Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any chance someone can show me the stock motor mount screw. I’m piecing mine back together and can’t remember what the motor mount screws looked like. Thanks

Comment

• It's in the manual.

Comment

• Comment

• I wrote what I said so he would learn to find info himself...

Interesting that links picture is wrong though. They show a sheet metal type screw with a flush mount which is wrong for both mounting the X mount to the motor (machine flat head) or to the firewall (sheet metal type pan head).

Pg8 of the manual.

Comment

• Oh well, I tried. I just happened to have motions page open this morning. I assumed the photo was the correct one under spare parts.

Comment

• yeah you’d think they’d have a good picture!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                I wrote what I said so he would learn to find info himself...

Interesting that links picture is wrong though. They show a sheet metal type screw with a flush mount which is wrong for both mounting the X mount to the motor (machine flat head) or to the firewall (sheet metal type pan head).

Pg8 of the manual.
                Funny how we use forums to try to help people. It’s ok, I found it on the motor replacement for the spare parts page on motionrc. Thanks for the help though.

Comment

• The manual is always a good starting place.

Yeah, not talking about you perhaps but some just don't care to learn and want others to do the work for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big12fan View Post

Funny how we use forums to try to help people. It’s ok, I found it on the motor replacement for the spare parts page on motionrc. Thanks for the help though.
                    The forums are full of opinion, attitude & mind reading while being short on understanding. I'm sorry your inquiry was met with assumption.
                    There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• No assumption involved in my answer to him... :)

Comment

• The Bearcat once again graces my fleet. Sold off some planes that weren't being flown and and invested in my favorite airplane. The price has definitely gone up, from $199 originally to $279, and I'm not going to get into the politics behind that, suffice it to say that it a bigger percentage of my income than it used to be.
                        On the plus side though, the quality of the kit remains outstanding so the molds are holding their own! I changed out the motor and ESC to a kv 650 and a Mantis 85A spinning a 1400mm FMS Corsair prop, which has proven to be the ultimate combination for 4 cell performance. I also swapped out the tires for Dave Browns, I just love those tires!
                        The one thing I found was that the battery strap was way too short to hold an Admiral 3600 4s pack in place. Don't know what happened there but I had a spare FMS strap that did the job. With the stock strap, I could get maybe 1/4" of velcro to grab but it was so little it would just let go. I even took the decking out to see if the strap was hung up on something, but no, its just a 1/2" too short. Alpha may want to look into that as there would be nothing more frustrating than to build the plane and then try to mount the battery, but you can't!!
                        If you're wondering what it looks like with that big prop, here's some pics from the first time I installed it.
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9493.JPG
Views:	540
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	315790
                        And here's the ground clearance...

Name:	IMG_9494.JPG
Views:	492
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	315791
                        I've never had a problem touching the prop both landing and taking off and the slow flight characteristics remain the same as with the stock system.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• What a beauty!

Comment

• I decided to go with a lighter blue this time, which looks great so far. One issue I've found is that the decals don't stick worth a dang and they were bubbling off the backing board. Personally, I think they have a life expectancy. Hopefully they'll work, but if not I guess Callie is my only option. We'll see.
                            I was gong for a blue similar to this...

Name:	150339.jpg
Views:	494
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	315950
                            She's a little darker but picture some where in between. First coat of Spar Urethane on her now. It's been hitting 100 degrees out here in Cody, so the drying time is great!

Grossman56
                            Team Gross!

Comment

• That look super sharp Grossman. Great job
                              Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Work on the new 'Cat continues, just got another coat of Spar Urethane on her and the first pictures of the work so far..

Name:	IMG_5301.JPG
Views:	470
Size:	145.4 KB
ID:	316348Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5302.JPG
Views:	455
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	316349Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5303.JPG
Views:	439
Size:	130.7 KB
ID:	316350
                                Still working on the motor, shaving it down to fit over the 650, then some detailing on that. Right now I can get her to CG up on the stock points and she's a pretty forgiving bird. I used a 4000 4s battery sitting back to line up with the back of the floorboard. Worse comes to worse I can use a 3600 instead, but I always used a 4000 in the past, the only difference being that I had a 1/4 oz of weight where the tail hook would extend. Still some detailing to do but so far so good!

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• Well, enough detailing, lets see how the sucker flies!
                                  I cut a hole in the back end where the arrester hook would be and added 1/4 oz of weight there.

Name:	IMG_5311.JPG
Views:	496
Size:	195.4 KB
ID:	316845
                                  I'll cover it over at some point, but with the 650 kv and Corsair prop, she needs a bit of ballast in her butt!
                                  4000's sit just forward (1/4") of the aft edge of the battery hatch deck.
                                  Maidens are always nail biters, but I really did my homework on this one. She blasted into the sky and went straight up, too much up elevator, to heck with the landing gear, get that nose trimmed out!! Gear up, turn on the gyro, and everything is good there a couple of passes and everything else is right on Flaps come down and gear extends, lands like a lady!
                                  So, I mark the position of the elevator on the fuse (note the black mark on the fuse lining up with the elevator and the bottom of the lowest indentation on the rudder) Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5312.JPG
Views:	435
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	316846 and reset all the trims (check the sub trim) and adjust the clevis to get as close to the same position as it was. Back up in the air and there she is, the Ol' Bearcat that I love. The Dave Browns are a tight fit width wise on the axle so I Foam-Tac'd the locks on, have to see if there are narrower DB's when I replace them. But they are the way to go, they literally suck onto the runway, awesome!!
                                  So, another maiden in the books
                                  Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Posted in the wrong thread but I took my Bearcat out for a flight and getting ready for the warbird races coming up in our club. Click image for larger version

Name:	Smirnoff Bearcat.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	323891

Comment

• That looks good, Randy.

Comment

• Thx I am going to race in the bronze class and I have the stronger motor and a two bladed prop. It is actually competitive in the bronze class. I got the decals from Callie graphics and this is the plane that won the the national air races in 1964.

Comment

• Looks great Randy, did you do the stock upgrade from MRC?
                                          I'd be interested to see how my Bearcat with a 650kv and a FMS 1400 mm corsair prop compares. The airplane is incredibly fast, there is a big difference between 3/4 and full throttle and its not hard on flight time, lands like a stock bird as well. It's a bit of drilling to mate the motor mount to the firewall and a fair amount of trimming to get the faux radial to fit over it. I use an 85A Mantis ESC as well. Also, one pad of stick on weight in the tail.

Name:	IMG_5390 (2).JPG
Views:	404
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	323932Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5312.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	200.3 KB
ID:	323933
                                          Note, I did a repaint using Testors Royal Blue, looks good and then of course Spar Urethane for that waxy shine!

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X