X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flightline B24 - lets drop some ordinance

Alpha how about another ALPHA MAKES session and lets knock out a BombBay Cassette

combination of panel and clam shell doors for a faux articulated garage door setup.

One servo to open/close doors, and one servo (or eflite bomb release) to activate the bomb drop

For this attempt Ive continued to evolve the cassette. Goal at the moment is to try be ready to drop ordinance during the US July 4th Holiday.

Here is a diary of my adventure so far. Concept to Fabrication. As with any project, design change is a given. To many good ideas from others I finds myself locating.

Concept stage using some foam board since my CAD skills are no where to be had
    Attached Files

Comment

Sometimes you have to just slice into a project to get the innovation side of the brain to fire off. Plus having James share a few photos on the Friday Broadcast puts some pressure to actually follow thru
      Attached Files

Comment

We can build it back......its just foam
        Attached Files

Comment

Adding some color
          Attached Files

Comment

Now to work out the clamshell doors and bombs release. i plan to add a few magnets so i can attach some door extensions (to give the look of door rolled up the side when static display). But I think the structural integrity is there, and she could fly as is.

I think Ill laminate the door skin to the Aft Bay to give appearance of both bays. But only have 1 active compartment. But we shall she if I can stand it only using a forward ordinance bay.
            Attached Files

Comment

Added some panel lines and paint on the aft bay doors
              Attached Files

Comment

Finished up the Bomb Bay mechanism and successful bench test for the drop. Using a micro servo, light weight hair bands, and 6 NERF Screamer darts. They fit perfect in the bay.
                Attached Files

Comment

July 4th weekend could not have been a better time to maiden the B-24 and flight test the Bomb Bay. The aircraft flew wonderfully and the bomb drops went off without a glitch. Have a dozen flights and every drop has been successful.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Bomb release at the 1:47 mark

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Doomstown 2015-10-02 001  Gif.gif
Views:	218
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	317939Click image for larger version

Name:	Hakaze side.JPG
Views:	205
Size:	132.2 KB
ID:	317940Click image for larger version

Name:	reichstag gif.gif
Views:	207
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	317941 You need some targets. Way more fun. Just a few examples.
                      Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

Working...
                        X