Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Nexa 1560mm T-34C Turbo Mentor - ARF Thread

T-34C Turbo Mentor 1560mm (61.4") Wingspan - ARF from Nexa - NXA1020-001

The Beechcraft T-34 Mentor is an American propeller-driven, single-engined, military trainer aircraft derived from the Beechcraft Model 35 Bonanza. The earlier versions of the T-34, dating from around the late 1940s to the 1950s, were piston-engined. These were eventually succeeded by the upgraded T-34C Turbo-Mentor, powered by a turboprop engine. The T-34 remains in service more than six decades after it was first designed.

The Nexa T-34C Turbo Mentor is a .50 size electric or gas option scale series warbird with a 1560mm wingspan, constructed primarily from balsa wood and covered with a fuel-resistant covering. This ARF requires assembly and installation of your choice of servos and power system, and includes flaps, painted pilot and other scale details. The large battery hatch affords ample room for either electric or gas setups. To complete the scale appeal of this T-34C, the model includes electric retracts and scale struts. Impress at your flying field with this iconic stunner!
    Fully Covered and Detailed

The Nexa T-34C Turbo Mentor comes fully covered including simulated panel lines, rivets, nomenclature and weathering detail.
    Scale Details Throughout

There is no shortage of scale details with this T-34C including functional flaps, painted pilot, electric retracts and metal main struts.
    Prehinged and Installed Control Surfaces

All control surfaces come out of the box fully prehinged and installed for your convenience.
    Large Battery Hatch

The T-34C has a large battery hatch area to fit an array of LiPo battery sizes.
    Features:
    • Complete Balsa and lite-ply construction for rigidity and durability
    • Covered from tip to tail in scale details including weathering, functional flaps, printed simulated panel lines and rivets
    • Fiberglass cowling for strength and durability
    • The hand-painted pilot is ready for your added cockpit details
    • All control surfaces come out of the box pre-hinged and installed for convenience
    • Large battery hatch allows for your chosen electric or gas setup
    Includes:
    • Nexa T-34C Turbo Mentor 1560mm (61.4") Wingspan - ARF
    • Electric retracts, wheels and struts
    • Fuel tank, hardware and servo trays
    Requires:Gas Requires:
    Customer Note
    Nexa ARF models are constructed out of balsa wood and plywood. These are not foam models. The assembly of balsa wood ARF aircraft requires basic model building skills including the installation of servos, ESC, and motor (or gas engine).
    PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:

AGE LEVEL : 14 AND UP
    SKILL LEVEL : INTERMEDIATE
    BUILD TIME : 6+ HOURS
    Model Scale 1/7
    Wingspan 1560mm / 61.4in
    Length 1170mm / 46in
    Weight 3200g / 112.8oz
    CG (Center of Gravity) 128mm from the leading edge of the wing's root
    Power System 400kV Brushless outrunner motor for electric or 2-stroke for gas (required)
    Electronic Speed Control 65A (required)
    Propeller / EDF 15x8 2-blade for electric or 15x8 gas 2-blade for gas (required)
    Servos 45g metal gear standard: left aileron, right aileron, elevator, rudder
    17g metal gear standard: left flap, right flap
    Landing Gear Electric retractable (included)
    Required Battery 6 Cell 22.2V 4000 mAh LiPo Battery (required)
    Required Radio 7+ Channel (required)
    Ailerons Yes
    Elevator Yes
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps Yes
    Lights No
    Hinge Type Nylon
    Material Balsa and light plywood
    Skill Level Intermediate
    Build Time 6+ Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoors

Any report on the landing gear, is it shock strut and sturdy enough?

Comment

landing gear appears ok as it has metal trunions the nose gear steering is a challenge at least it was for me.. its a nice looking ARF and easy assembly.. if u buy one get a 1/4 inch dowel for the wings as its not in the box btw yes it has compression shocks on all 3 gear

Comment

ive just finished mine but not flown yet Click image for larger version

Name:	t34 13.jfif
Views:	1365
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	298184

Comment

I finished my T 34 in three days and flew it today. Very pleased with the entire project and the plane flew great. there is a few things I have issues with, first, I used a separate servo for nose gear steering. You can mount it under the battery tray and use a metal rod with a metal clevis attached to the steering bracket and one of the rotating rod connecters on the servo horn for easy adjustments. The other thing I would change is the four bolts used for mounting an electric motor are heavy and it takes quite a bit of adjustment to get the offset correct. I think a plywood box setup would be better. Otherwise this is a good quality model and a nice smooth flying scale looking airplane.

Comment

i found the same nose wheel steering problem as you did, the plans were made by someone that never tryed to make it work there way lol used a seperate servo but not sure how u mounted yours.. did u put it facing the bottom of the plane? ill have to look into that as mine is on a servo reverser facing up and the rod has 3 or four bends in it

Comment

Decided to mount the steering servo from bottom of the fuse. Had to cut the covering and sone of the cardboard wing tube to get it in all the control rod needed was a z bend and then cut a pease of white covering over the hole. Seems much better arangement and its working so you cant beat that lol

Comment

I mounted the steering servo right next to the nose gear from the bottom. There is a cutout in the battery tray that a small servo will fit in but it's too hard to put screws in so I glued it. That way the pushrod is a straight line to the steering arm, works fine. Another mod I've made is to instal a spring loaded latch for the canopy, much easier and quicker than the screws going through the fuselage sides. The latch came off of a wrecked Freewing EDF jet. Just cut a slot right behind the canopy and glue it in, then put a hole in back of the canopy to hold it and use some thin CA to firm up the balsa where the hole is. I've flown the T-34 a couple of dozen times now and I'm very pleased with the performance. I'm using the Admiral Carbon 5100 MAH bats and I'm getting 6 to 7 minute flight times cruising at at half throttle with some various maneuvers which may require a burst of full throttle. All in all this airplane flies really nice.

Comment

swo thanks for the info i used the hole in the battery tray for a full size servo i had..to get it in i had to cut a peace of the cardboard tube for the alum wing spar but its all good and ran the rod down the side through the cut outs with one z bend..it seems to be a much better connection then the set up i had from the top of the tray... maiden today i think it will be fine now

Comment

t34 maiden flys great but needed alot of right and up but all is good now the nose gear strut is rotten as it seems to lean one way then the other at the spring section ill find another one and replace it for sure

Nexa T34 maiden - YouTube
                    (1) Nexa T34 landing - YouTube

Comment

Congrats on the maiden Ron!
                      Great looking T-34!

Comment

Glad to see you got it up and down successfully. Mine needed the same trim but once set it was great. I'm flying off of a hard surface so the landing gear haven't been any problem, although you could have a defective nose gear strut. Enjoy it and hopefully you'll have many more great flights.

Comment

Replaced the nose strut i think it was a avanti s nose gear just has to trim the wheel well opening slightly

Comment

would you all be kind enough to upload some pictures of your nose wheel set up?
                            Thank you in advance.

Comment

Colwell i cant get to it right now but what i did was installed a servo from the bottom of the fuse where the throttle servo would be if nitro. Then ran the 2/56 rod with a bend or two to the steering arm and adjust as needed. It sometimes gets stuck on retraction but its as good as i could get

Comment

Information on my assembly:
                                • Maiden – 2/2/2024
                                • Motor – Cobra 4130/14 450kv
                                • ESC – 100-amp Spektrum Smart ESC (SPMXAE1100) – Overkill but was cheaper and lighter than the Spektum 80 amp)
                                • Prop – MAS 14/7/3 – Static test pulls 57 amps, inflight 53.5Amps
                                • Servos – HS-625MG (4) and HS-85MG (2 for flaps)
                                • Rx – AR10360T with SPM9747 remote
                                • Servos – HS65MG for ailerons, HS125MG for elevator
                                • 6 Minutes on 6S3300
                                Review
                                I am not convinced that I am the best person to review an ARF kit because I am primarily a balsa builder and have only assembled one ARF previously. From my perspective the construction of this ARF is good quality, the hardware provided is good and the instructions are adequate with a couple of exceptions mentioned below. This is not a kit that I would recommend for a first time ARF assembler but should not be a problem for those a bit more experienced. My plane is set up REAFFTG on a 10 channel Rx, with the three extra channels being used for nose wheel steering, thrust reverse and ASX3/SAFE control.
                                • As discussed by others, the primary issue while assembling this ARF is that the steering linkage for the recommended nose gear is on the right side (unchangeable) but the assembly directions assume that it is on the left. Looking at the problem, I saw three possible solutions:
                                o My initial plan was to get a nose retract with steering on the left side. I purchased the Eflight 25-46 Size retract set (EFLG330) for this purpose. I found that the Eflight gear would fit in this model with minor modifications, but the Nexa nose strut does not fit the Eflight nose retract. (The mains do fit.) I decided to save the all-metal Eflight retracts for use in case the lighter plastic Nexa gear fail.
                                o I also looked at the possibility of moving the rudder servo to the right side of the model and putting the elevator on the left. There is adequate access inside to move the linkage tubes, but this would necessitate a shorter rudder servo arm due to limited space between the servo and the side of the model.
                                o I opted for a dedicated nose wheel steering servo as others have done. Mine is located just aft of the joiner tube between the elevator and rudder servos. Instead of using a Y cable with the rudder servo, I put the NWS on its own channel. This allows the nose steering to be trimmed separately from the rudder. The NWS channel is set up with a mix from the rudder that is only active when the landing gear switch is down. This keeps the nose wheel from turning when retracted.
                                • A smaller issue with this kit is in regard to the battery compartment. If retracts are used, the nose wheel raises through the floor of the battery compartment when the gear are retracted. As a result, any battery (or fuel tank) mounted directly to the floor of the battery compartment would interfere with gear retraction. My solution was to build a false floor in the compartment using lite ply.
                                • On my model, there was a lot of paint on the inside of the wing T-nuts, making it very difficult to mount the wings the first time.
                                • As a result of the bevels on the flaps, they will only deploy down on this model. This prevents mixing the ailerons to the flaps for increased role rate. Not a big deal, just FYI.
                                • The recommended servos are a little large for the openings cut in the kit. Easy fix with a file.
                                • I really wish that the plastic pieces for the horizontal stab leading edge extensions were better quality. From a distance they look nice but up close you can see that the edge that is glued to the fuselage is curled and will not sit flush.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Mark for your experienced input. I have one of these myself to build one day. Your input is very much appreciated. I might hit you up when the time comes. Thanks a bunch

Comment

Working...
                                  X