Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FlightLine RC 1600mm F7F-3 Tigercat Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
    That's the difference Gman..........they are talking about the black case 40C 3600's;)
    Those 40C's are short portly buggars. They would be better off running the new 40C 4000........mine fit perfect and 9 min times:Cool:
    That's it...
    What OV10 said...
    Different batteries, those are the ones MRC was gonna trade for if I sent mine back...
    The new 3600's are square and are to high to fit properly...
    Man I'm glad we got that figured out, I was ready to quit drinking tequila...:Silly::Drinks::wacky

Comment

• Use these lipos and you dont have to cut anything. After each flight there barely warm. You get 2 of them http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-HRB-4S-...53.m2749.l2649

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post
        That's the difference Gman..........they are talking about the black case 40C 3600's;)
        Those 40C's are short portly buggars. They would be better off running the new 40C 4000........mine fit perfect and 9 min times:Cool:
        Of course, does anyone still use those??LOL
        Seriously, all my 3600's new or old are PRO batteries, my 4000's of necessity, are black case. There had to be a simple explanation, real easy, either go 4000's or PRO 3600s !!
        Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

• I use the 3600 50C in one Cat and they fit well and the CG is right on using my Xicoy CG balancer. For the other one, I use the Graphane 3700, 70-140C. They all fit well.

Comment

• I had another great flying session yesterday, with the Tigercat and also the A10. I keep these planes under my canopy, out of the sun, and I am disappointed to report that the finish on the Tigercat wing is starting to "gator" in spite of these efforts. This is just from being out in the sun while I am flying (its hard to protect it in the air, LOL). It hasn't been out long - just 5 minutes per flight.

I'm disappointed because I love the way this plane looks and apparently there's not much we can do to stop this from happening. Any of you have any ideas? Should I refinish it and then fiberglass it or something? Or perhaps the Minwax treatment? Will the Minwax treatment stop this?
            Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• themudduck
              themudduck

Did you cover your Cat with anything like Minwax or similar products? This should really help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pheonix View Post
                themudduck
                themudduck

Did you cover your Cat with anything like Minwax or similar products? This should really help.
                No I haven't used the Polyurethane treatment yet, I wanted to try the plane out and kept it out of the sun thinking I should be OK.

I can go ahead and do that now, it will make the whole plane glossy. I am wondering if that will help or will it still get hot out in the sun?

(By the way I'm not out in the desert, its NE Ohio so the intensity of the sun isn't particularly bad.)
                Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post

No I haven't used the Polyurethane treatment yet, I wanted to try the plane out and kept it out of the sun thinking I should be OK.

I can go ahead and do that now, it will make the whole plane glossy. I am wondering if that will help or will it still get hot out in the sun?

(By the way I'm not out in the desert, its NE Ohio so the intensity of the sun isn't particularly bad.)
                  NW Ohio.... This is what I used, has UV protectant in it. It has been in the sun quite a bit and very minimal effects.....
                  Purchased at Lowe's...

Comment

• Originally posted by TomPatton View Post

NW Ohio.... This is what I used, has UV protectant in it. It has been in the sun quite a bit and very minimal effects.....
                    Purchased at Lowe's...
                    Thanks Tom, looks great. I've seen this mentioned much earlier in the thread, I was just resisting because I liked the way the plane looked.
                    But shiny is good too. And shiny without gatoring is much better,

hmm... I wonder if this treatment would work inside the cockpit on these models.

Comment

• You could always put on a coat or two of poly, then go over it with something like Testors Dullcote if you still want a flat finish.
                      Pat

Comment

• You can get Minwax in a satin finish as well as Varathane. With the satin, you can then coat over it with acrylics which are dull by nature.
                        My P-40 is just nasty! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6891.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	89287Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1134.JPG
Views:	314
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	89288
                        I just used a mix of flat black and nutmeg using the craft paints from Wally World and Ace Hardware and a lot of water, even knocks the shine off the plastic spinner

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• They probably make that in a flat or satin finish, I don't know. That was all Lowes had at the time I was there and have not shopped around. A quick google search would probably answer this. It only came in quart size so I got plenty for awhile.
                          Here are some pictures of my first F-7 that I busted up. It was left out in full sun for a day and a half and this is the results. Very slight effect, so if when out at the field if it is kept out of the sun when not flying it should hold up really well.
                          The picture of the whole plane was the first time it had been outside, and only a few minutes before picture taken to give you an idea what it looked like before sunbathing for a day and a half. If you zoom in you can see the foam texture on the horizontal before it even saw the sun.
                          Also, I applied 3 coats with a 1 1/2" inch foam brush.

Comment

• Originally posted by themudduck View Post
                            I had another great flying session yesterday, with the Tigercat and also the A10. I keep these planes under my canopy, out of the sun, and I am disappointed to report that the finish on the Tigercat wing is starting to "gator" in spite of these efforts. This is just from being out in the sun while I am flying (its hard to protect it in the air, LOL). It hasn't been out long - just 5 minutes per flight.

I'm disappointed because I love the way this plane looks and apparently there's not much we can do to stop this from happening. Any of you have any ideas? Should I refinish it and then fiberglass it or something? Or perhaps the Minwax treatment? Will the Minwax treatment stop this?
                            I had the same thing happen kept plane under a canopy and still gatored I did have it coated with minwax poly and still gatored sucks but i guess not much a guy can do besides fly the H out of it

Comment

• Well, as I've said elsewhere, get Minwax or Varathane with a UV protectant in it, it will help a bit, but the sun will get it one way or another. Dark colors are just that way. My F7F is, to describe it fairly accurately, grey, (see the icon) but the anti glare shield is black and guess where the gatoring is showing up?? There and in the cockpit area. It has been recommended to drill a small hole to allow the heat to escape from the cockpit. Use the shade if you have any, the side of your vehicle or anything and cover the planes. The wife had a great idea and said '"how about using a baby crib mattress cover, it has elastic just like the 'official' plane cover" Which I thought was a great idea.

Grossman56
                              Team Gross!

Comment

• Hallo,i have a question.is it possiple to fly the Tigercat with 2x 5 lipos with the original motors or need i the tuning Motors. Thank you for answer.regards. Regards kh

Comment

• Great photo with Mr. Mueller.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tomcat1950 View Post
                                    Hallo,i have a question.is it possiple to fly the Tigercat with 2x 5 lipos with the original motors or need i the tuning Motors. Thank you for answer.regards. Regards kh
                                    If, by "tuning" motors, you mean the "upgrade" motors, those aren't designed to fly on 5s either. Anytime you fly with more cells than is recommended, you are on your own - no guarantees, no warranties, no assurances.
                                    So, is it possible? Well, yes ..................... until something burns up. How long that may be is anyone's guess - maybe 1/2 flight, maybe several flights, maybe many, many flights.

Comment

• Hey Guy's I just ordered the T cat with the recommended admiral 3,000 mah batteries from Motion RC, I see you folks talking about 3600-4000 mah, Have I screwed up???

Comment

• Originally posted by Budcop View Post
                                        Hey Guy's I just ordered the T cat with the recommended admiral 3,000 mah batteries from Motion RC, I see you folks talking about 3600-4000 mah, Have I screwed up???
                                        The recommended is what you ordered. Those guys who are using bigger batteries are doing so by their own choice, likely to try and get a little more flight time.

Comment

• Originally when the F-7 came out the recommended battery was the Admiral 3600mah batteries. Then the battery manufacturer changed the 3600 battery dimensions to a square pack and not rectangular and would not quite fit the top tray under the canopy without modifying the canopy slightly. Then Motion started recommending the 3000 packs...

Comment

Working...
                                          X