X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paul. K View Post
    Hi Xviper, and yes i did what you suggested and the Liberator fired up!, so it was a faulty Rx, Thank you very much for your valued advice.
    It always feels good when we discover what's wrong.

PS. If you have any of the older AR8000s laying around, many of those were suspect, even when new. I've had 6 of them and 5 were faulty. The 6th one worked for a few years then one day, something strange happened. The throttle stopped working. Upon testing, only the throttle channel didn't work. The other 7 channels were apparently fine. Receivers are another of the hobby universe's mysteries.

Comment

I had just the opposite happen recently with a Futaba RX. During the pre-flight check, only the throttle worked. I noticed the green RX bind light was not on. So, I did a re-bind. All started working again...and has been working since that time. Somehow, the RX/TX handshake was corrupted when I plugged in the RX battery.

-GG

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post

It always feels good when we discover what's wrong.

PS. If you have any of the older AR8000s laying around, many of those were suspect, even when new. I've had 6 of them and 5 were faulty. The 6th one worked for a few years then one day, something strange happened. The throttle stopped working. Upon testing, only the throttle channel didn't work. The other 7 channels were apparently fine. Receivers are another of the hobby universe's mysteries.
        Yes, reliability can be an issue with Rc equipment but should not be the case as the equipment is far from cheap, some members in my local flying club have had issues with new Spektrum equipment. I have got two old AR8000s and they have been ok (touch wood). What i find annoying is that there is no back up support for older DX equipment, they don't tell you that when your spending your hard earnt $'s.

Comment

Yes, reliability can be an issue with Rc equipment but should not be the case as the equipment is far from cheap, some members in my local flying club have had issues with new Spektrum equipment. I have got two old AR8000s and they have been ok (touch wood). What i find annoying is that there is no back up support for older DX equipment, they don't tell you that when your spending your hard earnt $'s.
          I think if you have got equipment built on TUE,WED,THURS your ok but if built on Monday or Friday then could be a problem :)

Comment

I think if you have got equipment built on TUE,WED,THURS your ok but if built on Monday or Friday then could be a problem :)
            It is a lottery and we are the losers. I switched over to Spektrum stuff many years ago and was previously using Futaba Rc gear because Spektrum gear was cheaper, i'm seriously thinking about going back to Futaba.

Comment

It is a lottery and we are the losers. I switched over to Spektrum stuff many years ago and was previously using Futaba Rc gear because Spektrum gear was cheaper, i'm seriously thinking about going back to Futaba.
              I've had many a good and expensive models destroyed by unreliable Rc equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post
                I had just the opposite happen recently with a Futaba RX. During the pre-flight check, only the throttle worked. I noticed the green RX bind light was not on. So, I did a re-bind. All started working again...and has been working since that time. Somehow, the RX/TX handshake was corrupted when I plugged in the RX battery.

-GG
                I began RC with Futaba. It was OK for me but I never got the hang of it. Switched to Spektrum when I got more serious and have never really hated it. Sure, there are the occasional WTF moments, but isn't that the case with any brand of anything?

Comment

Originally posted by GliderGuy View Post

-GG
                  Yes i've had issues with both Futaba and Spektrum equipment being unreliable and resulted in the destruction of many a good model. I was using Futaba stuff for 15 years then changed to Spektrum over the last 10 years. It's about time they got there act together and made reliable equipment.

Comment

Yes i've had issues with both Futaba and Spektrum equipment being unreliable and resulted in the destruction of many a good model. I was using Futaba stuff for 15 years then changed to Spektrum over the last 10 years. It's about time they got there act together and made reliable equipment.
                    Much of the manufacturing is done in China so basically cheap and nasty!.

Comment

I've never lost a model due to failure of Spektrum or Futaba stuff, and I've been flying for decades. Right now I have some 30 models with Spektrum receivers in them.

I've lost models due to servo failure (Freewing), ESC failure (Castle, Detrum, Predator x 2) and pilot error.

Comment

Based on 50 years in the hobby, I'd estimate that about 75% of crashes blamed on radio failure are in fact pilot error. It's a variant of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Comment

Originally posted by kallend View Post
                          Based on 50 years in the hobby, I'd estimate that about 75% of crashes blamed on radio failure are in fact pilot error. It's a variant of the Dunning-Kruger effect.
                          Completely agree! But ONLY 75%? An RC pilot's greatest deficiency is the inability to admit wrong doing. It's almost human nature that the older we get, the less we can be fault.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                            Completely agree! But ONLY 75%? An RC pilot's greatest deficiency is the inability to admit wrong doing. It's almost human nature that the older we get, the less we can be fault.
                            WELL! The older I get the more reliable my equipment seems to become, and the less reliable my eyesight. I've pretty much given up on "low visibility grey" jets, and prefer the Tiger Meet schemes because I can actually see them in the air. My last total loss (2 years ago) was an all grey Eurofighter that I lost on base to final turn due to mistaking which way it was banked.

Comment

WELL! The older I get the more reliable my equipment seems to become, and the less reliable my eyesight. I've pretty much given up on "low visibility grey" jets, and prefer the Tiger Meet schemes because I can actually see them in the air. My last total loss (2 years ago) was an all grey Eurofighter that I lost on base to final turn due to mistaking which way it was banked.
                              Hi Kallend, surely some thing can be done to improve your eyesight?. Yes i agree all to easy to blame equipment when it's actually pilot error, i have seen many examples of it. My last very expensive crash involved my 1/4 scale Spitfire while doing a low pass down the runway, i was approx 10 feet above the ground at full chat then suddenly max down elevator with no input from me, i was devastated, model was a total write off!. A nearby guy using on arc welder was the culprit apparently after much investigation this was the out come. Arc welders really mess up your signal between TX and Rx.

Comment

I've never lost a model due to failure of Spektrum or Futaba stuff, and I've been flying for decades. Right now I have some 30 models with Spektrum receivers in them.

I've lost models due to servo failure (Freewing), ESC failure (Castle, Detrum, Predator x 2) and pilot error.
                                You are very lucky not to have experienced faulty rc equipment.

Comment

You are very lucky not to have experienced faulty rc equipment.
                                  I never buy from ebay or Ali, since so much stuff on there is a knock-off. All my purchases are from the official US distributors where I can be sure of getting a genuine item. Costs a few $$ more but the radios have been very reliable.

Comment

Paul, now that you have the "faulty" receiver out of the plane can you make a new model in your transmitter and bind/ test it on the bench? It may not really be bad, could have been a loose connection or something that when you swapped receivers you corrected.

Comment

Working...
                                    X