First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, I'm an old guy too!!
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Hi guys. I'm new to this thread but have completed the 4 cell skyraider prop/motor mod. Flew the jug tonight and had motor skip and stutter as i accelerated for take off. When I applied throttle slowly, it acceleratrd ok and i got airborne. flew about three minutes with two pulse 3000 miliamp 35c 4cells in parallell and landed. batteries were down to 26% and motor and esc very hot. Esc is a gecko 85 amp. Any comments on why the motor problem and the heat?

Comment

• Originally posted by n22597 View Post
        Hi guys. I'm new to this thread but have completed the 4 cell skyraider prop/motor mod. Flew the jug tonight and had motor skip and stutter as i accelerated for take off. When I applied throttle slowly, it acceleratrd ok and i got airborne. flew about three minutes with two pulse 3000 miliamp 35c 4cells in parallell and landed. batteries were down to 26% and motor and esc very hot. Esc is a gecko 85 amp. Any comments on why the motor problem and the heat?
        Hello n22597 and welcome to the Squawk.
        There have been various adaptations of the Raider prop and 4S power mod. What motor are you using?
        Warbird Charlie
        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thanks for response Warbird Charlie. Using FMS4258 550KV

Comment

• Originally posted by n22597 View Post
            Thanks for response Warbird Charlie. Using FMS4258 550KV
            That's the one :Cool:that I used and published the original Razor mod about it better than a year and half ago.
            I used the Gecko 85A ESC also and had skipping issues until after I flashed the firmware update and changed the startup profile in the ESC using the ZTW LCD ESC Programming Card.
            I would love to give you the exact properties to program but no longer have the plane (one of the fire loss birds:() to hook the programmer up to it and get the read outs.
            It's not the motor.;)
            LUV'd the way that Razor flew swinging that big 16 inch:)
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thank you so much Warbird Charlie! I will order the card and hopefully I can make the programming changes. Do you think this accounts for the heat as well?

s

Comment

• I didn't have heat issues with mine.
                What is your reference to a heat issue? Can you not touch it?
                Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Warbird Charlie: The ESC and motor were very hot to the touch. Two Pulse 3000MAH, 35C batteries in parallell, A 3 minute flight resulted in a drain to 26-28% on the batteries. Batteries are relatively new. I thought the drain was excessive for the short flight duration, but the heat concerns me more in that there seems to be sufficient cooling through the fuselage and all connections were solid.. As you can probably tell, I'm a real neophyte when it comes to electronics, knowing where to plug what pretty much exhausts my expertise. What did you mean by "Flashed the Firmware"? Thanks again for all your help on this, I'm just an old dog trying to learn new tricks

Comment

• Flashing firmware is the process of changing the specific software that provides the low-level control for a device's specific hardware.
                    If you struggle with the basics of electrical stuff then this may be way beyond you but I'll provide a link to the Gecko firmware update regardless.
                    https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...s#post30402578.
                    A simple matter of improper timing by the ESC can roast both it and/or the motor.
                    A different ESC "could" be an easier alternative fix also in your case.
                    Long distant internet troubleshooting is so problematic;) Good luck
                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Warbird Charlie. I think you are right. I'll try a different ESC before I delve into the complicated and mysterious world of programming. Thanks again for your help. Keep you posted on my progress

Comment

• Warbird Charlie: went ahead and got the ztw programming card and successfully updated firmware on the esc. Can you give me any hint as to which timing setting you might have used? Michael at Motion RC dosn't have any experience with gecko escs but suggests a lower timing setting. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance for your help

Comment

• Warbird Charlie: My new ztw programming card shows the Gecko ESC in the P47 timing set at auto and direction set at reverse, although the motor ran in the proper direction. Don't know if this gives any clues for the fix to the problem

Comment

• As indicated in post #485 "I would love to give you the exact properties to program but no longer have the plane (one of the fire loss birds:() to hook the programmer up to it and get the read outs".
                            Don't have a clue as to what timing I might have used since it was done over a year ago and my chemo-brain is lucky if I can remember what was for breakfast LOL
                            Try the auto timing setting under the new firmware and then fiddle with manual settings if needed.
                            I would set the direction as normal(forward) and reverse 2 leads on the motor to the ESC.
                            Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Warbird Charlie: Thanks for quick response. I get the memory thing. At my advanced age finding a tool that I just put down takes forever. I will switch the wires to the ESC and set the diection to forward. I will leave the timing setting at Auto. If necessary, I'll reset the timing by starting low and moving higher till I get past the problem. Sorry about your fire losses and thanks again for your help.

Comment

• Warbird Charlie: Looks like problem may be solved but with a twist. Updated firmware reset timing to automatic and still had prop stutter on static run up. Checked skyraider prop and found that the inset in the prop hub meant to engage the nut like protrusion on the prop adaptor had worn so that prop could freewheel on the shaft. Replaced prop and did static run up without incident. I had used some shrink tubing on the adaptor for a tighter fit but it was mostly worn off. Is this unique to my set up or have you heard it before? Hope to get a flight in this weekend if hurricane Florence will stay away.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	161009 Kind of realized that I have never posted any pics on HS (usually post on RCG). Here's my recent repaint and detailing of my Razorback. Flew her again twice this morning. I have to admit that I'm intrigued with the idea of going to a larger prop as others have done. I think it would make an already impressive model that much more. This was my first attempt at a total repaint using latex house paint. I do my own graphics files, and Callie prints them out for me.

Comment

• I really like those markings, MrSmoothie! Every part of the model is finished well, from the overall surfaces to the pilot, markings, and ordnance. I love how the stock FMS P-47 flies, but given all that you've already done to it, you might as well mod it for the larger prop, also.
                                    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• I still love mine even though I only flew it once this season. I have still have a hell of a time getting it to come down so floaty.
                                      AMA 1102566

Comment

• My apologies if this question has been answered previously in the thread, but for those that have both the 1500mm P-47 and the 1400mm P-40B, if you had to choose one, which would it be? And why? I have flown the P-40B and it is a sweet plane, but if the P-47 is better then I will go with that one. I have batteries for both from other planes.

Comment

• Whos with the p47, Have any of you added LED lights? If so show did you go about doing it/running the wires?
                                          Planes
                                          -E-Flite: 1.2m P-47, Maule, Turbo Timber, 1.5m AT-6, 1.2m T-28, Dallas Doll, Viper, F-15, F-16, Wildcat, Carbon Cub -UMX: Mig-15, Pitts, Timber
                                          -FMS: Bae Hawk Motion: 1.6m Corsair, 850mm Mustang, 1.6m Spitfire Freewing: 1.7m A-10, F-22,

Comment

Working...
                                          X