear, Elevators, Controls horns, servos, linkage for both, and engine cowl mounts. Stayed with the instruction manual, have no changes to this point. Manual is very detailed and ease to follow. Very pleased with this adventure, and are at the home stretch. On to the engine and cowl install.
              Attached Files

Comment

pdansalvish...The aileron covers on most models are made of thin ply and blocks that are glued on, last you cover with silver covering. Not this model, made of molded plastic. Less work on my part, and maybe a lot stronger. I will paint both silver, but they are on the bottom of the wing. I will answer you question on motor and ESC in the next post. It is the next assemble. ALWAYS REMEMBER, DO NOT USE POWER SYSTEM IN THIS ASSEMBLE, UNTIL WE SUCCESSFULLY FLY THE MODEL IN THE VIDEOS. THAT WILL ALWAYS BE TRUE ON ANY ASSEMBLE THE BOOZERS DO, UNLESS WE USE THE POWER SYSTEM RECOMMENDED BY THE MODEL MAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Boozer/Dots View Post
                  pdansalvish...The aileron covers on most models are made of thin ply and blocks that are glued on, last you cover with silver covering. Not this model, made of molded plastic. Less work on my part, and maybe a lot stronger. I will paint both silver, but they are on the bottom of the wing. I will answer you question on motor and ESC in the next post. It is the next assemble. ALWAYS REMEMBER, DO NOT USE POWER SYSTEM IN THIS ASSEMBLE, UNTIL WE SUCCESSFULLY FLY THE MODEL IN THE VIDEOS. THAT WILL ALWAYS BE TRUE ON ANY ASSEMBLE THE BOOZERS DO, UNLESS WE USE THE POWER SYSTEM RECOMMENDED BY THE MODEL MAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Thanks for the info. I normally use the recommended motor. I used the recommended motor on the Phoenix Cub, RimFire .46. Flies the plane with plenty of authority however, the manufacture recommended maxium prop size is only 11X7. I would have preferred a a larger prop like a 13X8. The only way to increase prop size is to upgrade to a RimFire .55 and 6S. I prefer lighter models (they tend to fly better). I am thinking of filling the mounting holes and mounting an E-Flite Power .46. I know I can swing a 13X8 prop on 4S.

Comment

pdansalvish, Wes and I look at the performance of other planes and try to match with the balsa plane we plane to assemble. We have been successful to this point. Not to say, we will not fail someway down the line. That is why I made the statement in my last response. We are using the motor off of the Flightline 1200mm Spitfire and the three blade prop and spinner of of the TA-152. This can change depending on the first performance test. I guess this is the part of the fun, going out side the box and using something different. I will say that I did not have to re-drill the holes for mounting this motor. That is the method in the madness when you assemble a monster. Good news is not to hard to change out the motor for something stronger. I do like the idea of matching the size of a two stroke motor to the equal of electric power, I consider that in my process of selecting a motor and a scale prop.

Comment

DAY 3, Install motor mount, motor, cowl, and ESC. Guys, this is part of the assembly is dependent on choice of motor. Each motor is going to be a different size. As you can see in the photos, I had to use several spacers, to get the motor shaft correct for the spinner. Please take your time on this procedure, it is critical to get this right. Attaching the cowl is as the instruction manual shows. The ESC and Receiver are from Spektrum, Wes and I are really loving this new technology. That beginning real time telemetry straight to your Spectrum radio and the smart battery technology. I will also show pictures and catalog number of these items. On the prop beginning used, we may also use the Spitfire 4-blade, just to see the performance difference between pervious 3-blade TA-152.

Attached Files

Comment

DAY 4, Installation of Spectrum receiver, and Decals. The choice of the Boozers, has always been the Spectrum brand of electronics. The new technology is awesome, and if you have not checked out this brand, you should. Decals are not hard, but I did cut out all the numbers. High quality and very easy to apply. So, look for the final test, go by The Merry Boozer Channel and see have the LYSANDER does in it maiden flight. Remember: Fly with your buddies and enjoy your sport.
                        Attached Files

Comment

OBTW, the real Westland Lysander used a 3 bladed prop. There is a video of one flying from the Shuttleworth Collection on the net.

Comment

I took these pictures of a Westland Lysander and its history at the National Air and Space Museum's Udvar-Hazy annex a number of years ago. Now I wish I took a few more.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Just picked one of these up ....have both the RimFire .55 and the Flightline 5055-390Kv motor ready to try, Spektrum 60amp ESC, 14x10 prop. Reading other post that I can find the flight performances are all over the map from good to poor......very interested to see how you guys did on your flight!

TwistedGrin

Comment

I plan to deploy an external flight stabilizer with on the fly adjustable gains. Setting up most likely with the requisite components:

Power Package option:
                                Motor: Great Planes Rimfire .55 42-60-480Kv
                                Prop: 14x10E XOAR or MAS 13x12x3 or APC 14x10
                                ESC: 60amp Spektrum Avian Smart ESC

Battery: 6s 45c 5200mAh LiPo
                                Stabilizer: Hobby Eagle A3L
                                Servo: HITec 645Mg
                                Receiver: Spektrum AR620 six channel

TwistedGrin

Comment

I plan on starting my build soon for this bird.....my chosen Pilot: https://www.slimlineproducts.com/product-p/7011.htm

TwistedGrin

Comment

Well my power plant strategy may have just changed with the Boozer's set up from the original 6s plan to a much lighter 4s strategy. This might play well on the nose over tendancies!!

Original 6s plan and weight comparisons:
                                    Great Planes Rimfire .55 480Kv (268g) / HobbyStar 6s 45c 5200mAh LiPo (660g) : 928grams
                                    Power Up 46 530Kv (397g) / G-Force 5s 30c 4000mAh LiPo (505g): 902grams
                                    FlightLine 5055-390kV (410g) / HobbyStar 6s 45c 5200mAh LiPo (660g): 1070grams

The weight difference is about 26grams....noting the Rimfire .55 is lighter (Rimfire vrs Power Up)...so most of the weight is from the battery. MAS 13x12x3 has been shipped....no spinner for now. I think the 6s package may be OK at 26grams heavier.....the landing gear rake forward is something I will definitely try to do if I stay with the 6s power system.

The Boozers have this bird set up on a 4s power system that might do very well and alleviate the nose-over scenario!! The Boozer's landed their 4s 30c 4000mAh at 3.81v per cell at 5minutes so I will step up to the 5000mAh LiPo and still be lighter than a 6s package.
                                    FlightLine 3748-580kV (200g) / Spektrum 4s 30c 5000mAh LiPo (486g): 686grams
                                    Couple the FlightLine 4blade prop and spinner combo (12x7x4)

The old reliable PAEP motors that FMS used to deploy are still out there and I have some...but not sure about the prop connectors.
                                    PAEP 4250-580KV (249g) / Spektrum 4s 30c 4000mAh LiPo 375g): 624grams

The Spektrum 60amp BESC: 56grams

TwistedGrin

Comment

Guys, we successfully maiden this plane and was very pleased with flight performance. Please go to the Boozer channel and watch the video.

Comment

Boozers video link attached here: https://youtu.be/hDmGwowwuQs

Didn't realize I chewed up your thread here Papa

TwistedGrin

Comment

Working...
                                        X