X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to secure a receiver?

Hi everyone! I'm new here and just getting back into the hobby. The other day I had a maiden flight of my FW-190 Dora with an Admiral gyro receiver. The take off was fine, I made two gentle turns and just when I was getting settled in flying straight and level on the downward leg, about fifty yards away from, the plane started acting irratically, as if the control surfaces were fluttering, and dove in to the ground. Customer support at Motion RC felt that my receiver came loose. Is this how a plane would respond if a gyro receiver came loose? What is the best way to secure a receiver so this doesn't happen again?

Thhanks in advance for any suggestions!!

A Gyro receiver will move the controls whenever it senses movement, so it absolutely has to be physically attached to the airplane. If it comes loose and is rattling around inside the plane your controls will go nuts.
    Most of us use double-sided foam tape (this comes with the receiver).
    Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

I actually prime the spot with glue and let it dry, if I'm attaching the double stick directly to the foam.

Sorry for your crash!

Comment

Originally posted by TomV View Post
        Is this how a plane would respond if a gyro receiver came loose? What is the best way to secure a receiver so this doesn't happen again?
        YES! Next time you have the RX loose, take it in your hand (when the plane is powered up) and move it even just slightly and see what it does to the control surfaces.
        3M or Gorilla double sided sticky foam tape - very strong. If it's mounted on foam, then a single later will do. If it's mounted on wood or plastic, use two or three layers of tape to provide a little vibration insulation.

Comment

And there are a lot of people that have had issue with the stabilized Admiral.

Comment

Also, if you was going full throttle when going straight, maybe your gains was set too high, and it started oscillating. But, yes, use double-side tape with foam tac around the edge of the receiver for added support.

Comment

Working...
            X