Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Welcome to Hobby Squawk!

Did you peel off the clear covering over the decals?
    No, did not know that you needed to do that.

Comment

• Welcome to the Squawk Oldschoolflyer !
      Peel the back of the decal, the clear side off first, then line up the decal, then rub the upper surface, the paper material to stick the decal on, then carefully remove the upper/paper surface.
      To ensure that mine are going to stay on the bird, I coat my planes with water based Varathane. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6863.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	79255
      I should start charging the company for all the times I've posted this pic.
      Yes, water based Minwax will give you the same results, just try to find a product that will give you some UV protectant. Remember to keep any dark colored plane out of the sun when not in the air .

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post
        Has anyone else destroyed a beautiful F-7 yet, or am I the first one???:Silly:
        Not the planes fault, all mine...Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!!!
        First flight on plane, and first flight of the season...
        I was the only one at the field, beautiful day, and got in a hurry...
        The grass was a little tall and I was worried about the F-7 not handling the grass. I started taxing the plane wanting to see how it would do thinking I would not be able to take off, ( without double checking the flight controls ) and it was taking the grass great, no problem...
        So I pulled back on the stick and it rotated beautifully, went to turn crosswind to the left and plane rolled right, I give it more left now plane is inverted... Thinking I surly don't have my ailerons reversed and went to the right this time and plane snapped and was not high enough to recover, and unfortunately this was the result...:Crying:
        Never ever get in a hurry, especially on a new plane!!! It usually ends in an expensive mistake...
        When I was setting up the radio, I had the plane upside down on the stand, and is probably why I had them reversed, thinking right was left, and left was right...Wrong...
        Anyway, a preflight check of the controls would have prevented this. Also, had someone else been at the field that day, the mishap would also have been prevented as we normally double check each others plane on a maiden flight...
        Lesson learned...
        F-7 #2 is ready for maiden, and now I have spare parts. Amazingly, all of the landing gear survived, not even bent...
        Now if it would only quit raining...
        So sorry for you,terrible loss looks like you put some clear on it too.I put clear on mine too.

Comment

• I did spray a coat of gloss on the ship but had no problem applying the stock decals.

Comment

• I never use there decals , they start coming off after they been on a week, I just throw them in the trash and get the better ones from Callie

Comment

• I used the Minwax Pro Series Spar Urethane with good results. This was semi gloss with sunlight protectant.
              Before and after pictures...

Comment

• I've been keeping an eye out for the Minwax Spar Urethane at the local haunts, but nothing yet, I plan on trying it.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                  Welcome to the Squawk Oldschoolflyer !
                  Peel the back of the decal, the clear side off first, then line up the decal, then rub the upper surface, the paper material to stick the decal on, then carefully remove the upper/paper surface.
                  To ensure that mine are going to stay on the bird, I coat my planes with water based Varathane. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6863.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	79255
                  I should start charging the company for all the times I've posted this pic.
                  Yes, water based Minwax will give you the same results, just try to find a product that will give you some UV protectant. Remember to keep any dark colored plane out of the sun when not in the air .

Grossman56
                  Thanks for the information about the decals, it worked great, I will also look into the Minwax.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldschoolflyer View Post

Thanks for the information about the decals, it worked great, I will also look into the Minwax.
                    Also, did you have to add weight to the tail to get the CG correct?

Comment

Also, did you have to add weight to the tail to get the CG correct?
                      There is plenty of room to move the lipos around to meet the CG. No tail weight required
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I didn't have to, the bottom battery sits all the way forward and the top lines up with the front edge of the hatch.

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                          I didn't have to, the bottom battery sits all the way forward and the top lines up with the front edge of the hatch.

Grossman56
                          That's exactly like I have mine.
                          TiredIron Aviation
                          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Thanks for the response. I am using 4S 3000 mAh batteries and I had to use 42G of weight on the tail to get the CG correct.

Comment

Thanks for the response. I am using 4S 3000 mAh batteries and I had to use 42G of weight on the tail to get the CG correct.
                              :Scared: I would seriously question your CG methodology
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Thanks for the response. I am using 4S 3000 mAh batteries and I had to use 42G of weight on the tail to get the CG correct.
                                If you're using 3000s you should put them all the way forward in both trays and you may still be a little tail heavy, there's no way you need tail weight.
                                TiredIron Aviation
                                Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• I just got my Tigercat and the motor wires in the wings, by the gear are XT60's but the Admiral 4000 4S they sent me are Deans (T)'s. Anyone else seeing this?

Comment

• Hi Rekit , for the mentioned DC current, ampere and existing resistance, I use the XT90... it proved to be safer and "cooler".

Comment

I do not own that particular model. The only war bird I added any tail weight on was the 1400mm FMS Zero and it was only 1/2 ounce . To make sure I am understanding you, or to put it in perspective, you added approximately 6 of the 1/4 ounce sticky weights or there equivalent on the tail of that plane? The Tiger does have a long nose compared to many war birds, but that just seems like a hell of a lot of tail weight. Maybe, you should recheck it?

Comment

• Originally posted by rekit500 View Post
                                        I just got my Tigercat and the motor wires in the wings, by the gear are XT60's but the Admiral 4000 4S they sent me are Deans (T)'s. Anyone else seeing this?
                                        That is what happened to me also.

Comment

• Thanks to all for there responses and support. I used the following for balancing the CG for my F7F Tigercat: An EZ lite balancer by Don's, the recommended CG measurement of 73mm (2-7/8") from the leading edge as indicated in the assembly manual. Both of my Admiral 4s 3000 batteries are touching the forward portion of the battery bay. Not sure what I missed , but I am going to recheck all of my measurements again. I will post my findings, Any and all input is welcome.

Comment

Working...
                                          X