X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS P51 B Decals

Looking for TIPS on how to remove these decals to change the markings on the airplane. US to RAF. Everything I have tried so far seems to be pulling off more and more paint.
    Should I just treated like a Band-Aid . Pull it off and re-prime?

Yes, but smooth underneath with some lightweight spackle or "Bondo glaze creme" my new favorite. The bondo comes in a tube and is for fixing hairline cracks in auto body repairs. It sands super smooth. Just don't goop it on too much. I usually use an old credit card to put on a thin layer and sand. Only automotive primer in cans will stick to it. Once primed it looks great and can be painted with whatever you want. Warning. The spot you refinish will look better then the rest of the plane.
    Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_70718.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	308465
      Originally posted by Mark Franke View Post
      Looking for TIPS on how to remove these decals to change the markings on the airplane. US to RAF. Everything I have tried so far seems to be pulling off more and more paint.
      Should I just treated like a Band-Aid . Pull it off and re-prime?
      Yes, I agree with quitcherbitchen's advice. I have not found a satisfactory way to remove the decals without damaging the foam underneath to the point where it needs to be addressed. I've carefully pulled off the decals trying to not do more damage than necessary, and use a bondo or some other filler to make the foam smooth again. After sanding smooth, I also spray a primer in the area before repainting and then adding the new decals. It can definitely be done with satisfying results, if you do the work. I'll attach some pics of a plane I did recently, an FMS P-47D razorback that came in a Far East USAAF paint scheme that I changed to one from the 56th Fighter Group in England. Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0031.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.2 KB ID:	308456Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0032.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	308458Click image for larger version  Name:	_CAM0508adjsuted.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	308460Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0030.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.9 KB ID:	308462Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0031.jpg Views:	0 Size:	157.2 KB ID:	308463

Comment

Thanks so much.
        I used the ice technique on the FMS glider but there was no pain underneath just foam. I will let you know how it comes out

Comment

Thanks so much.
          I used the ice technique on the FMS glider but there was no pain underneath just foam. I will let you know how it comes out
          thanks. Good luck!! Which RAF squadron do you plan to replicate for you new paint scheme?

Comment

315 squadron Probably not with all those kill markings on it but same unit
            It just looks cool with a Malcolm Hood canopy in an RAF scheme

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1610.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	308640
              315 squadron Probably not with all those kill markings on it but same unit
              It just looks cool with a Malcolm Hood canopy in an RAF scheme
              Good choice. I put insignia on the Flightline Mk IX Spitfire to resemble the plane flown by Witold "Lanny" Lanowski of the 302 squadron. I know his son who lives in England and did it as a tribute to his father.

Comment

I bagged a NIB FMS P-51B at a swap meet last year- had to replace the DOA retracts.
                The decals were old and crispy and I didn't care for the olive drab paint so I repainted it and gave her a new name and nose art.
                The decals were tough to remove and they did pull up the old paint.
                Brushed on Testors Chrome Silver paint and had Home Depot match the blue nose and spinner to paint the tips of the wings and tail surfaces.

Attached Files

Comment

Nice! Is this based off of a true historical scheme?

I'm not the scale police. The nose art reminds me of Wyoming and I've seen a few military planes with some kind of Wyoming designation and am just curious if it's that or the fact that you're about to ride a wild Mustang. It looks great!

Comment

Thanks San!
                    It's not historical, just something I came up with just to be original and have a unique model.
                    I did get the clip art off the web to make the decal out of vinyl decal material.
                    And the name- I thought "Crazy Horse" would be a good fit for a wild Mustang!

Comment

That is great! I like the livery!

On a side note, I saw on youtube a little while back someone flying an rc plane that looks similar to your avatar picture. Have you seen videos or are aware of cartoon scale rc planes? I'll have to look on my laptop later and post the link. I get so engrossed in true scale planes or optimally engineered planes. To see a cartoon scale plane fly made me want one.

Comment

Oh nevermind. I must be an idiot. I just did a search on youtube and many pages popped up. Of course. It's already a cult craze.

Comment

Haha those are great!
                          My avatar is of the P-51 Reno Air Racer Voodoo that Steve Hinton flew to world record speed of 531.64mph in 2017 for piston engined prop driven aircraft.
                          In the white paint, I think the aircraft is incredible looking.
                          It made such an impression on me I converted a Phoenix Strega into this scheme and really souped it up in hopes of setting a speed mark for 1/6 to 1/7 scale P-51's.
                          It took me four months to complete the project.

Here's the inspiration for the project.

Listen to that prop at the 5:50 mark!

I have yet to fly mine but I will soon.
                          I'll post some pics of her if you'd like?

Comment

Yes, let's see it!

Comment

Here she is, I'll post some pics of the build and what's under the hood when I get a bit more time.

Attached Files

Comment

Ok, sure it's not a highly detailed scale warbird but it is very cool. I have always liked the race planes. Very nice!

Comment

Hinton Mustang looks amazing

Comment

Working...
                                  X