X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gilatrout View Post

That telemetry is pretty nice. On my planes where I have it, I fly my battery instead of a timer. But even so, eflite is overcharging. HK just announced a similar sized FW190 at $200 less. The difference is not explained by adding a smart esc.
    I have to admit, I do like telemetry. My radio system of choice is the OpenTX JumperT16, running FrSky X8R receivers (up to 16 channels and daisy-chainable telemetry sensors including battery voltage, GPS, and airspeed (pitot tube, which I'm actually running in my Freewing T-33). As someone else has said, the flight timer now becomes my secondary flight-health indication. I use the enunciation of the lowest-cell voltage as primary. I'm now able to keep planes in the air longer, if I wish, and on a couple of occasions, I've detected batteries with waaaaaay too much slump in an EDF and was able to land early, probably avoiding really bad flights.
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by Evan D View Post
      I assumed the 1600... it has its issues so not really worth it to me.
      The Starmax/HK 1.6m FW-190A has serious QC issues. The biggest is the gear. That dang things don't work reliably. I've ordered a LX gear controller, but haven't gotten around to replacing the stock controllers with the LX controllers. So, my 1.6m Wurger sits idle in the to-be-repaired-one-day pile.
      ---
      Warbirder

Comment

[QUOTE=Oxotnik;n294828]

What's the story on the Nowotny Weiss 8 that's in your photo? Is that one of yours?
        No, that's not my plane. I copied that photo from the Net awhile back when researching Nowotny. If I do this scheme, I will paint the plane completely white and go from there. Otherwise, I will have to evaluate various shades of grey to match what I call "U-Boat Grey" as a base tone to work from. It is true that the Eflite looks like a "polka dot fiasco". The only Eflite plane I own is the Twin Otter which I had to modify, but it is a good friend now. The fact is; we have all been hoping for a FlightLine FW190 or Dora in a great scheme and a good price without all the bells and whistles. HH is selling stuff that most folks aren't happy with. I'm not just ranting. There's stuff out there to support this claim...Good things come to those who wait...

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	2C00CB61-FF72-4DE2-962E-F1193DE7FFA5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	294879 I will be doing mine in this scheme of Klaus Bretschneider. I always seem to end up repainting and weathering these days anyway so Repainting the standard scheme is no biggie to me.

Yep, it’s really expensive (especially on the NZ dollar) but I’ve wanted a decent size FW190 A with the right gear stance for years. I would have been happy with a Dora but prefer the snub nose A model myself (sorry lads...). I almost bought an FMS 1400mm last year but missed out as they stopped manufacturing them, I’m glad I didn’t as this looks much nicer and is bang on scale for my 1.6 Spitty. Great it shares the same batteries too.

Now the hard part...saving up....sigh.....in the meantime, I’ll enjoy seeing what you all do with yours.

Cheers
          Kurt

Comment

Originally posted by Beetlemankurt View Post
            Click image for larger version Name:	2C00CB61-FF72-4DE2-962E-F1193DE7FFA5.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	70.8 KB ID:	294879 I will be doing mine in this scheme of Klaus Bretschneider. I always seem to end up repainting and weathering these days anyway so Repainting the standard scheme is no biggie to me.

Yep, it’s really expensive (especially on the NZ dollar) but I’ve wanted a decent size FW190 A with the right gear stance for years. I would have been happy with a Dora but prefer the snub nose A model myself (sorry lads...). I almost bought an FMS 1400mm last year but missed out as they stopped manufacturing them, I’m glad I didn’t as this looks much nicer and is bang on scale for my 1.6 Spitty. Great it shares the same batteries too.

Now the hard part...saving up....sigh.....in the meantime, I’ll enjoy seeing what you all do with yours.

Cheers
            Kurt
            I could’ve written this post myself! Well, except for the FMS 1.4m 190 part, and saving up. I just won’t eat for a couple days. LOL But, I did save $50 by pre-ordering. That’s the part that my wife will understand. We both justify our purchases to each other in terms of how much money we ‘saved’, whenever we buy stuff that we don’t need. (Although I could probably have made the case that my health would’ve suffered if I hadn’t bought this FW-190... depression, regret, and self loathing... the psychiatrist visits would’ve been MUCH more expensive).

That Bretschneider livery looks awesome!! Can’t wait to see it, when you’re done!

Being a warbirder, since childhood, this hobby scratches two big itches for me: collecting exciting warbirds and flying them. When I’m flying RC warbirds, I giggle like a school girl. I don’t mind paying a bit extra if a subject comes out that really interests me. I love having planes in the same scale, too. 1/10 and 1/6, are two scales into which a lot of my planes fall.
            ---
            Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by AirHead View Post
              Click image for larger version

Name:	FW190.JPG
Views:	2417
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	294765

Click image for larger version

Name:	Focke Wulf 190A Walter Nowotny.jpg
Views:	2559
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	294764

I've always wanted to do either one of these schemes. Creating the Walter Nowotny Winter Camo allows you to have a "white canvas" to work on. Once again, I can't believe that a manufacturer goes all the way through production; distribution and marketing only to present a "half baked" scheme for their overly expensive model. I was really hoping for a FlightLine version! It also appears from the videos out there, that the Eflite FW190 and P51 Mustang both need their wheels changed because they are bouncy on landing....
              Those are beautiful. Dang it, I don't want to have to get this plane, but those liveries are sweet.

Comment

I pre-ordered mine as soon as I saw it on the HH website. The Fw-190A-8 is by far my favorite WWII single engine fighter. I have said for years that if anyone produced a proportionally accurate model in the 5' to 6' range I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I ordered the PNP version. I also don't care for all the Spektrum "bells and whistles". I fly with an iX12 transmitter but have replaced the receivers in most of my planes with Admiral or Lemon as I have found them to be more reliable and less finicky. The first item of business when the 190 arrives is to remove the "Frasca" stickers from the gear doors and apply the proper swastikas to the vertical stab I have ordered from Callie. I have studied the 190 and it's many variants for years and I don't have a huge problem with the RLM65 blue base paint. There were more 190s in RLM65 than the lighter RLM76 more commonly used as the base coat on later 109s. Regardless, I welcome this model and with swastikas it will look just fine at 100', "polka dots" and all. Thanks HH (and FMS) for this long-needed addition to my fleet.

Comment

As a clarification to my previous post, RLM65 was used as a base coat and for lower surfaces early in the war and up until sometime in 1943 when the cobalt necessary to produce the blue tint became a scarce commodity due to its use in steel production. RLM76 replaced RLM65 throughout the remainder of the war although many eastern front aircraft continued to use the RLM65 basecoat, usually with green, gray/green and brown camo upper surfaces. The 65/76 debate has gone on for decades and probably will for many more. When I was in IPMS 1/48 scale competition in the '80s and '90s I saw countless shouting matches arise from this very subject. That being said, IMHO the light blue on the model is acceptable in its current tint, especially considering the doubtless lack of quality control and consistency in materiel late in the war. If you've ever seen a non-restored active WWII combat aircraft it becomes quickly evident that within reason, almost anything goes.

Comment

The FW190 is my favorite German WWII Plane and Im planning on getting this one. The paint is horrible so I'm going to do a full re-paint probably. I don't think I have seen any manufacture be able to do good a German camo yet.

Comment

jetdoc I was hoping and refraining from starting or hoping the endless luftwaffe color debate wouldn’t materialize. Those of us that have studied and modeled Luftwaffe aircraft over the years know how endless, and even heated the debates can become. Paint it how you like...

Comment

While waiting for pre-releases to actually be released, what else can we do but critique and speculate? :-)

My problems with the stock paint scheme are 3 fold:
                        1. It is supposed to be a model of a replica, that doesn't appear to have any pedigree back to an actual livery used in WWII. Personally, I'm not keen on models of replicas or of airshow paint schemes, if they have no pedigree back to an authentic paint scheme.
                        2. The stock scheme misses the color of the fuselage of the non-WWII paint scheme that it is trying to replicate.
                        3. The green polka dots are a pitiful attempt at mottling. It is an absolutely hideous, to me anyway.

I am excited to get this Wurger and will repaint it. Repaints are fun to do anyway.
                        ---
                        Warbirder

Comment

Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                          jetdoc I was hoping and refraining from starting or hoping the endless luftwaffe color debate wouldn’t materialize. Those of us that have studied and modeled Luftwaffe aircraft over the years know how endless, and even heated the debates can become. Paint it how you like...

Comment

Agreed. Let's just fly and paint as we like. As I said before, I've seen far too much debate over the years over FS and RLM colors when both have variations due to batch differences, quality control, distance from subject and other factors. What really irks me is for someone to argue colors when their only evidence is an 80 year old photograph. I'm looking forward ti the new 190. Love the stance. Always has a much more menacing look than most other fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                              I am excited to get this Wurger and will repaint it. Repaints are fun to do anyway.
                              Thats the real answer. Any RC'er shouldn't let a stock paint job be the deciding factor on a model they want. It's not always feasible for companies to produce multiple liveries of the same plane and regardless of which you choose, people will like/dislike.

I like the model and might just have to get myself one down the road. And I would be happy to give some business Callie's way and have fun with the rattle cans and airbrush.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post

Thats the real answer. Any RC'er shouldn't let a stock paint job be the deciding factor on a model they want. It's not always feasible for companies to produce multiple liveries of the same plane and regardless of which you choose, people will like/dislike.

I like the model and might just have to get myself one down the road. And I would be happy to give some business Callie's way and have fun with the rattle cans and airbrush.
                                Yep. As can be seen by the Seagull Bf-109E that I recently repainted, a horrendous stock paint job won't stop me from buying a warbird. Things like improper gear stance and mis-shapen canopy will. I hate 2-bladed props on 3 and 4 bladed warbirds, too, but I'm almost always able to change those. I'm loving the stance of this EFlite FW-190A. The Flightline 1.1m FW-190A has a good stance, too!

James, when is Motion going to commission an FW-190D-9 or D-13??? I'd pre-order one today, if it were announced!
                                ---
                                Warbirder

Comment

James I agree with your posts and the others. And I paint most of the planes I own. I just feel for that price point it should look better out of the box. I agree with the can't please everyone all.the time and haters are just going to hate. The plane minus the paint seems awesome. And maybe its not the scheme I would want but it should at least look a little more historic and a little less cartoonish. The FL Spitfires look incredible. Using the Spitfire as a point of comparison, maybe adding the Spektrum rx and telemetry esc would bring the spit into the same price category. I guess the point of what I am saying is, for that price, my expectations are high. I do expect a good paint job and better dots.

All said, I will probably own this plane eventually and enjoy painting it.

Comment

SanExup - I hear you on price point and I can only assume that adding the smart stuff and having HH on the box drives that higher than others (not sure how we sell the 1600 corsair for like $70-$80 less).

But that said, it looks like a solid aircraft that flies really well. But I do notice from seeing a lot of the E-flite aircraft at my club, that they can be very hit or miss on their paint jobs. I am probably biased as I am just around Freewing/FlightLine stuff everyday, but when I see the P-51, or the F-4 and then look at comparable FlightLine ones, they just look more like toys to me. The SU-30 looks great and the FMS Tigercat, but this scheme certainly doesn't work. Reminds me of the new HSD Me262 where I feel for that price, the scheme looks totally off. The Freewing or even Dynam 262's look much better.

But If I wanted a P-51 right now, the EFlite one would be the one to get and Callie and some elbow grease can make it look like anything you desire.

Comment

My theory is, look at the plane not the paint scheme, you can always change that.

Comment

I think HH new that most Luftwaffe enthusiasts are also modelers and figured if they just provided a decent canvas we’d all be happy and that most of us would change the scheme to what we want anyway.

Comment

But polka dots??? My eyes are still bleeding.
                                          ---
                                          Warbirder

Comment

Working...
                                          X