X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sfcfury View Post

Cf... I don't know if you have found your answer yet, but seems how I was in the same situation having never own any version of the AS3X receiver, much less the AR637TA. So what I have found is that in these BNF come the with the TA version (not the AR637T)- which is partially locked and has factory profile preset in it... which specifically means you can't adjust the gains of the AS3X and SAFE modes. I assumed you when you did the binding, you did it so that it would be AS3X mode... so when the receiver is powered on, you can go into Forward programming (I don't know what radio you are using- I have a spektrum radio), and you can assign a flight mode switch, that has the three modes like you want. That's how I currently have it on mine- on the left top three position switch ( I reversed the channel so it would be in the direction I wanted)

If you want to completely unlock it, you of course have to buy the damn programming cable and register/firmware update and reset it. Then it basically becomes AR637T from the factory and you do the base setup, and can set gains and everything else.

Hope that helps!
    I bound it into safe mode, and went into forward programming just as I did with a previous unlocked 637t and set up 3 flight modes, but 2 of them appear to be identical. one is safe mode on, and while testing the plane doesn't seem to display any self leveling responses, and the other mode is safe off and as3x is obviously on. I can see the gyro responding, although very lightly. I sure would like some more flexibility with this, and I'm not interested in buying the programming cable. I don't have a PC anyways.

I should have bought the PNP version with the standard 637T, rather than the BNF.

Comment

• My apologies- safe mode for all 3 functions. So something I noticed (i'm learning this whole process), that when you put it in AS3X, you have to bump the throttle to at least 25% one time while its in that mode before the servo's do anything. If you bump the throttle while it's off, then switch to AS3X, they don't move. You have to do the bump while its in that mode. Safe seems to work with/without bumping the throttle (or maybe as long as it has bumped in any mode)... so at this point for me it seems that the three are working. I know when i have it in safe mode, and flip it over, the ailerons are trying very hard to right the plane.

Comment

• Originally posted by sfcfury View Post
        My apologies- safe mode for all 3 functions. So something I noticed (i'm learning this whole process), that when you put it in AS3X, you have to bump the throttle to at least 25% one time while its in that mode before the servo's do anything. If you bump the throttle while it's off, then switch to AS3X, they don't move. You have to do the bump while its in that mode. Safe seems to work with/without bumping the throttle (or maybe as long as it has bumped in any mode)... so at this point for me it seems that the three are working. I know when i have it in safe mode, and flip it over, the ailerons are trying very hard to right the plane.
        no matter what settings I have it on, the plane does not attempt to right itself, and I have activated as3x. I might create a new profile and start over, this one is downloaded from spektrum website.

Comment

• Well I will say that is that is the one thing I didn't do, simply b/c I didn't know where to go and get it... was use the BNF profile. I just created a a normal plane plane profile etc... when I did the binding procedures (for safe mode setting lol) the forward programming showed up etc.

Comment

• I maidened my FW-190 today. I had my dorkcam going, but the stupid thing cut off, even before I took off. So no video. Sorry.

I CG’d her at the front of the recommended band (at the 105mm mark). The winds were lowsy... steady at 14 mph, gusting to 22. I did a no-flaps takeoff and as soon as the tail came up, she lifted off the ground. This was partly due to the headwind being at or above stall speed and too much up trim in the elevator. It took me a few passes to get her close to trim (had too much up trim and some right roll). After getting her close to trimmed out, I did a couple low-level passes and a couple rolls and Immelmanns. They were easy and nothing unusual happened. Landing was pretty treacherous. There were a lot of rotors coming off the tree line, and I was getting bounced around a lot. The first approach for landing went really badly when I got close to the ground; I powered up and went around. I had dropped half flaps, and that really worked against me in the blustery wind. The second approach was better. Flaps stayed retracted, and I came in a good bit hotter. I had a noticeable bounce but gave her some throttle and eased her in for a good second landing. I’ll log that as two successful landings. LOL

I can’t really give a decent summary of her flight characteristics because with the blustery winds. I had to work every minute of the flight. It wasn’t a fun flight at all. I do, however, expect her to fly fine in favorable winds.

I did get a few photos at the field.

---
            Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
              I maidened my FW-190 today. I had my dorkcam going, but the stupid thing cut off, even before I took off. So no video. Sorry.

I CG’d her at the front of the recommended band (at the 105mm mark). The winds were lowsy... steady at 14 mph, gusting to 22. I did a no-flaps takeoff and as soon as the tail came up, she lifted off the ground. This was partly due to the headwind being at or above stall speed and too much up trim in the elevator. It took me a few passes to get her close to trim (had too much up trim and some right roll). After getting her close to trimmed out, I did a couple low-level passes and a couple rolls and Immelmanns. They were easy and nothing unusual happened. Landing was pretty treacherous. There were a lot of rotors coming off the tree line, and I was getting bounced around a lot. The first approach for landing went really badly when I got close to the ground; I powered up and went around. I had dropped half flaps, and that really worked against me in the blustery wind. The second approach was better. Flaps stayed retracted, and I came in a good bit hotter. I had a noticeable bounce but gave her some throttle and eased her in for a good second landing. I’ll log that as two successful landings. LOL

I can’t really give a decent summary of her flight characteristics because with the blustery winds. I had to work every minute of the flight. It wasn’t a fun flight at all. I do, however, expect her to fly fine in favorable winds.

I did get a few photos at the field.

Although I would never maiden or try to properly trim a plane in blustery winds it will definitely show you how good your pilot skills are. Good luck and good flying.​​

Comment

• Originally posted by boomer108 View Post

Although I would never maiden or try to properly trim a plane in blustery winds it will definitely show you how good your pilot skills are. Good luck and good flying.​​
                I was only good enough to not crash. The first approach was almost the last approach. LOL
                ---
                Warbirder

Comment

• how do the wings go on or better yet after you are done how do you get the wings unhinged?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ron1950 View Post
                    how do the wings go on or better yet after you are done how do you get the wings unhinged?
                    The center-wing section is held in place with 4 screws. The outer wings 'snap' into place. The outer wings unsnap to take them back off and the inner wing unscrews from the fuselage. It's easy. The hard-mounted connectors are more of a concern than the mechanical mounting of the wing sections.
                    ---
                    Warbirder

Comment

• Oxotnik Congrats on the maiden! Not sure how much longer I can resist this one.....

Comment

• Twowingtj , thanks! I was glad to get her into the air finally, after getting the repaint completed. Now, I'm looking forward to flying it again on a nice day.

FW-190's are probably my favorite warbird. I didn't hesitate to punch the pre-order button when I saw the announcement. Now, that I've repainted it and have put one flight on her, I'm really liking her and am glad to have her. With that said, though, if the FW-190 wasn't such a favorite plane of mine, I probably would not have bought one, for few reasons:
                        1. I think that EFlite warbirds and jets are overly expensive. I don't want to pay for the added cost of SMART technologies and SAFE SELECT.
                        2. EFlite warbirds, in my opinions, have been hideously ugly lately. They're modeling airshow warbirds. What the hell? With so many great liveries out there (and many that have never been modeled), they chose ugly airshow colors, and then do a poor job on the paint jobs? The stock paint job on this FW-190 still makes me want to puke. If I hadn't been able to repaint this warbird, I would NOT have bought one.
                        3. After the fact (ie, after completing the assembly), I was really disappointed in the design and construction quality of this plane. The hard-mounted interface connectors are a great concept, but seem to fail in practice, more often than not. They certainly did with me. The wimpy elevator pushrod is at the point of making me mad. What the hell were they thinking? A flexing pushrod for the elevator is a crash waiting to happen. This is an incredibly poor design choice. Luckily, both of these items were easy for me to correct. It just irritates the piss out of me that an overly expensive warbird has design/construction issues that you'd expect to see in a crappy Dynam warbird.
                        ---
                        Warbirder

Comment

• Oxotnik
                          So tell us how ya really feel about Eflite Chuck Your opinion has not waivered from the beginning (post #10).
                          I'm just like you pard and am not bashful about shooting it straight about the industries pricing idiosyncrasies.
                          Congrats on getting your Nowotny maidened especially in nerve testing winds. Keep those Axis birds in the air so the rest of us have some targets.
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                            Oxotnik
                            So tell us how ya really feel about Eflite Chuck Your opinion has not waivered from the beginning (post #10).
                            I'm just like you pard and am not bashful about shooting it straight about the industries pricing idiosyncrasies.
                            Congrats on getting your Nowotny maidened especially in nerve testing winds. Keep those Axis birds in the air so the rest of us have some targets.
                            Thanks. I do kinda have a thing for crooked cross aircraft, don't I? :-) In an RCG Thread, a few minutes ago, I was just advising a friend that he needs to get a crooked cross warbird or two, to keep his P-51, P-38, P-47, and F4U honest. Believe it or not, I do actually have some 'Good Guy' warbirds. LOL

Sometimes, on topics like this (foamy pricing), I'm tempted to tell myself, "Let it go, Indiana. Let it go." LOL
                            I never expect inexpensive foamies to have have the same quality of components that I'd put into an ARF that I'm outfitting on my own. Cheap components is a large reason that foamies are as inexpensive as they are. I think that many flyers that have gotten into this hobby after foamies had become 'good,' don't really understand that a 1.5m warbird ARF would probably exceed $1000 bucks, if you were putting the electronics in it yourself. I don't expect EFlite foamies to have the same quality as a kit-build or an ARF. What gets my goat about HH-family warbirds is that they want to dumb-down warbirds by putting SAFE-select crap in them and have recently started putting SMART components in them (and, of course, wanting their customers to buy SMART charging systems). I think it's stupid for a person who needs SAFE, to be flying warbirds. (Well, with that said, I've heard the argument and can't argue against it, that if a guy just wants a Mustang to fly lazy circles around the sky, what's wrong with him getting a SAFE Mustang?) So, by dumbing down their aircraft, they're jacking up the prices for those of us who won't use that stuff. Then, on top of that, they figure that if they charge more, customers will assume that it's a better product because it costs more than the competition. With that said, AS3X is a very fine 3-axis stabilization system. The planes that I have with AS3X fly amazingly well. Even though I don't need AS3X in planes like the 1.5m FW-190, I'd never turn AS3X off, or swap the receiver. So, one good thing, and a bunch of bad things....
                            Let it go, Indiana. Let it go.
                            ---
                            Warbirder

Comment

• Oxotnik I've got your six with a crooked cross bird as well. We'll keep Ol' Charlie on the run LOL.

The only birds I've got with AS3X, at this point, are UMXs. Suppose I'll have to try it out at some point on larger HH birds.

Thanks for your unbiased opinion of the FW. The 190 has always been my favorite single engine WWII axis bird as well. The 102" Black Horse 190 is calling a little stronger than this one.

Comment

• oxotnik -off topic, but how do you like that BH Do-335? I have their 2000mm spit, and like it quite a bit. the 335 was certainly intriguing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cfreuen20 View Post
                                  oxotnik -off topic, but how do you like that BH Do-335? I have their 2000mm spit, and like it quite a bit. the 335 was certainly intriguing.
                                  Why? What have you heard? It's all lies!!!

LOL. Well, she is no more. I did a terrible dumb-thumb and smashed her into the ground. She smashed so hard that the two batteries caught on fire, and the young man who was helping me pick up the pieces handed me three 3mm wood screws saying, "Here, you can use these again." The short story is that it was late morning and the Sun was still on the other side of the runway. I came down the runway, medium height, and rolled her. As soon as the roll started, she went into the Sun. When she came out of the Sun her wings were mostly level and nose down a bit. Thinking that I'd completed the roll, I gave her up elevator. But.... she had only half rolled... and DOWN is UP and UP is expensive... very, very expensive.

I really liked the BH 335. I ordered it as soon as it was announced (there's a definite theme here...). The BH ARF is well constructed. I installed two 5055 motors (390kv, IIRC) with MAS 16x10x3 props. She had plenty of power. I flew her on a pair of 6S-5AH (plugged in parallel). She was very stable, flew well, had gobs of power. Landed easily, but had to keep the speed up. What I didn't like about her is that the ventral stab is integral to the fuselage. With much of a flare, or if gear failed such that a belly landing was required, the tail (and thus the rear fuselage) was going to be ripped off. So, I decided not to get another one, after smiting mine.
                                  ---
                                  Warbirder

Comment

• A good review of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post

Why? What have you heard? It's all lies!!!

LOL. Well, she is no more. I did a terrible dumb-thumb and smashed her into the ground. She smashed so hard that the two batteries caught on fire, and the young man who was helping me pick up the pieces handed me three 3mm wood screws saying, "Here, you can use these again." The short story is that it was late morning and the Sun was still on the other side of the runway. I came down the runway, medium height, and rolled her. As soon as the roll started, she went into the Sun. When she came out of the Sun her wings were mostly level and nose down a bit. Thinking that I'd completed the roll, I gave her up elevator. But.... she had only half rolled... and DOWN is UP and UP is expensive... very, very expensive.

I really liked the BH 335. I ordered it as soon as it was announced (there's a definite theme here...). The BH ARF is well constructed. I installed two 5055 motors (390kv, IIRC) with MAS 16x10x3 props. She had plenty of power. I flew her on a pair of 6S-5AH (plugged in parallel). She was very stable, flew well, had gobs of power. Landed easily, but had to keep the speed up. What I didn't like about her is that the ventral stab is integral to the fuselage. With much of a flare, or if gear failed such that a belly landing was required, the tail (and thus the rear fuselage) was going to be ripped off. So, I decided not to get another one, after smiting mine.
                                      LOL I didn't hear anything, I was just looking at the list in your signature.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cfreuen20 View Post

LOL I didn't hear anything, I was just looking at the list in your signature.
                                        Ah. I haven't deleted it from my list of planes. I guess I should, but that'd be like finally admitting that my beloved is actually gone. I'm not quite at that stage of mourning. LOL

Someone has also commented on a video or two of my Do-335 within the last few days.

Seriously, the BH Do-335 is a fine aircraft. As I'd set it up with dual 6S batteries and a pair of Power 60 class motors, she was heavily wing loaded. She flew fine, was very predictable, and landed well. Just had to keep her speed up. She doesn't, however, like to do a Split-S maneuver from below 100'. LOL

I really regret dumb-thumbing her so badly.
                                        ---
                                        Warbirder

Comment

• Double posted. My apologies.
                                          ---
                                          Warbirder

Comment

Working...
                                          X