Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Spittie Owners, Santa surprised me, as I am certain I was not all that good last year, with a print of Spitfire Mk9 "MHM 434" signed by the likes of Johnny Johnson, Douglas Bader, Brian Kingcome and 6 other WWII RAF Spitfire Aces. It is just amazing. I believe I will need to build another Spit, in this livery. Hope y'all had a great Christmas Day and that your family will now excuse you to get some building done. Best, LB

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG
Views:	1146
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	224807
    I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
    ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just super cool!!!

Comment

• That is AWESOME!

Thank you for sharing.... what a piece of history in your hands. congratulations on a super nice Christmas present.
        Rich

Comment

• Thanks Jerry & Rich, "She whose authority exceeds my rank" must of told Santa I am a Spitfire Guy and he did the rest. Trust your Christmas's were "Merry and Bright" as well. Happy New Year, it's going to be a 'bumpy ride' but hopefully we'll make a America grin again. Best, Steve
          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• That is quite an irreplaceable gift, Elbee, I'm glad Santa agreed your self-proclaimed naughtiness was acceptably benign! Kudos to Santa, she done good!
            Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Elbee
              Elbee commented
              Editing a comment
              Alpha, Well, I was pretty good; anywho, Tamms read your reply and now there's no livin' with her. LOL... Though she did inform me that Santa is still watching and can remove said gift in the dark of night. Best and Happy New Year, LB

• How long did it take you guys to get your order from Motion RC? I ordered using standard US postal service shipping to Hawaii and it was due Dec 26th. It then said delayed, and updated to in transit to next facility as of the 15th and no further status after that. It has been in transit 18 days and in 3 days will be 3 weeks. I am getting impatient.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hugh Wiedman View Post

Wow, those are outstanding, where did you order them from? I'm just finishing making the Hansen Hobbies polarized latching connections to accomplish the same thing and getting rid of the blue box, but I'm having to actually make the connectors; lots of cutting wires, soldering and crimping the female/male leads.

Sorry for the late response, I just saw it. I purchased them on E-Bay and they were $44.00 for a pair. I Installed them and they work GREAT!! You will have to take one of the leads and attach a JST connector for the nav light and add a JST female connector to the other end to plug into the blue box. It was no biggie to do, Too bad I cracked up my Spitfire this past weekend and am now repairing the wings. It was my fault, and just lost orientation on base.

SOLD BY
              bladekeeper(1 item)
              Order Spektrum JR Style Multi Servo Connection, Extension, Servo Wire Lead, Radio

Name:	20200102_095016_resized.jpg
Views:	1215
Size:	138.2 KB
ID:	225653

Comment

• Does anyone have the "Dead Nuts On" original colors for the Spitfire? I brought my wing to both Home Depot and Lowes and they can only get it close but not close enough. Sure would be helpful if the manufacturers would provide the colors in the manual..

Comment

• Originally posted by Denniswpb View Post
                  Does anyone have the "Dead Nuts On" original colors for the Spitfire? I brought my wing to both Home Depot and Lowes and they can only get it close but not close enough. Sure would be helpful if the manufacturers would provide the colors in the manual..
                  I do not think there is any exact match available on the market. I have mixed some accurate matches by combining several tamiya colours (I can give you an approximate 'recipe' if you are interested, but it will involve some trial and error on your behalf to get the exact mix ratio correct).

It would however be nice if manufacturers sold small pots of the actual paint they use as spare parts - I would always buy these with every model purchase.

Comment

• Originally posted by Denniswpb View Post
                    Does anyone have the "Dead Nuts On" original colors for the Spitfire? I brought my wing to both Home Depot and Lowes and they can only get it close but not close enough. Sure would be helpful if the manufacturers would provide the colors in the manual..
                    DW, If you are going to spray a"matte" or protective finish after you place the markings, your 'Home Depot or Lowe's' samples should be fine. It is amazing how well all the paint and markings look after a couple coats of "Matte" on the airframe. Best, LB
                    ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• The best clear coat finish I found is Mod Podge. It goes on milky but smooths out and dries very even and hard. Use the stuff in the purple label. Just apply it with a foam brush. It seals down the decals also.

Comment

• idk, I think it was in the plethora of Pappy Boyington books I have, I once saw a picture of a corsair with bullet holes patched and repainted. the caption hinted, or came right out and said they used beer cans to patch the planes, thus why I think it came from a book on the black sheep. in the 40's bear cans were made of steel (I think, in the 60's and 70's the cans would rust so they defiantly were not aluminum) steel and aluminum can't be welded together so I dismissed it.

years later I was modifying c130's and when they touched up the area we were working on they used a brush on paint. and the hue was not matched both in the black and white corsair pic or in person on the c130's. the crew said that after it had set up they would dampen a rag with reducer and take the edge off and in 6 month you wount be able to tell the difference.

so if its a shade or two off I don't sweat it, call it weathering. but w color match a rag soaked in water just after it all goes to flat (no ponds of glossy wet paint) does do a nice job of softening the edges.

Joe
                        Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Just an FYI... I finally found the "Dead Nuts On" Spitfire colors I was looking for. I found someone at Lowes who knew what they were doing and played with the colors.. Hope nobody needs these for repairs, but if ya' do... here they are! :-)

Name:	Spitfire -Green.jpg
Views:	1658
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	226649Click image for larger version

Name:	Spitfire - Bottom Gray.jpg
Views:	1641
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	226650Click image for larger version

Name:	Spitfire - Blue_Gray top.jpg
Views:	1619
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	226651

Comment

• Thank you so much

Comment

• OK, I've done a stupid thing: I lost the 3x30mm Phillips-head screw that holds the spinner to the prop disk. Anyone know where I can source a suitable replacement? The smallest I could find locally (Lowe's) is a 3x20mm, which is too short. There are a ton of hex-head 3x30mm available online, but I think the diameter of the hex-head is too wide to fit down the throat of the screw hole.

Thoughts/recommendations?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stan/Eval View Post
                                OK, I've done a stupid thing: I lost the 3x30mm Phillips-head screw that holds the spinner to the prop disk. Anyone know where I can source a suitable replacement? The smallest I could find locally (Lowe's) is a 3x20mm, which is too short. There are a ton of hex-head 3x30mm available online, but I think the diameter of the hex-head is too wide to fit down the throat of the screw hole.

I would just get another replacement prop and spinner. You know sooner or later you're gonna need one anyway! LOL

Comment

OK, I've done a stupid thing: I lost the 3x30mm Phillips-head screw that holds the spinner to the prop disk. Anyone know where I can source a suitable replacement? The smallest I could find locally (Lowe's) is a 3x20mm, which is too short. There are a ton of hex-head 3x30mm available online, but I think the diameter of the hex-head is too wide to fit down the throat of the screw hole.

S/E, there's got to be a replacement screw set through MotionRC with that screw in it.
                                  Otherwise, pick up a few online. https://www.amazon.com/iExcell-Stain...SIN=B076H2QJ5C
                                  Can't believe a Socket head won't fit. It can't be so much larger that you couldn't drill out the spinner to fit.
                                  Hope I've helped.
                                  Best, LB
                                  ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• If you can't find one, PM me and I will mail you one.

Comment

• Thanks very much for the input. While I can't discount the advice and offer from Denniswpb, I think I'll go with the Amazon suggestion Elbee provided - it will give me 20 more to lose!

Thanks again, S/E

Comment

It will give me 20 more to lose! Thanks again, S/E
                                        S/E, Best, LB
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

Working...
                                        X