Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I put the finishing touches on my Nowotny Wurger yestereday. She's been thoroughly checked and balanced and is ready to fly (hopefully, this weekend). The White 5 will be added, as soon as I get it from Callie.

Primary source photo.

My hack at it.

I'm pretty pleased with how she's turned out. The RLM70 really makes her stand out. There are a few scale inaccuracies still:
    1. The spinner should be solid RLM 70. The spiral spinner is so iconic and well done, that I'm going to leave it spiral for now, but will very likely repaint it to RLM 70.
    2. There's no evidence that Weiss 5 carried a grunherz emblem. I'm granting myself artistic license to add it, though, since a Nowotny aircraft NEEDS a Green Heart! Plus, I doubt that no one can ever prove that this aircraft NEVER had a grunherz painted on it. LOL
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

• you guys were correct, the issue was in the wing to body servo connector "system." The pins were recessed in the fuselage portion, so I removed the housing they were in, labeled each connector, and just connect them manually once the wing is bolted on. The flaps and gear work now, but it was definitely a nuisance for a plane in this price tier. good looking out on the elevator flex, mine took very little pressure and it was flexing like crazy. I added a wedge of balsa and some glue inside the fuselage, we'll see if that improves anything. impressive QC, HH.

Comment

• the right aileron and light would also lose connection with slight forward pressure on the rear of the wing tip. I had to disassemble the connection and slide the female connector further out of it's housing.

just a heads up.

Comment

• Just finished my redeaux. Will replace the new ESC as the newer Spektrums will not work with a Mr.RC-Sound card. Something to do with the extra line on the throttle so the esc and receiver can talk to each other.
          Attached Files

Comment

• hey everyone, I hate to be a pest but I'm a tad confused by the as3x and safe setup. full disclaimer, I have been flying since the mid 90s - I am very experienced with warbirds, I am a good pilot and I don't NEED this system so please spare me the gyro lecture. This is my first as3x/safe select BNF, and since I paid for it, I want to try it out. I activated the safe select just to fiddle around and get a better understanding, I have previously programmed an AR637T for another plane and found it quite easy and intuitive. This one is not doing what I expected, and doesn't give me any ability to "tune" as3x. I don't understand why it's blocking me from some things, and when I have safe select switched on the plane doesn't give me any auto leveling response.

What I want is 3 flight modes: mode 1 - absolutely nothing.
            mode 2 - as3x stabilization only
            mode 3 - as3x and safe, with auto leveling so I can teach my buddy how to fly warbirds. I want to be able to put it inverted, flip a switch and have it right itself so my buddy is confident he can handle it.

thank you in advance.

Comment

• Mine is coming along despite the weather. I've done some cockpit upgrades and I'm currently printing what I hope will be a replacement pilot.

I'm going for Hermann Graf's tulip scheme. I'll be using waterslide decals where I can't paint. I'm using my little vinyl cutter to make painting masks out of thin plastic film and wide masking tape where there are compound curves. So far it's going pretty well.

I'm going to tackle the RLM76 next. I wanted to avoid repainting everything, but that scale monkey on my back is making me itch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210216_095048_01.jpg
Views:	664
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	299907Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210218_122550_01.jpg
Views:	661
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	299908Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210216_141647_01.jpg
Views:	654
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	299909
              Attached Files

Comment

• My boy Hermann just got out of the printer. I'm pretty pleased at how he came out. Not perfect, but certainly good enough.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210218_210610_01.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	299921

Comment

• My new scheme
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by MANFRED View Post
                    My new scheme
                    Very nice. There are so many cool FW 190 schemes.

Did you repaint the bottom too?

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	20210218_212650.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	299930 I know some might crap a beer stein at what I'm doing, but I chose a more unconventional paint scheme for mine. I have other Focke Wulf planes with more traditional schemes and wanted something different but that was still modelled after an original existing scheme. I still have work to do but this is more or less what I'm going for. And it's really my first attempts with weathering. All rattle can, I need to get an airbrush for future projects but I learned a ton. And I'm happy with the results thus far. I also realize it will need shade when not in the air. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210218_213655.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	299931

Comment

• Manfred, Gilatrout, SanExup,
                        Excellent work, guys!
                        ---
                        Warbirder

Comment

• Working on my paint scheme now. I'm doing red 13. QUESTION: Once the wing tips are plugged in, can they be easily removed?
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Phatbob View Post
                            Working on my paint scheme now. I'm doing red 13. QUESTION: Once the wing tips are plugged in, can they be easily removed?
                            A qualified yes. The wings 'snap' into place and can be unsnapped easily enough. The issue that I'd like to call you attention to, is the crappy hard-mounted connector at the interface. It's really easy to have a pin (or two) out of the male connector when mating. The more you demate/mate, the more likely that you are to destroy a connector. As I have posted earlier, my left outer wing connector didn't survive the first mating. I've since gone to soft-mated connectors.

Nice job of covering up the polka dots with realistic mottling. Did you color-match the RLM 76 and simply covered the polka dots (then mottled with color-matched RLM 75), or did you completely repaint the fuselage?

I see the flight photo and painting guide next to your plane. What's the story/history of the plane that you're modeling?
                            ---
                            Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                              I put the finishing touches on my Nowotny Wurger yestereday. She's been thoroughly checked and balanced and is ready to fly (hopefully, this weekend). The White 5 will be added, as soon as I get it from Callie.

Primary source photo.

My hack at it.

I'm pretty pleased with how she's turned out. The RLM70 really makes her stand out. There are a few scale inaccuracies still:
                              1. The spinner should be solid RLM 70. The spiral spinner is so iconic and well done, that I'm going to leave it spiral for now, but will very likely repaint it to RLM 70.
                              2. There's no evidence that Weiss 5 carried a grunherz emblem. I'm granting myself artistic license to add it, though, since a Nowotny aircraft NEEDS a Green Heart! Plus, I doubt that no one can ever prove that this aircraft NEVER had a grunherz painted on it. LOL
                              Great job on this scheme. There are so many variations of this ship we should see a ton of repaints.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post

Nice job of covering up the polka dots with realistic mottling. Did you color-match the RLM 76 and simply covered the polka dots (then mottled with color-matched RLM 75), or did you completely repaint the fuselage?

I see the flight photo and painting guide next to your plane. What's the story/history of the plane that you're modeling?
                                With the painting, I just took the horizontal stab to Home Depot and had them match all three colors that were on it. I don't know if I'm color correct, but it sure saves me a lot of work. Callie is making my decals as I write.
                                FW-190 Red 13 was flown by Feldwebel Heinz Bar, who had over 200 kills during the war. The Knights Cross and Oak leafs encircling the milestone number 200 on the rudder.
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Phatbob View Post

With the painting, I just took the horizontal stab to Home Depot and had them match all three colors that were on it. I don't know if I'm color correct, but it sure saves me a lot of work. Callie is making my decals as I write.
                                  FW-190 Red 13 was flown by Feldwebel Heinz Bar, who had over 200 kills during the war. The Knights Cross and Oak leafs encircling the milestone number 200 on the rudder.
                                  And, Bar flew in Galland's JV-44 Experten Me-262 Squadron. Great choice. The Flightline 1120mm FW-190 stock livery is also Bar's.

RE: color matching... I did the same thing. I took the horizontal stab into Home Depot for color matching RLM 74/75/76 paint. The satin sheen seems to be a perfect match, when doing touch-up painting.
                                  ---
                                  Warbirder

Comment

• Just finished painting my boy Herr Graf. I really need to work on my faces.

I'm going to call this cockpit basically done.

The figure is the ME-109 pilot sold on CGTrader with some modifications I made. I added an iron cross to his uniform and adjusted the arm and figure to a scale and size that fit in the cockpit. The control stick is the one some one here made (apologies because I don't recall who made it) for the avios Mig17. All were combined and modified in 3D Builder and printed on an elegoo Saturn.

Comment

• the sad part is I filed a support ticket with HH 3 or 4 days ago and they have yet to respond. Way to stand by your "best ever" product, HH. This was my first HH purchase, I should've stayed with Motion.

Comment

• Figuring things out is one step of the process. figuring out how a toy works is another. :) I will get there in time. I've always been a very patient person. I love to decipher a company. I've spent my life with. Building companies, then I will allow myself to let the flaws work for themselves. It's called a retirement plan. Peace be with you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cfreuen20 View Post
                                          hey everyone, I hate to be a pest but I'm a tad confused by the as3x and safe setup. full disclaimer, I have been flying since the mid 90s - I am very experienced with warbirds, I am a good pilot and I don't NEED this system so please spare me the gyro lecture. This is my first as3x/safe select BNF, and since I paid for it, I want to try it out. I activated the safe select just to fiddle around and get a better understanding, I have previously programmed an AR637T for another plane and found it quite easy and intuitive. This one is not doing what I expected, and doesn't give me any ability to "tune" as3x. I don't understand why it's blocking me from some things, and when I have safe select switched on the plane doesn't give me any auto leveling response.

What I want is 3 flight modes: mode 1 - absolutely nothing.
                                          mode 2 - as3x stabilization only
                                          mode 3 - as3x and safe, with auto leveling so I can teach my buddy how to fly warbirds. I want to be able to put it inverted, flip a switch and have it right itself so my buddy is confident he can handle it.

thank you in advance.
                                          Cf... I don't know if you have found your answer yet, but seems how I was in the same situation having never own any version of the AS3X receiver, much less the AR637TA. So what I have found is that in these BNF come the with the TA version (not the AR637T)- which is partially locked and has factory profile preset in it... which specifically means you can't adjust the gains of the AS3X and SAFE modes. I assumed you when you did the binding, you did it so that it would be AS3X mode... so when the receiver is powered on, you can go into Forward programming (I don't know what radio you are using- I have a spektrum radio), and you can assign a flight mode switch, that has the three modes like you want. That's how I currently have it on mine- on the left top three position switch ( I reversed the channel so it would be in the direction I wanted)

If you want to completely unlock it, you of course have to buy the damn programming cable and register/firmware update and reset it. Then it basically becomes AR637T from the factory and you do the base setup, and can set gains and everything else.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
                                          X