Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official Nexa 1540mm A-24 Banshee - ARF Thread

A-24 Banshee 1540mm (60.6") Wingspan - ARF from Nexa - NXA1018-001

The Douglas SBD Dauntless is a World War II American naval scout plane and dive bomber that was manufactured by Douglas Aircraft from 1940 through 1944. The SBD ("Scout Bomber Douglas") was the United States Navy's main carrier-based scout/dive bomber from mid-1940 through mid-1944. During its combat service, the SBD proved to be an excellent naval scout plane and dive bomber. It possessed long range, good handling characteristics, maneuverability, potent bomb load, great diving characteristics from the perforated dive brakes, good defensive armament, and ruggedness. One land-based variant of the SBD – omitting the arrestor hook — was purpose-built for the U.S. Army Air Forces, as the A-24 Banshee.

The Nexa A-24 Banshee is a .46 size electric or gas option scale series warbird with a 1540mm wingspan, constructed primarily from balsa wood and covered with a fuel-resistant covering. This ARF requires assembly and installation of your choice of servos and power system, and includes flaps, painted pilot, machine gun, antenna and other scale details. The large battery hatch affords ample room for either electric or gas setups. To complete the scale appeal of this beautiful A-24 Banshee, the model includes electric retracts and scale struts. Impress at your flying field with this iconic stunner!
    Fully Covered and Detailed

The Nexa A-24 Banshee comes fully covered including simulated panel lines, rivets, nomenclature and weathering detail.
    Scale Details Throughout

There is no shortage of scale details with this A-24 including functional and distinctive perforated split flaps, antenna, machine guns, painted pilot, electric retracts and metal main struts.
    Prehinged and Installed Control Surfaces

All control surfaces come out of the box fully prehinged and installed for your convenience.
    Sized Right, Easy To Transport

The A-24 at just over 1500mm wingspan marries ease of transport while still having a nice presence both static and airborne.
    FEATURES:
    • Complete Balsa and lite-ply construction for rigidity and durability
    • Covered from tip to tail in scale details including weathering, functional perforated split flaps, printed simulated panel lines and rivets
    • Fiberglass cowling for strength and durability
    • The hand-painted pilots are ready for your added cockpit details
    • All control surfaces come out of the box pre-hinged and installed for convenience
    • Flaps, antenna, guns and more complete the fantastic scale appeal
    • Large battery hatch allows for your chosen electric or gas setup
    INCLUDES:
    • Nexa A-24 Banshee 1540mm (60.6") Wingspan - ARF
    • Electric retracts, wheels and struts
    • Fuel tank, hardware and servo trays
    REQUIRES:GAS REQUIRES:
    • 2 or 4 stroke (.46 - .70) engine
    • 2 blade gas propeller (size depends on engine)
    Customer Note
    Nexa ARF models are constructed out of balsa wood and plywood. These are not foam models. The assembly of balsa wood ARF aircraft requires basic model building skills including the installation of servos, ESC, and motor (or gas engine).
    PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS:

AGE LEVEL : 14 AND UP
    SKILL LEVEL : INTERMEDIATE
    BUILD TIME : 6+ HOURS
    Model Scale 1/8
    Wingspan 1540mm / 60.6in
    Length 1060mm / 41.7in
    Weight 3200g / 112.87oz
    CG (Center of Gravity) 92-96mm from the leading edge of the wing's root
    Power System 400kV Brushless outrunner motor for electric or 2-4-stroke for gas (required)
    Electronic Speed Control 65A (required)
    Propeller / EDF 15x8 2-blade for electric (required)
    Servos 45g metal gear standard: left aileron, right aileron, elevator, rudder
    9g metal gear standard: left flap, center flap, right flap
    Landing Gear Electric retractable (included)
    Required Battery 6 Cell 22.2V 4000 mAh LiPo Battery (required)
    Required Radio 7+ Channel (required)
    Ailerons Yes
    Elevator Yes
    Rudder Yes
    Flaps Yes
    Lights No
    Hinge Type Nylon
    Material Balsa and light plywood
    Skill Level Intermediate
    Build Time 6+ Hours
    Recommended Environment Outdoors

I know this is the for the 1540mm Banshee, this post is also about the VQ model 1540mm Dauntless, since Motion sells the Nexa 81" instead. Finally found a set of the 1540 Dauntless at a hobby dealer about 2 hours from me. Drove up to his place. Got a good deal since the guy is selling out. NIB, and to sweeten the deal, he saved me some money because I bought both birds(one for a spare incase of a crash). Take a look at the pictures. NIB, I opened them there with him to check them out for any damages.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0108.jpg
Views:	1252
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	305026Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0110.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	305027Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0112.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	305028Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0113.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	305029
    You can see that both boxes are Dauntless, but upon opening them I found that one was packed with the Banshee version. I know that VQ is done and is now NEXA. I will assume that nothing can be done at this point in the game. Can PVC be painted? LOL

Comment

I've got a couple of questions about this plane. Is it remotely possible to set up this plane for a 6 channel radio? Could I use only the outer flaps on a Y connector and not use the center section? How is the engine intended to mount, inverted? upright?

Comment

Originally posted by msdt74 View Post
        I know this is the for the 1540mm Banshee, this post is also about the VQ model 1540mm Dauntless, since Motion sells the Nexa 81" instead. Finally found a set of the 1540 Dauntless at a hobby dealer about 2 hours from me. Drove up to his place. Got a good deal since the guy is selling out. NIB, and to sweeten the deal, he saved me some money because I bought both birds(one for a spare incase of a crash). Take a look at the pictures. NIB, I opened them there with him to check them out for any damages.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0108.jpg
Views:	1252
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	305026Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0110.jpg
Views:	1161
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	305027Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0112.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	305028Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0113.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	141.0 KB
ID:	305029
        You can see that both boxes are Dauntless, but upon opening them I found that one was packed with the Banshee version. I know that VQ is done and is now NEXA. I will assume that nothing can be done at this point in the game. Can PVC be painted? LOL
        Case in point VQ is still alive and well. At least I found their outlet stateside https://www.legendhobby.com/product-...arbird-models/

Comment

yesamen@rogers.com

The outer surfaces are usually referred to as ailerons, the inner ones are flaps. The ailerons control roll by moving in opposing directions. Flaps move in one direction and provide lift at slower speeds, takeoff and landing. Yes you could set it up with the flaps fixed but I'm not sure why you'd want to. I do believe you could have both flaps and ailerons with a 6 channel receiver. You will need Y cables for both ailerons and flaps. That's 2 channels, leaving you 4 open slots on your receiver. Rudder and landing gear, another 2 channels, leaving you 2 open slots. Throttle would take up another, leaving you 1 open channel/slot. I'm assuming you're wanting to use an IC engine vs an electric motor, based on your question. I don't know anything about rc engines. I know some maybe have a remote start that would use that remaining channel but I'm not sure. My buddy flies glow or engine planes and I usually move away when he brings it out because of the noise and smell and all the cursing he seems to do when flying it.🙂

I joke but I hope I helped you a little. Yes, to the 6 channel but I don't think you'd have to give up using the flaps.

Comment

I think you misunderstood me. I know what ailerons are. The Dauntless has three flaps which I believe would require a 7 channel settup to use all 3.When I said "outer flaps" I was referring to the 2 flaps inboard on the wing. To repeat the question, can I use these 2 flaps only and forgo the use of the center flap thereby using a total of 6 channels?

Comment

And I have no idea why using glow engines involves cursing. I've been flying with glow for 50 years and seldom have a problem as long as I have good plug and properly tuned engine. I realise that glow engines involve a learning curve but when that was all there was you leaned or you didn't fly. I have no patience for people who are unteachable and then bad mouth a perfectly good engine out of ignorance.

Comment

yesamen@rogers.com Oh crap! My sincere apologies, I shouldn't have commented at all.

And yeah, my buddy has a hard time with his glow. Not sure why, as I said I know nothing about them. It just seems like constant frustration for him. And thus cursing.

For surely I'm not bad mouthing them. I just said its nothing that interests me. No big deal, not everyone likes electric motors and the caveats of flying with them. They have a learning curve as well.

So, lesson learned, I shouldn't have commented, at all, and did assume the questions were more basic.

Again, my apologies. I certainly meant no offense. It can be difficult to convey tone of discussion across the internet. It was an attempt to be helpful.

For surely I personally wish to remain teachable. I'm sure another helpful person with more knowledge on the specific subjects will help. I hope you find your solution. It is a beautiful plane.

I must remember to comment with more prudence. Cheers! It was all in friendly intent!

Comment

And I also do believe you can use a 3 way for those flaps and still use a 6 channel. But this is just my guess at this point.

Comment

• OV10
                    OV10 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No need for a guess because yes indeed the 3 way for flaps is the easiest and best way to get outer and center flaps working together.
                    That is what I did after I separated the upper dive flaps from the lowers and put them(uppers) on a 7th channel.

Well I hope that can be done but either way I’m not so concerned with scale fidelity that I need to have the center flap working. I just like the Dauntless and I have really sweet K&B 61 to stick in the nose.

Comment

Hey I figured it out!!! I plugged one Y connector into another Y connector and viola 3 matched flap servos work on the 3 position flap switch 😁😁😁 Just gotta make sure I'm using a sufficiently strong flight pack to handle that many servos and Bob's your uncle 🤣🤣🤣

Comment

Nice! That's got to be satisfying! It's a beautiful plane. And all of the flap panels seem like an intrinsic part of the charm of this airframe. Congratulations!

I've had my eye on it for a while but prefer it as an SBD. And I'd like it with an arrestor hook. It seems like a perfect size for electric as well.

Comment

Yes with the advancing technology in electric propulsion that would be a sweet little plane. I understand that they have no bad flying habits. Even though I plan to use a .61 glow, I'm sure it would be ok with a good .46. The Dauntless and my Alien Aircraft Pinwheel are the smallest planes I will likely ever fly. The bigger they are the better they fly!

Comment

Does anyone have the plans for mounting the Admiral GP10 5030-400Kv Brushless Motor?

Answer: watched the video for the nexa P-40 build, it shows how to mount the Admiral GP10 5030-400Kv Brushless Motor.
                          Last edited by SFC Rob; Jul 24, 2021, 01:52 PM. Reason: Found the answer.

Comment

Does anyone know if Nexa is going to start selling this plane again? The 1540 mm wingspan version? I really like the plan but need some spare parts and can't find them on Motion RC. Looks like Motion is just selling out of their stock and not restocking.
                            Thanks!

Gary

Comment

Working...
                            X