X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangar 9 P-47D Thunderbolt

I'll be starting a new project in the next few weeks. I'm doing a Hangar 9 P-47D Thunderbolt 20cc. I'll be powering it with a Saito FG-21 4 stroke gas engine. I am still in the process of trying to decide the servo's that I'll use. Here are the servo's I was thinking about so far, but I'm really looking for thoughts an input / recommendations.

Hitec - 645MG Analog
    Hitec - 5645MG Digital

Spektrum - S6020 High Torque MG Digital
    Spektrum - A6380 Digital HV MG

Good / bad / indifferent please let me know.
    Thanks.

I just spoke with Horizon Hobby and they recommended either of the following servo's.

Hitec - 5496MH Standard Digital HV Metal Gear
    Hitec - 5625MG Standard Digital High Speed Metal Gear

Again if anyone has thoughts or recommendations let me know.

Comment

I have the olive drab version that came out before the current one. I'm running HS-645's or 625's and they've been great.

Comment

I am putting together the Olive Drab P-47 and next up is the 20cc P-51 I am using A6380 Standard Digital HV High Torque High Speed Metal Gear Aircraft Servos. As for power I am going with the Power 60 470KV.

Comment

Appreciate the Info!! I like hitec and have had good luck with them in the past. I actually ordered all my servo's this morning. I ended up going with the Hitech HS-5645MG. Same as the 645 only the 5645 is the digital version which should give a little finer control with the higher resolution.

Do you guys really like your Olive Drab versions? Anything I should look out for or be aware of going into the assembly once i get started?

Comment

406pilot,

I am still putting mine together. Purchased it NIB in 2002. I only have a few more steps to complete. Installing the retracts now. Once I get it done, I will start on the 20cc Mustang.

Comment

I love my P-47! At the time, it was by far the largest plane I'd flown, which made the maiden pretty intense. But the worst that happened was a nose-over due to not enough up elevator while taxiing. I operate from a grass runway that's not the smoothest, so may not be an issue for others. In the air, it handles like a dream. Loops, rolls... any scale "warbird" maneuver, it has plenty of power for them all. Top GPS reading from a shallow dive was about 110mph. She's smooth & steady in the air. When it comes time to land... she practically lands herself. With full flap and a bit of power on, she comes in nice & slow (literally "a walk"). With the oleo struts, I've never had a bounce (which is rare for me!). But land her like the warbird she is! The one mishap I've had was due to "brain failure" and I tried to stall her onto the ground. Bent a wheel axle, but otherwise she was fine.

Now the BAD: The early production runs of this ARF had some QC issues. I remember getting extremely frustrated & fed up with the assembly. I had trouble seating the wings on the fuselage, and the anti-rotation pins didn't align properly with the holes in the fuselage. Even today, when assembling at the field, one wing (and I can never remember which) has to be installed & secured first, otherwise the other won't go in far enough to be secured. Some people reported that the metal elevator control piece was poorly welded. I think some even had them break during assembly. Wish I could recall what other problems I ran into! All I really remember is I was just about ready to give up on ARFs completely. From what I understand, the QC problems were corrected in later batches (or possibly just the final one?). I'd recommend caution during assembly, all the same.

And just to clarify, this is the olive drab P-47D-1 that came out prior to the current "bare metal" one. As I said, I absolutely love this plane! And that's despite the fact I was ready to just chuck it in the garbage during the assembly. When Horizon got their final batch in and they were marked down... I grabbed a spare. The one I currently fly has the P60B (470Kv), 16x10 thin electric APC prop. The only thing missing is some sort of engine sound.

Comment

CF-105 Thanks for the Info. I just had my local hobby shop order mine from horizon last week. So hopefully some of the old assembly issues have been worked out. I'll be keeping my eyes pealed for the fitment issues etc. I'm really glad to hear your report of the handling and fly ability!!! I'm really excited to get my and start assembly. This will be my first "gas" plane. The sound that Saito 4 stroke gas makes should be just awesome in this bird. I'm hoping it doesn't lack for power with the FG-21 engine.

I need to do some research and see what size of a 4 blade prop i can run on this FG-21 engine. I don't mind running a 2 blade, but i love the P-47 and would really like to keep that scale look with the 4 blade prop.

Comment

Okay, if yours is coming direct from Horizon to your LHS, it's not the olive drab version that I have. These are not the same plane! The dimensions are almost identical, but internally they are different. From what I've picked up from HH reps on other forums, there were issues with the factory that produced the olive version (as well as the 20cc Corsair and the 30cc Spitfire), resulting in those models being dropped. The new, bare metal P-47 is produced at a different factory.

I am new to gas myself! My first gasser is an Escapade 61 with a DLE20. The maiden was abruptly ended due to reversed ailerons, but it'll fly again in the spring. Anyway from what I understand, 4-strokes do not have the power of an equivalent-sized 2-stroke. That FG-21 may do OK, but I doubt a 4-blade is doable. What is beyond doubt is, it will sound awesome!

Comment

I'm looking for recommendations on the electronics setup with this project. How would you guys setup bec's in relation to servo's and landing gear etc.

I've thought about a BEC for the landing gear. A separate BEC for servo's. A separate BEC for the electronic ignition of the Saito FG-21.

What are peoples thoughts about this? Good / Bad ?? Would love to hear what other people are doing on their gas setups etc...
                    Thanks in advance!

Comment

I run a separate 2-cell LiFe battery for the receiver, servos & landing gear. I think it's a 1900 mah. The max voltage from it is low enough that it doesn't require a regulator. On that above-mentioned Escapade, I have a LiFe rx battery and a separate LiFe battery for the ignition.

Comment

Originally posted by 406PIlot View Post
                        I'm looking for recommendations on the electronics setup with this project. How would you guys setup bec's in relation to servo's and landing gear etc.

I've thought about a BEC for the landing gear. A separate BEC for servo's. A separate BEC for the electronic ignition of the Saito FG-21.

What are peoples thoughts about this? Good / Bad ?? Would love to hear what other people are doing on their gas setups etc...
                        Thanks in advance!
                        406pilot,

I am in the final stages of assembling the old Olive Drab P-47. Power is E-Flite Power 60 470KV, Avian 100 AMP ESC, AR6610T receiver and 6 AR638 servos. The main reason for the Avian 100 AMP ESC and AR6610T received is I want to experiment with the new telemetry capabilities along with the SMART batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by CF-105 View Post
                          I run a separate 2-cell LiFe battery for the receiver, servos & landing gear. I think it's a 1900 mah. The max voltage from it is low enough that it doesn't require a regulator. On that above-mentioned Escapade, I have a LiFe rx battery and a separate LiFe battery for the ignition.
                          Appreciate the info. I think i'll do something similar most likely. A power source for the engine ignition an a separate power source for the receiver & servos.

Comment

Got my mine in last week. Started assembly. So far all is fitting good except the servos. A standard size servo (hitec 5645mg) is slightly bigger than the servo mounts. Just some minor sanding/filing and they slide in no problem.

Looking forward to getting the engine mounted and broken in. Hopefully sooner than later I'll be able to get it out for it's maiden.

Comment

Working...
                            X