Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not sure that you can go through to the pin as you are attempting. Sorry not much help, maybe a smaller diameter rod?

Comment

• jeffco, there is a slot on the left side of the strut in your picture. in that slot is a pin, removing that pin and the strut comes apart. that pin is press fit into place so to get it out you will need to drill a hole in the right part of the strut to drive the pin out. or get a pair of pliers that can grab it tight enough to pull the pin out. being it is in the landing gear the press is going to be pretty tight so at that point the strut is trash.

Joe
      Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• My understanding of the picture is he's already taken the strut apart and that the drift is in the lower part. Good point that he may have to drill through to the pin.

Originally posted by paladin View Post
        jeffco, there is a slot on the left side of the strut in your picture. in that slot is a pin, removing that pin and the strut comes apart. that pin is press fit into place so to get it out you will need to drill a hole in the right part of the strut to drive the pin out. or get a pair of pliers that can grab it tight enough to pull the pin out. being it is in the landing gear the press is going to be pretty tight so at that point the strut is trash.

Joe

Comment

• i was just guessing. that's all that is left to take apart, though the mushrooming of the aluminum at the top of the strut puzzles me. must be from the mishap. if he is trying to remove the broken pin from the top i would slit it with a Dremel cut off wheel enough to let me spin it. then once it spinning i would use the cut off wheel again through the set screw hole (thats why i never throw out my used up cutoff wheels) to give me something to put the punch on to get it moving in the right direction. i dough its glued, there is a peace of the break that is holding it in if it does not fall out, its harder than the aluminum so correcting that will be difficult.

Joe
          Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Thanks for your advice. I'll have one more try but then order a new leg. I've only just seen the spares list for the first time and I'm impressed, it's all there and at fair prices. I'll buy prop blades too.

Comment

• Affordable spare parts and availability are one of the great things about MotionRC.

If you're ordering prop blades I always order as many sets as I can afford so I can weigh each blade and arrange into as close as possible sets. Having a nicely balanced prop does is essential for how well these planes operate. With the Spitfire and the fields I operate out of, prop strikes are not that unusual so it's a good idea to have an extra set or complete assembly ready go.

Comment

• Good advice.
                But my leg is now repaired and ready to fly again.
                I had trouble getting the pin out because the drift was too thick and I was hammering against the shoulder. It came out easily by using a pointed 3mm drill bit as a drift and the pin was not glued in as others reported.
                Thanks again to all. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210422_162252.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	121.7 KB
ID:	309785

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                  Affordable spare parts and availability are one of the great things about MotionRC.
                  Hi,

I just signed up to say that I concur on that point! The battery of my Spitfire caught fire just as I had landed (this Thursday). All the spare parts I need to fix the plane are already on their way and will arrive on Tuesday!

I have other planes that had issues (usually pilot error ... err sorry strike that, radio problems 🤣, leading to damage), from other vendors, no way to get spare parts ... and here I'm going to have hardly a week of downtime with the Spitfire (most of it is to going to be me finding the time to fix her) that is several years old ...

I count myself lucky that the battery didn't blow up in mid air, I wouldn't have a spit left but that's another story. Just wanted to say thanks for having spare part availability, much appreciated!

Comment

• Originally posted by Beeg View Post
                    Affordable spare parts and availability are one of the great things about MotionRC.

Try getting parts for a Eurofighter or F-35 V2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fluffy78 View Post

Hi,

I just signed up to say that I concur on that point! The battery of my Spitfire caught fire just as I had landed (this Thursday). All the spare parts I need to fix the plane are already on their way and will arrive on Tuesday!

I have other planes that had issues (usually pilot error ... err sorry strike that, radio problems 🤣, leading to damage), from other vendors, no way to get spare parts ... and here I'm going to have hardly a week of downtime with the Spitfire (most of it is to going to be me finding the time to fix her) that is several years old ...

I count myself lucky that the battery didn't blow up in mid air, I wouldn't have a spit left but that's another story. Just wanted to say thanks for having spare part availability, much appreciated!
                      F7, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. I hope this isn't your only post. Great to have you onboard here. Also, glad you were able to get spares in the EU. Best, LB
                      I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Originally posted by Elbee View Post

F7, Welcome to Hobby Squawk. I hope this isn't your only post. Great to have you onboard here. Also, glad you were able to get spares in the EU. Best, LB
                        Well maybe I can make a second one 🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for the welcome 🙋‍♂️

ps: Don't mind me if I'm cheeky, I'm French ... we're not all perfect :)

Comment

• Welcome! Fluffy78
                          My wife is half french (Parisian at that) and half swedish, so she's only half perfect, but always right! I jest. It took me a while but I finally understand how powerful the french are in debate.

Comment

• Never argue with the missus, first rule I learnt rapido ... that way she leaves me tinker on my toys 😍

Comment

• Flares, chaff, and dive for the deck!

Comment

• Originally posted by SanExup View Post
                                Flares, chaff, and dive for the deck!
                                You mean like this?

🤣

Comment

• Click image for larger version  Name:	SpitfireBurnt.PNG Views:	0 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	310717Hello,

I have a question, apologies if this has been discussed.

Is anyone using the BEC that came with the ESC of the plane? I had a separate BEC that caught fire and burnt the plane & the BEC battery.

I have fixed her and wanted to go fly her again but I don't have a BEC battery and was thinking of using the BEC that came with the ESC.

thank you for your advice/opinion,

Cédric

ps: If so, should I put a ferrite around the wire coming from the BEC?

Comment

• Any idea why it caught fire? I assume you had a BEC properly rated for the expected load?

I would think most that buy the plane use the stock ESC with internal BEC. There are a vocal select few that say they always run separate BECs or other power for the radio system. I've always used the stock system unless, in the rare case, I have a reason not to. Reasons would be major changes to the aircraft, servos, lights, etc or a specific technical reason such as it came with a linear BEC and not a switching BEC. The way I look at it the ESCs internal BEC when used within it's rating is less likely to cause issues than a separate one with extra connections, wire, and power source.

I usually leave the ferrite rings on ESCs that have them but sometimes I need the extra inch or two of wire and remove them. Never had a issue either way.

Comment

• I use the stock BEC that is integrated with the ESC. Haven't had a problem in 4 years.

Comment

• @Fluffy78 In your initial post about the fire you stated your "battery" caught fire. Just to clarify was it the separate BEC battery or the main power battery? Or was it the BEC itself that started the fire?

I've only had one fire in an electric airplane and it was due to snugging the fully charged battery down and letting the metal ring of the battery strap dig into the corner edge of the battery causing a very dramatic instant fire. This was about a year or so ago. Since then I have been very careful about how I strap in batteries. This was an expensive mistake. The only thing that survived was the gear, most wing servos and the empennage. I really hated loosing the almost new battery too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RoughDay_02.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	436.2 KB
ID:	310758

I mention this encase your main battery is what caught fire and maybe you had strapped your battery in with the metal ring at the battery edge and your last landing may have been enough to make it dig in and cause the short.

Like many here that have flown these electrics and mainly FLRC/Freewing planes for some time if you leave them pretty much stock and don't abuse them too much they are trouble free. As much as I can 100% determine I have never had an an electrical failure due to the built in ESC/BEC. I would reserve judgment on the blueboxes though....

Comment

• Beeg, read it again...

"I had a separate BEC that caught fire and burnt the plane & the BEC battery."

Comment

Working...
                                          X