Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks davegee for the battery answer.

I recently bought FMS P-47, and currently putting her together. I understand this model have been around since 2017, so I just wonder are there hints or recommendation that anyone have for suggestion for the P-47 before I maiden her.

Someone on Ytube was mentioning that this model had the wing connector problem and caused airelon lost/landing gear lost during flight, so he replaced and soldered them with Multiplex connector. Does anyone see this an issue or was it an isolate bad lemon model that he got. Any hints and suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArmorBolt View Post
      Thanks davegee for the battery answer.

I recently bought FMS P-47, and currently putting her together. I understand this model have been around since 2017, so I just wonder are there hints or recommendation that anyone have for suggestion for the P-47 before I maiden her.

Someone on Ytube was mentioning that this model had the wing connector problem and caused airelon lost/landing gear lost during flight, so he replaced and soldered them with Multiplex connector. Does anyone see this an issue or was it an isolate bad lemon model that he got. Any hints and suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks.
      Hi Armor Bolt: I have had two of these FMS P-47s. The first one went in years ago, I think it was more due to a bad servo on he aileron that I had replaced and lost control of it, but we'll never know for sure.

Having said that, my second airplane is doing great. I am ever mindful of the comments by others regarding possible problems with the wing connectors, but I haven't found that to be the case for me. I don't take the wings off in between flights as I have enough room in the bed of my truck to take it out to the field and back. Perhaps that is helpful regarding my not having problems yet with the wing connections, I don't know.

I really like that FMS has fully retractable gear and gear doors. The only one I have modified is the ridiculous connecting of the tailwheel doors with springs so that the gear doors move when the tail wheel is moved while taxiing. There is an easy fix for that, if you want to make it look more accurate. Remove those springs attaching the tailwheel doors and the tail gear and replace it with just one spring that goes crosswise with the tail gear and attach each end of the spring to the little brackets on the inside of the tailwheel doors. This way, the tail gear doors stay splayed out like the real plane when the gear is down, and when the gear is retracted, the gear will catch the spring going crosswise across the wheelwell and will pull the doors closed behind it as it retracts into the fuselage. Works very well, if you want the scale look of the real bird, for the cost of a cheap spring at the hardware store or one from you click pen.

The prop is way too short, some guys have added a longer more scale propeller, but I haven't done that yet. It performs well with the stock prop and I sorta let that go for now, although it annoys me a bit.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post

Hi TO1ga: months ago, we discussed some questions I had for shipping a model to England, and avoiding some possible unnecessary fees that they might add onto the shipment as I experienced years earlier with a different model.

Not sure if you ever saw any of my posts on a different part of Hobby squawk,, but if not, I am pleased to tell you I followed your advice, listed it as a "gift" and sent it via FedEx to Bottisham England. It arrived there in just two days from Billings, Montana, which totally amazed me. And, because it was sent via FedEx, a known shipper versus my previous try where I shipped it in my name alone, it sailed through customs with no problems or extra charges at all. The model arrived safely and was immediately installed in a Quonset hut that is a part of their museum.

Thanks again!

davegee Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2075adjusted.jpg
Views:	690
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	318444
        That is fantastic news and it looks awesome. I am glad to be of any help.
        Tolga
        Instagram: @_t01ga_
        YouTube: t01ga

Comment

• Originally posted by t01ga View Post
          That is fantastic news and it looks awesome. I am glad to be of any help.
          The little museum in Bottisham is pretty cool, lots of heart amongst the volunteers to restore what they can, and tell the story of what went on there during the WWII years. I hope I might be able to visit it someday if I get back to England on holiday. Really appreciated your advice, and it really helped out!

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• Redo on FMS 1500mm P-47D project:

I have been trying for about a year now to obtain a new FMS P-47D razorback model. Even got ripped off trying to buy a NIB one by scammers a few weeks ago. After about a year of fruitless search worldwide, I finally came across a model company or distributor in Austria. It wasn't cheap, especially shipping, but it arrived at my house yesterday.

I have another one I redid shown in this thread, actually two of them because one crashed, but I wanted to try a different paint scheme and some extra details on one before I close this chapter on P-47 foamie redos.

I started with customizing the exhaust stacks near the cowl, cutting them down some and adding a scale wastegate for realism. This morning, I gently pulled all the decal stickers off, and will start working on priming and eventually painting the plane. Hope to have it done in a few months. I'll attach a drawing how it will look when done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	348980

Comment

• davegee That will be awesome Dave! I recently purchased the Eflite version NIB from someone and immediately wanted the 1.5 FMS version, since Flightline doesn't make one. I'm wondering if we'll see the FMS birds restocked in the US anytime soon.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                davegee That will be awesome Dave! I recently purchased the Eflite version NIB from someone and immediately wanted the 1.5 FMS version, since Flightline doesn't make one. I'm wondering if we'll see the FMS birds restocked in the US anytime soon.
                Hi SanExup: The preferred transaction to be sure would be buying from Horizon, Tower, or other hobby stores in the USA. Covid and then shipping issues afterwards conspired to basically halt FMS kits, or at least some of them to the USA. Right now, there is a shipping restriction out of China with kits like these to 2.2 Kg, total. I even asked if we could split the shipment into two boxes to keep under the limit. They were going to run it by the FMS factory, but I didn't hear back on that score. Then I found the Austria store that had one left. I took it, as I didn't know when things will open up again. Hopefully it will be soon, but I didn't want to wait any longer.

I highly recommend this 1.5M P-47 kit. I can keep it together in the bed of my truck to/from the airfield. I like that even the tailwheel retracts, as well as their gear doors operate. There is a ridiculous tailwheel door set up where the doors hang straight down instead of being splayed out properly, and they sway back and forth with tailwheel movement. It is an easy fix by putting a small spring crosswise in the gear well opening, and the gear pulls on the spring when the gear is retracted very realistically to close the doors. When you put the gear down, as the tailwheel comes down, the spring connecting the doors forces them to snap open smartly.

I hope you do get the FMS plane someday. It is worth it, in my opinion. Let me know if you get one.

Cheers

Davegee

Comment

• davegee I've read what you and others have said about it. It's number one on my list for the next bigger warbird. I had searched for one but gave up.
                  I admit I didn't know much about the P47 but recently dove into it's development and deployment, it's role and capabilities. Now I'm obsessed and really want one. The 1.5, it looks fast and has some great features as you mention. I'll keep waiting!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                    davegee I've read what you and others have said about it. It's number one on my list for the next bigger warbird. I had searched for one but gave up.
                    I admit I didn't know much about the P47 but recently dove into it's development and deployment, it's role and capabilities. Now I'm obsessed and really want one. The 1.5, it looks fast and has some great features as you mention. I'll keep waiting!
                    Hopefully, they'll be making their way to the USA soon. I think you'll like flying it when you eventually get one. As like its full sized counterpart, its wide stance for the main gear makes it track well for ground ops (using a good amount of right rudder on takeoffs, per warbird taildragger aircraft!) and it looks and performs scale maneuvers that you would expect out of this warbird.

davegee

Comment

• Just started working on some details for the cockpit. Pulled it all apart and am redoing it, starting with a more scale interior coloring, dull dark green. I'll keep that goofy looking pilot, but repositioned the hands a bit, and he is now in primer coat for sizing. Made a scale looking oxygen tube and connector per the real airplane. Gunsight is a combination 3D print/scratchbuilt of an earlier type used in this airplane at the time. Even added a little crosshairs gunsight that was used if the main gun sight was unusable.

I'll try to finish the cockpit in the next few days, and then will start working on the rest of the airplane. Since the canopy will be closed, I won't worry about all the details I could put in there, been there, done that with large gasser models that I competed with around the country years ago.

Davegee

Name:	IMG-1155.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	349274Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1156.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	349275Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1157.jpg
Views:	286
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	349276Click image for larger version

Name:	rexize - Copy.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	349277

Comment

• did some additional detailing on the R2800 "fake" engine molded in the cowl over the weekend. Nothing spectacular, just to add some extra scale look to the plane when it gets done. My wife is going to paint up the pilot today, and then I'll start moving onto the main body of the aircraft for redo and eventually repainting.

Hope everyone had a great Independence Day weekend.

davegee

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	349638

Comment

• My wife graciously finished painting the pilot for me, and I installed him in place and hooked up his oxygen hose that I had made from scratch. I also made a rear view mirror on top of the canopy in a style used on this plane that I am portraying as well as a scale armored glass plate put in front of the pilot on the razorback P-47s. The cockpit is more or less complete, and I am proceeding to the next part of the airplane to be reworked, the tail gear door retraction modification from the stock version, and on to many other embellishments for this plane. I hope to have it ready for a maiden later this summer.

davegee

Name:	IMG-1182.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	349825Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1183.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	349826

Comment

• Looks great Dave, I guess I just missed you at the field this morning.
                            Keep up the good work, I guess I'll be able to see the completed airplane at the field before the snow?

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                              Looks great Dave, I guess I just missed you at the field this morning.
                              Keep up the good work, I guess I'll be able to see the completed airplane at the field before the snow?

Grossman56
                              Thanks, Dan. I asked Ron if he thought you'd be showing up, he didn't know. I find the best time to fly is early morning, not TOO early to where the sun is an issue, but I get a few flights in and then head for the gym during the week.

Hope to see you at the field soon. I am planning to have the airplane ready to fly by mid-August, if all goes well. I have my decals from Callie, so I'm all set on that score. This is an earlier Jug (P-47D-1RE) which did have a centerline drop tank, but no other ordnance on the wings; strictly bomber support at that stage of the war.

Cheers

dave

Comment

• Just finished the redo on the FMS tailwheel gear doors. I hated the way that they designed these in the first place, hanging down almost vertically, and then when the tailwheel moved, because the retraction springs were attached to the gear strut, when the plane turned on the ground, the tailwheel doors sashayed to and fro, too. As we used to say in the aviation biz, "the designers used poor headwork." Keeping them as is was a bridge too far, for this old scale geek!

A very simple fix that I found was to remove those little springs on the tailwheel doors, throw them away or keep them for future projects. What I did was take a simple compression or extension spring, both work, and run it crosswise above the gear wheel well opening, and attach each end to one of the little holes provided on each gear door. This does a couple of things: 1) it forces the gear doors to be splayed out in a more realistic manner to the real airplane, and 2) when the gear is retracted, the tailwheel strut catches the spring as it comes into the well, and pulls the doors shut. When the gear is extended, the strut's movement releases the spring and in turn the spring forces the tailwheel doors back open again.

I first used this on my first P-47 airplane in 2016. It later crashed, but that system worked perfectly. Sorta like the Tigercat, and a couple other warbirds that I cannot recall right now.

For this FMS plane, though, I recommend it. I am attaching three pics. The old one shows the plane in 2016 with a compression spring strung across the gear bay. You can see an "A" marking on the fuselage and it is already painted. The other two were taken tonight after I set up the extension spring across the gear bay.

How long a spring, you may ask? In either case of using springs, I found using one about 2 1/4" long, and less than 1/4" diameter worked well. What is important is that the spring has plenty of flexibility so that it won't fight the gear strut to close the doors properly. You may have to fiddle with the springs, possibly cutting them down a bit, but that's part of modeling.

Click image for larger version  Name:	unnamed (1).jpg2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.0 KB ID:	349842Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1185.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.4 KB ID:	349843Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-1184.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.9 KB ID:	349844

Comment

• My silver P40 has the same problem. I think, because of those springs, the retract doesn't fully function. Something that I have to get on and convert. The Flying Tiger P40 already has the conversion and it works great.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                                    My silver P40 has the same problem. I think, because of those springs, the retract doesn't fully function. Something that I have to get on and convert. The Flying Tiger P40 already has the conversion and it works great.

Grossman56
                                    I'm pretty confident in this system, as I have used it on two airplanes now, and this is the third. Plus, it also pulls the tailwheel doors to a more scale position when the gear is down.

Dave

Comment

• Doing some work on detailing the centerline drop tank of the type was used on this airplane early in the war in Europe. This includes scratchbuilt sway braces on the fuselage to keep the tank from movement while attached to the airplane.

My plane will reflect how they were configured early in the war in Europe. They didn't have any wing stores yet (drop tanks, rockets, bombs, etc.,) so they flew various missions with code names like: Rodeo, Circus, Rhubarb, and Ramrod. They all had special meanings. For instance, a Rodeo was a fighter sweep, without bombers, and they would search out and destroy enemy aircraft and/or ground targets. Conversely, a Ramrod was heavy bomber support to destroy a target on the ground.

Davegee

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0007.jpg Views:	0 Size:	182.0 KB ID:	350017Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0004.jpg Views:	0 Size:	196.9 KB ID:	350018Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-0005.jpg Views:	0 Size:	151.4 KB ID:	350019

Comment

• Originally posted by davegee View Post
                                        Doing some work on detailing the centerline drop tank...
                                        DG, Lookin' good, Sir. Nice details. Best, LB
                                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

DG, Lookin' good, Sir. Nice details. Best, LB
                                          Thanks, LB. Adding some details to make it a better looking, more accurate flyer for my field. Still fun tinkering with how to do these embellishments mostly with stuff around the house. I'll probably use the 3M foam masking that we have been discussing for the fairly simple paint scheme of OD/Neutral gray on this one.

Cheers

davegee

Comment

• Elbee
                                            Elbee commented
                                            Editing a comment
                                            My order w/A_zon should be here by Sun/Mon. Looking fwd to trying the soft-edge look. Best, LB
                                        Working...
                                        X