Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I will weigh it this evening and report back

Comment

• Motion's specifications state: 1550 grams as "Flying Weight".... My Bearcat weighs 1940 grams, without battery... So 54oz vs 68oz. However, it flies just fine and is very tame... I do use full throws, but expo on all surfaces... ;) Hope this info is useful!! Good night all! :Sleeping:

Comment

• I added 170 grams to the inside of the cowl on the firewall, around the dummy radial. It is out of sight and painted black for good measure. That is 6 ounces, but doesn't account for the other differences in weight...:Thinking::Confused:
        It balances just 1 to 2 degrees nose down....

Comment

• Thanks for the details! I find it all very interesting.

My AUW before battery is 1550 grams. 4s 6kmah batt is 554 grams. Flight ready AUW is 2104 grams. Close enough for my considerations.
          There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Very successful maiden flights for both Bearcats today! Both flew with Admiral 6/7 channel Rec/Gyro and HRB 4s 6000mah batts.Managed throttle control approaches 15 minute flight times. (yes, fifteen) Heavy? Nope. Quite agile and a delight to fly. If anything I would have assumed the added weight would stress the gear upon landing. Our landings were on a GeoTek surface. One landing with flaps and one landing without, all good. I did require some down elevator mix with flaps to counteract some ballooning.

The other pilot, Chris, found his experience thoroughly as enjoyable as mine.

Two important considerations for me regarding this model have been the unestablished rudder issue and the information regarding balancing the model and realistic battery choices. Updating the manual/specs/marketing with more reliable and finite information on those two items would ensure an increasing popularity and even higher rate of success with this model.I would have to guess that crashes or bad experiences have been a result of being mistakenly tail heavy. Some at the field mentioned they were detered at the thought of 6 or 7 oz of added weight to operate with the recommended battery.

Having flown multiple flights with identical weight/setup, two pilots and two of the same models, the evidence suggests the larger battery weight is not a problem in the short term for a smooth runway surface. The gear seem solid after the first day on both aircraft. I can't make any speculation about operating from grass. For my application I have confidence in them.

I'll get some video eventually, but weather is not on my side this week.

The main points:

Is the rudder okay? not enough info

Does it fly okay heavier? Yes, absolutely.

Is the gear suitably strong? Yes, absolutely. (untested on grass)

I would recommend this model for anyone wanting a war bird in this scale/size. I like it so much I'm considering a second Bearcat to fly as a 60's reno racer.

-Den

Comment

• :Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool::Cool: It is a keeper! Congrats!

Comment

• I've had an aileron come loose during a preflight, so I keep an eye on all control surfaces on mine. A line of Foam-Tack secures any control surface, but so much easier to catch it before it falls off or comes off mid flight.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• I took advantage of a break in the weather to fly the Bearcat today. It was so dark the video quality is poor and mostly shadow. I am really enjoying this model even though I secretly wish it was the same scale as the Flightline Corsair every time I fly it.;)

Comment

• Originally posted by WrightBrosRC View Post
                    I took advantage of a break in the weather to fly the Bearcat today. It was so dark the video quality is poor and mostly shadow. I am really enjoying this model even though I secretly wish it was the same scale as the Flightline Corsair every time I fly it.;)
                    Nice Video but I love your runway!!!! Where are you on this flight! Hillsboro, OR?

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post

Nice Video but I love your runway!!!! Where are you on this flight! Hillsboro, OR?
                      Yes sir, When are you gonna grab Todd and come down here for a day of flying with us? :Thinking:

Comment

Yes sir, When are you gonna grab Todd and come down here for a day of flying with us? :Thinking:
                        I'm in.....especially when the weather improves. I'm guessing the field is the one in Beaverton? http://www.flyaways.org/

Do you have a guest membership fee for a weekend? It would be awesome to see several Corsairs flying at once! :):Cool:

Comment

• Originally posted by Grover54 View Post

I'm in.....especially when the weather improves. I'm guessing the field is the one in Beaverton? http://www.flyaways.org/

Do you have a guest membership fee for a weekend? It would be awesome to see several Corsairs flying at once! :):Cool:
                          Yes, that's the field. No charge for invited guests flying with a club member. I'm mostly a jet guy in the foam aircraft hangar. I have a few foam prop planes but no Corsair. (we have some radial gasser Corsairs and Bearcats though!)

Comment

Yes, that's the field. No charge for invited guests flying with a club member. I'm mostly a jet guy in the foam aircraft hangar. I have a few foam prop planes but no Corsair. (we have some radial gasser Corsairs and Bearcats though!)
                            Nice Field. I have a 84" Carbon Z but all my other birds are large scale Warbirds (Electric) but I want to move into jets as my skill sets improve. Here is my hangar. I have a couple more warbirds on the agenda (P-38 and Tigercat) but my budget needs a breather right now. :P:Cool:

1. 78" P-6E Hawk
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Miss Jennika Madien 1a.jpg Views:	5 Size:	310.6 KB ID:	190573

2. 84" Carbon Z
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Carbon Z 1.JPG Views:	4 Size:	58.5 KB ID:	190574

3. H9 P51d 20cc 69.5" (Ready for Maiden)
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Complete 4.JPG Views:	4 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	190575

4. FlightLine F4U 1600mm 63" Corsair
                            Click image for larger version  Name:	Corsair Maiden MMRC 3.2.19.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	263.4 KB ID:	190576
                            Last edited by Grover54; Apr 17, 2019, 06:30 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

I took advantage of a break in the weather to fly the Bearcat today. It was so dark the video quality is poor and mostly shadow. I am really enjoying this model even though I secretly wish it was the same scale as the Flightline Corsair every time I fly it.;)
                              WBRC how were you able to pan the in flight camera around? Super cool video!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mad Baron View Post

WBRC how were you able to pan the in flight camera around? Super cool video!!
                                Its a 360 degree camera.Thx!

Comment

• I've gotten a few more flights on my Bearcat. Really enjoying it. Today we added another member to the Blue Angels Bearcat squadron. I hope to have some flight vid shortly.

Comment

• Yesterday's adventure! The first time with three of them, maiden for one of them. Waiting on "Butch" to join ranks so we can start on some kind of routine maybe. Still have some detailng to do to complete the look, but they are looking pretty good already.

Comment

• A couple weeks ago now I was flying this bird. Doing nice and greasy touch and goes on a smooth runway. Then, as I am rolling out and starting to lift off the runway, the starboard gear folds under and the prop strikes the runway. The plane was wrecked as a result.

That was disappointing enough and then this happened...

I sent an email to James at Motion with all of the pics and info thinking I might receive some assistance in resolving the problem. No response of any kind. (He recommended after a previous incident that I contact him directly about stuff like this.)

That's been disappointing but I saw a scratch and dent for sale by Motion with only the left wing missing so I ordered it. Turns out not just the wing is missing. Everything that is normally attached to the wing is missing also, the gear, servos, linkages, etc.

The end result is that I have $600+ worth of non flying Bearcat aircraft and custom graphics and no response from Motion.

Let me be clear about this... there is glue obviously on the gear components, however, it was only adhered to the gear side. The foam wing is pristine where it was intended to adhere as if the glue was mostly dry before assembly or similar. The foam surface is still smooth and pristine. You can see from the pic there is no foam stuck to the glue on the gear assembly.

I'm not impressed with the glue problem or the lack of reply from James, or lack of any reply for that matter.

-Den

Comment

• Hi Den, I'll get ahold of the owners and direct them to you.

Grossman56
                                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Hi Den,

James is away at a show and he does not work in our support department. While I'm not doubting James told you to contact him, I'm a little surprised he said this given his schedule. I apologize that he said this to you. We have an entire support department dedicated to helping customers. Please go to this page and start a ticket or give us a call:

Comment

Working...
                                          X