Views:	553
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	298201Click image for larger version

Name:	BCFF6FBB-0E6A-408E-B047-46F585FA8075.jpeg
Views:	534
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	298200
    Originally posted by davegee View Post

Can you post a couple of photos of your painted pilot. I'm thinking it's a close call between this one and the Warbird pilots in 1/8 scale. I'd like something better than the pathetic kit supplied pilot.
    I had to cut the left arm and reposition it to make it fit in the cockpit.

Tolga
    Instagram: @_t01ga_
    YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• [QUOTE=davegee;n298197]

Can you post a couple of photos of your painted pilot. I'm thinking it's a close call between this one and the Warbird pilots in 1/8 scale. I'd like something better than the pathetic kit supplied pilot.[/QUOTE

Sorry I meant right arm at the elbow not left. Also I had to remove the right instrument panel, cut some instruments and reorganise so the pilot could slide in easily. To make the legs fit I cut an opening at the base is the cockpit as well. I think full pilot looks better than a bust.
      Tolga

Comment

• Thanks, T01ga. He looks pretty good painted up like that. On another subject, I'm thinking of donating one of my repainted airplanes to a little WWII museum in the UK. Your Geo shows you are in the UK. If that is so, do you have any recommendations for sending from the USA to England for a reasonable price? I would be putting the plane in the original packaging that I get from Horizon Hobby, which of course comes from China. Appreciate any tips for sending a package like an rc airplane to the UK, if you have any.

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
          Thanks, T01ga. He looks pretty good painted up like that. On another subject, I'm thinking of donating one of my repainted airplanes to a little WWII museum in the UK. Your Geo shows you are in the UK. If that is so, do you have any recommendations for sending from the USA to England for a reasonable price? I would be putting the plane in the original packaging that I get from Horizon Hobby, which of course comes from China. Appreciate any tips for sending a package like an rc airplane to the UK, if you have any.
          Hi,
          An item such as that will be subjected to Import Duty and Value Added Tax when it arrives to UK. Also there some exceptions which covers your situation. You need state in your custom declaration that it is a donation to a museum and as such it need to be marked up as “gift”. I will also include any correspondence regarding the donation.
          I hope this helps.
          Tolga
          Tolga

Comment

• Here is my solution for a 1500 mm plane pilot. 6 inch star wars black series figures. I only had to trim some plastic clothing off; the figures didnt have to be cut bc this model has footwells. There are actually lots of different choices in not just star wars, but any figure. This is my dynam bf110,. Since Rey is such a good pilot, shes in front. And since Kylo Ren like killing, he's manning the rear mg151. The original pilots looked like aryan oompah loomahs, so they got the axe.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by t01ga View Post

Hi,
              An item such as that will be subjected to Import Duty and Value Added Tax when it arrives to UK. Also there some exceptions which covers your situation. You need state in your custom declaration that it is a donation to a museum and as such it need to be marked up as “gift”. I will also include any correspondence regarding the donation.
              I hope this helps.
              Tolga
              Thanks, T01ga: The reason I was asking is because back in 2004, I brought a gas powered P-47D to fly in an airshow at Boxted Air Base, Essex. It was a real pain working with the customs people in the UK, even though I was just bringing it in for the airshow and then flying with it back to the USA. I wanted to avoid those kinds of expensive hassles this time, especially since I'm donating the model to the museum. Hopefully the museum can help me out along those lines.
              Appreciate your input.

Cheers
              davegee Click image for larger version

Name:	P-47 Hairless Joe on Runway 22 at Boxted.001adjusted.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	298445

Comment

Thanks, T01ga: The reason I was asking is because back in 2004, I brought a gas powered P-47D to fly in an airshow at Boxted Air Base, Essex. It was a real pain working with the customs people in the UK, even though I was just bringing it in for the airshow and then flying with it back to the USA. I wanted to avoid those kinds of expensive hassles this time, especially since I'm donating the model to the museum. Hopefully the museum can help me out along those lines.
                Appreciate your input.

Cheers

Name:	P-47 Hairless Joe on Runway 22 at Boxted.001adjusted.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	298445
                No problem. It is a beauty.
                Tolga

Comment

• Thanks, that was a really neat event back in 2004. This plane is a 1/6 scale Aerotech model of Col. David Schilling's Hairless Joe with the 56th FG in Boxted. This view is on some of the remaining runway (runway 22) where we flew it from, as well as several full size P-51s and other planes, too. The plane is now in a museum in Kalamazoo Michigan.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	09B9AFF8-59DD-42D0-A08B-DD3CE6D22CA0.jpeg
Views:	549
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	298522Click image for larger version

Name:	90FFC740-73A0-46B6-A0D6-0D9084828B28.jpeg
Views:	518
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	298523Click image for larger version

Name:	C4A230D6-9C21-4DC9-937D-6666F7B522A0.jpeg
Views:	529
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	298524
                    Originally posted by davegee View Post
                    Thanks, that was a really neat event back in 2004. This plane is a 1/6 scale Aerotech model of Col. David Schilling's Hairless Joe with the 56th FG in Boxted. This view is on some of the remaining runway (runway 22) where we flew it from, as well as several full size P-51s and other planes, too. The plane is now in a museum in Kalamazoo Michigan.
                    I am aware of Boxted Airfield as It is about 5-6 miles from where I live.
                    Below was posted sometime ago in a local Facebook community group you might find interesting.

“About 40 years ago, while walking out near Langham, not too far from Severalls lane on the edge of the old Boxted airfield, I found this WW2 ‘Dog Tag’.
                    Subsequent research on the internet, has thrown up a bit of information -
                    The ‘Dog Tag’ belonged to an American Pilot, 2nd Lieutenant Eugene Timony, 63rd Fighter Squadron, 56 Fighter group. US 8th Airforce.
                    Lt Timony flew a type P-47 Fighter aircraft, known as a ‘Thunderbolt’ - the aircraft was called “Moptop’s Pride’.”

Tolga

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	9CC14825-16AF-46EE-B562-1FCFE8641506.png
Views:	538
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	298526
                      Tolga

Comment

• Thanks for sharing that info T01ga. I have found little treasures while walking the fields of Halesworth, Boxted, Alconbury, and Polebrook. I remember once we got a guided tour from a gentleman who grew up near the Flixton airfield where my dad flew B-24s from in WWII, before being transferred to Alconbury for the rest of the war. Our guide drove us up to the hardstands where my dad would have parked his airplane. While standing there, a farmer was plowing and pulled up a rusty piece of metal. It was a bomb shackle to attach a bomb inside the B-24 for a mission. It had been buried there for probably around 50 years when we were there in the early '90s.

Comment

• davegee interesting stuff. Good luck with your shipping mate!
                          Tolga

Comment

davegee interesting stuff. Good luck with your shipping mate!
                            Thanks, T01ga! I have ordered a second E Flite P-51D that I'll paint up identically to the one that will go to the museum in England. That will be my new "go to" airplane I'll fly at my local field. I'll use that shipping box to pack the first airplane, and I think it should stand the trip to destination well, since it already came from China in the same box! Hopefully everything will work out as planned. Appreciate your helpful ideas on shipping. I'll have the museum guys help me from their end as far as marking it as a "gift" on the paperwork as you suggested.

Comment

• I recently picked up an FMS P-47 Razorback 1500 assembled but never flown. While testing the retracts the tail wheel fell off. I slipped it back on and noticed the the wire axle only protruded from the wheel hub by about 1/10". Too small for a wheel collar so I figured the wire axle broke. Checked Horizon website for parts and found the Rear Gear System FMMPT114 but photo shows the same short protrusion. What holds the tail wheel on? Blob of glue or solder at the tip of the wire axle? Any ideas for a fix?

Comment

• Originally posted by ICM View Post
                                I recently picked up an FMS P-47 Razorback 1500 assembled but never flown. While testing the retracts the tail wheel fell off. I slipped it back on and noticed the the wire axle only protruded from the wheel hub by about 1/10". Too small for a wheel collar so I figured the wire axle broke. Checked Horizon website for parts and found the Rear Gear System FMMPT114 but photo shows the same short protrusion. What holds the tail wheel on? Blob of glue or solder at the tip of the wire axle? Any ideas for a fix?
                                Hi ICM: I just looked at my P-47, and the tailwheel is held on by a tiny C-clip. Horizon should sell these in a kit of fasteners for this airplane, or perhaps you can find one in a hardware store where you live. I don't know the diameter of the axle, but it has a groove in near the end of it where the C-Clip attaches. I suppose you could also find something else like wrapping some steel wire in that groove and gluing it so the wheel can't slide off the axle. But the C Clip would be best, I think.

Also, you might consider redoing that awful design that has the tailwheel doors move via springs along with the tailwheel movement. There is a simple way of removing those springs and taking a different spring that is hooked onto the little hole flanges on the gear doors. This is similar to the way the F7F and other planes are designed that simply has the gear strut push on the springs to close the doors as they retract. It works great and is a simple fix. I can't for the life of me figure out why FMS came up with such an idiotic system for their airplane when a much simpler, better, and scale solution was available all the time. If you have any questions on any of this stuff, just PM me or respond to this post.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

davegee interesting stuff. Good luck with your shipping mate!
                                  Hi TO1ga: months ago, we discussed some questions I had for shipping a model to England, and avoiding some possible unnecessary fees that they might add onto the shipment as I experienced years earlier with a different model.

Not sure if you ever saw any of my posts on a different part of Hobby squawk,, but if not, I am pleased to tell you I followed your advice, listed it as a "gift" and sent it via FedEx to Bottisham England. It arrived there in just two days from Billings, Montana, which totally amazed me. And, because it was sent via FedEx, a known shipper versus my previous try where I shipped it in my name alone, it sailed through customs with no problems or extra charges at all. The model arrived safely and was immediately installed in a Quonset hut that is a part of their museum.

Thanks again!

Name:	IMG_2075adjusted.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	318444

Comment

Hi ICM: I just looked at my P-47, and the tailwheel is held on by a tiny C-clip. Horizon should sell these in a kit of fasteners for this airplane, or perhaps you can find one in a hardware store where you live. I don't know the diameter of the axle, but it has a groove in near the end of it where the C-Clip attaches. I suppose you could also find something else like wrapping some steel wire in that groove and gluing it so the wheel can't slide off the axle. But the C Clip would be best, I think.

Also, you might consider redoing that awful design that has the tailwheel doors move via springs along with the tailwheel movement. There is a simple way of removing those springs and taking a different spring that is hooked onto the little hole flanges on the gear doors. This is similar to the way the F7F and other planes are designed that simply has the gear strut push on the springs to close the doors as they retract. It works great and is a simple fix. I can't for the life of me figure out why FMS came up with such an idiotic system for their airplane when a much simpler, better, and scale solution was available all the time. If you have any questions on any of this stuff, just PM me or respond to this post.

Cheers

davegee
                                    Thanks for the suggestions. I decided to dremel both sides of the protruding wheel hubs (more on the longer one) to get enough exposed axle to fit a Dubro wheel collar. Seems to work well.

Comment

• Good. I think once, possibly a previous P-47 or some other taildragger, I had a similar dilemma and had to come up with something to keep the tailwheel in place. I found a small threaded cap that fit perfectly. I glued it on and it was never an issue again.

Good headwork
                                      coming up with a suitable solution for your tail wheel.

cheers

davegee

Comment

• Has anyone try 6s 6000mAh battery on this bird FMS 1500mm P-47. Wonder what is a typical performance flight time for 6s 5000, and 6000mAH..

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmorBolt View Post
                                          Has anyone try 6s 6000mAh battery on this bird FMS 1500mm P-47. Wonder what is a typical performance flight time for 6s 5000, and 6000mAH..
                                          I only fly on a 6S 5000 mAH battery, now using the Smart 5000 batteries exclusively. I typically get a good 5-6 minutes of flight time with an adequate reserve for the extra go around for landing for whatever reason. Of course, it all depends on how hard you push your battery and the type of flying you do. I do a lot of scale maneuvers that the real airplane would do, but don't have the throttle to the max all the time. I think you'll just have to experiment with the type of battery you are using and your style of flying. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                          X