Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any time! Let us know what you think of her in the air. How's the weather holding up in England? I'm here in Wyoming and believe it or not, its down right Spring like here. The days are so short though that I have about an hour after work to be able to fly. Going to get smart and load everything into the truck and head straight to the field if the weather continues.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• The weather is pretty poor over here at the moment, may get to fly off the beach this weekend if the wind stays down.

Comment

• That's a very moody photo, I love the clouds! It feels very appropriate for the aircraft. Thanks for posting, Simonslim.
        Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Thanks Alpha, mobile phone shot believe it or not.

Comment

• Great shot!!
            Another beautiful day, if I wasn't so tired from sitting up til 11 last night watching the election, I'd have gone flying, but I was up at 5 for work, so, I don't trust the old reflexes.
            Team Gross!

Comment

• Maidened the Spitfire today, couple of clicks of down elevator and right aileron and she was flying lovely. Plenty of power and control authority, very predictable and easy to control. My only concern was with orientation so I'm going to add invasion stripes to the wings. Big thumbs up.

Comment

• Good report, simonslim! Stripes on the underside should easily help with orientation. "Invasion stripes" on many participating aircraft were largely painted over within weeks of D-day, at least the upper surfaces that is. One thing to remember about these stripes is that they were hand painted, often without masks, instead delineated by a loose chalk line. So don't be too hard on yourself if everything isn't perfectly straight.

Comment

• That is a great pic, I love dirty-ing planes up after getting them finished.

Comment

• There are so many variations. As a scale modeler, it's funny how imperfect these lines often were in real life, yet how precise modelers attempt to paint their smaller depictions. The canvas and wooden decoy plane picture is my favorite.

Comment

• Sorry but I'd have to have tinted windows on that Typhoon if I was flying it, the German pilots would just laugh.

Comment

• I've flown planes that looked like that decoy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha.MotionRC View Post
                          Good report, simonslim! Stripes on the underside should easily help with orientation. "Invasion stripes" on many participating aircraft were largely painted over within weeks of D-day, at least the upper surfaces that is. One thing to remember about these stripes is that they were hand painted, often without masks, instead delineated by a loose chalk line. So don't be too hard on yourself if everything isn't perfectly straight.
                          Good point Alpha, the were functional not decorative.
                          I've always thought there was a great untold story behind the painting of all those planes in such a short time. I believe in less than 24 hours as they didn't want to give it away to the Nazis. I also remember somewhere that it wasn't paint in the sense that we know it, but like a water and lime mix, I'm thinking, for the whit I mean. An interesting story there.
                          If you check out the DC3's (ok, C 47's... force of habit!!) they used in Band Of Brothers, you can see that they did it authentically with a quick slap of paint and that the lines aren't straight

Grossman56
                          Team Gross!

Comment

• You're right, they used water based paints for the stripes. They weren't intended to be even close to permanent. We're talking of course in the specific context of D-Day "invasion stripes". There were other stripes used at other occasions with other intentions.

Comment

• Hey, what a great document to have Alpha, there was a name for that particular type of paint, I'm trying to remember what it was. Can you imagine the drain on the supply in England!!

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• Decal Placement Location........
                                Pilots, need a little assistance here. I bought the decal sheets but can not find in the manual(from MRC product descript page d/l) where they get located nor was there any location sheet included with the decals. I bought these to help eliminate the rather barren look that I presently have with my Phoenix Models Spitfire. How did you guys install your decals onto your FL Spitty???
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Mine came with a sheet showing the decal location. I'll take a picture of it when I get home tonight.

Comment

• All the PNP aircraft boxes include the decal location sheet in the box. But the spare decal sheet only includes the decals. Thanks in advance for posting a picture of your location sheet, dkalwishky. I see about getting an electronic scan for the website for future benefit.

Comment

• Bronco jockey, that sheet is double sided. Which livery did you want?

Comment

• Originally posted by Westsider View Post
                                        Bronco jockey, that sheet is double sided. Which livery did you want?
                                        I like the Johnnie Johnson (JE-J)

EDIT 5 min later.......Just see that I got a PM from ya with the Pierre, can ya do the JJ ??
                                        Warbird Charlie
                                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Never mind, I see the JJ is there too.
                                          Many Thanx Westy
                                          Warbird Charlie

Comment

Working...
                                          X