Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dave Lyle BLVD here we go! OOps, I guess it's on Cherry rd... What's the one on Lyle?

Comment

• Northern Tool behind the Honda dealership. 😁

Comment

• Heard from all sides that the Flightline Tigercat flies pretty well, no gyro needed.
        As we have in our region constantly wind gusts 20+ mph, I favor a good stabilizer.
        As previously mentioned, the Admiral stabilizer has some issues. I favor the Eagletree Guardian with a 100% reliability and it’s overwhelming 3D mode. But you need this stabilizer plus a separate receiver. The ultimate question is , where to put this stuff. Eagletree Guardian needs to be installed horizontally.
        If anyone has done it (maybe with HobbyEagle A3) please show with pictures.

I heard also some issues with wing connectors. I would need to dismount the wings on transport.

Comment

• I've been using Admiral receivers for the past few years as well as other members in my club. Have never had an issue once with them, where others have with different brands. Just a few days ago guy lost his beautiful P-51 with a Spektrum receiver. Lost all control for no apparent reason. Not the first time with Spektrum receivers. As for me, I totally trust the Admiral's
          I'm with you though... I don't have a single airplane that "needs" stabilization, but the wind does gust and gets choppy with all the trees around the field, so it's nice to turn on or off with the flick of a switch.

Comment

• Hi Dennis

Comment

• Hi Denniswpb,

sorry my previous text got lost.
              Thanks for your reply. Do you use Admiral Stabilizer plus ?
              I am looking for a gyro with reliable 3D mode.

Could you tell me (or show pictures) where you place the receiver, since the Flightline Tigercat is very narrow and there’s not much space left.

Second question was still with the wing connectors. Are they reliable when you reinstall the wings each time after transport ?

Comment

• I have a A3 in mine and it's behind the wing under the turtle deck. That's also where I have my receiver and a servo expander to get more travel on my FPV pan servo. There is a ton of extra room in this plane. The whole belly area under the wing is a great place for things.

The wing interconnections are not an issue but check them now and then to make sure they are seated.

Comment

• Thanks Evan D,

the Flightline Tigercat is definitely for me a “must have” in 2021.
                  Just a question left on lipos.
                  I have 2x 3000 mAh and 2x 2650 mAh from my Turbo Timber.
                  I start from grass.
                  Which lipos would you recommend? Is 2x 4000 mAh not too heavy for grass take off ?!
                  Sorry about all these questions !?!
                  Basically the Flightline Tigercat is in the price range of Eflite’s Turbo Timber.

Comment

• It depends on which 2650, 3000 or 4000 as different packs weigh different. I am using those linked below and they fit side by side in the lower battery tray. If you have lighter ones then you may need one on the upper and one on the lower. There is lots of room and multiple places, the plane is very flexible.

Don't worry at all about grass take offs. Big wheels and it has a very light wing loading.

Amazon.com: Socokin 4S 14.8V Lipo Battery 60C 3700mAh with EC5 Connector for RC Airplane RC Helicopter RC Car RC Truck RC Boat UAV Drone FPV(2 Pack): Home Audio & Theater

Comment

• I usually run mine with 2 x 3600's but have ran her with 2 x 4000's occasionally. I've even run her with a 4000 inboard/low position and a 3600 in the outboard/front position. Since the inboard battery is so close to the CG, it doesn't seem to hurt. Also, I run my batteries in parallel so each battery powers both motors and I have a 'fuel tank' of 7200 with 2x 3600s. Learned this from OV10 as he made a good point about the ugliness of having a battery die on you and suddenly having only one motor. I've taxied mine with one motor and it ain't pleasant so you can imagine the Hell it would put you through in the air.

Grossman56
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4036.JPG
Views:	704
Size:	192.3 KB
ID:	305118
                      Team Gross!

Comment

• I spent yesterday checkIng my tigercat out. It was like seeing an old friend again. Love that plane. Got to the field and nose retract wouldn't operate. Sigh.

Nod I have the problem of figuring out how to spend $75 more to save $5 shipping.

This is one plane that if I ever lose it will be immediately replaced. Beautiful flying twin.

Comment

• If it won't extend it's usually because the pin between the strut and mechanism is bent. You can straighten it or remove the strut and steering arm and maybe turn the pin 180 and reassemble. If it's not retracting that's usually dirt or water in the retract unit.

Comment

• Originally posted by slumi View Post
                            Hi Denniswpb,

sorry my previous text got lost.
                            Thanks for your reply. Do you use Admiral Stabilizer plus ?
                            I am looking for a gyro with reliable 3D mode.

Could you tell me (or show pictures) where you place the receiver, since the Flightline Tigercat is very narrow and there’s not much space left.

Second question was still with the wing connectors. Are they reliable when you reinstall the wings each time after transport ?
                            I'm sorry for the late response... I just saw your question. Here is a picture of where I have my Admiral 6ch receiver with stabilization positioned. I have the stabilization set to on/off with a switch on my transmitter. I'm able to put the Tigercat in the back of my truck bed without removing the wings, but it's reliable to remove and reattach the wings. One thing I did was connect the batteries in parallel by making a parallel harness . Now both batteries are connected together and is like having one big "fuel tank" that is feeding both motors at the same time. It's a good protection in case one battery depletes faster than the other. Now it's just like one big battery.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks Denniswpb,

looking at the photo, there seems to be a lot of space.

Comment

• I did the same with mine as stated before, I've taxied with one motor and that was bad enough, now the 'one big fuel tank' is the way I went.
                                Each to their own as far a gyros go. I have several airplanes with A3L's, the Spitfire has an A3 and the RV-8 has an Aura 8, but the Tigercat has no gyro as I really didn't feel she needed it, she's so stable. My standing joke is "look at that Gyro work" and the guys at the club ask, "do you have a gyro in that plane?" to which I answer "no, but she sure acts like she does" as you can see her doing her own corrections. Extremely stable, which was a pleasant surprise when I first flew her, what 4 years ago?? Wow time flies.

Name:	IMG_9771 (2).JPG
Views:	623
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	307685

Grossman56
                                Team Gross!

Comment

• I'm thinking I need to replace my dear old Tigercat.

I took her out and on the ground she purrs like a kitten, but up in the air she sounds like an out of tune chain saw. Gear up or down, it doesn't make a difference.

The props are balanced and the spinners spin true. There are no control surfaces with excessive play. I can't figure it out

It only happens in flight. Severe buzzing and vibration. On the ground in wheels or in a cradle, she sounds normal.

In flight, the plane behaves as superbly as it always has. Any ideas?

So until I figure it out, my dear old friend is grounded.

Comment

• Hello Gilatrout
                                    I had an occasion on the FMS 1400 P-40B where the motor mount screws to the X mount came loose and caused the similar issue whereas the metal motor back against the metal X mount caused the buzzing.
                                    One of the screws had actually vibrated all the way out and got captured to the outside case of the motor by the internal case magnets.
                                    The buzzing became more loud as the screws worked their way out to the point that the motor could then be wiggled and give away it's telltale problem.
                                    Warbird Charlie
                                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• I had one nacelle to motor mount plastic piece (firewall) work its way lose from the foam in the nacelle. You could lift the motor up and down even though the motor mount was screwed securely to the firewall. I tried to glue it back on to the foam, but no permanent success so I ordered an new nacelle. Danged if the new one didn't do the same thing. I ended up cutting off the plastic ring at the front of the nacelle, foam and all, using a saw, which gave me full access to the slot which the firewall is mounted. This time I used epoxy to secure it in, then glued the ring back on. That was a couple of years ago and its being good since then. It only happened on the one side, the other has been fine even through the motor changes, go figure. One of these days I'll have to do the same with the spare nacelle but so far there's been no need to.

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• I would check the spinners to make sure they are not cracked. I had a similar problem with my Tcat and it turned out that the spinner had a hairline crack in it caused the buzzing at a higher throttle. Here are the pics of my spinner that I had the hairline crack.

Name:	cracked.jpeg
Views:	615
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	308161Click image for larger version

Name:	cracked1.jpeg
Views:	609
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	308162

Comment

• I pulled the trigger and ordered another Tigercat before the price increase. I'll put this one in storage until the one I have wears out.

Comment

Working...
                                          X