X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by paladin View Post
    anyone have a color match for the stock green on this plane?

Joe
    Best thing to do Joe is to take it to Ace and have then scan the color. Take a wing or the horizontal stab, whatever is easiest to remove. I got them to scan mine, but with all the alterations I did on the color, I still have to add a bit of black or white to match a certain panel.

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post

Best thing to do Joe is to take it to Ace and have then scan the color. Take a wing or the horizontal stab, whatever is easiest to remove. I got them to scan mine, but with all the alterations I did on the color, I still have to add a bit of black or white to match a certain panel.

Grossman56
      Joe: I just looked at my sample jars for all the colors of the Spitfire done at Home Depot about 5 years ago when my plane was brand new. Unfortunately, the top of the cap where they put the paint formula that they came up with for a match is goobered up with some paint drops and it's gotten wet over the years trying to wrench off the top to get inside. Sorry, I can't take a picture of it and be any aid to you on that paint color. I might be able to help out on the others.

Having said that, I agree with Grossman to take it over to a HD, Ace, or Lowe's paint department and have a section of your plane scanned to get a pretty close match. Let me know if you need any of the other colors for the plane, I might be able to help there, hopefully.

cheers

davegee

Comment

• ya, i took the battery cover in and they said it was two small. i thought that was interesting because i can bring in 1x1in paint chips and they can read them fine. so i'm torn between operator preference and try again, or disassemble the plane, or march the whole thing in?

my real concern is i have been patching with an rlm green for 5 years i don't know if i can get a good match from my plane.

oh, well. thank you everyone for trying, i think i'm just going to march it in so we can agree on a place to take the reading.

Joe
        Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• What? The battery compartment cover isn't too small, that what I brought in to my local paint shop!

Comment

• I even have a small 800mm plane that I liked the color and wanted to use for another project. I used the battery hatch for that as well and it had the canopy on it. I think someone is being lazy or difficult, at least it sounds like it. I've had custom colors made a fair bit. I don't want to get you fired up and rabid but you need to find a different customer service person at that store or go to a different one.

Comment

• thanks, good to know that its been done before with a little paint splotch. i won't be detoured so easily next time.
              Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• It's how I had mine matched too, on both the1200 and 1600... Maybe a different store or shift?

BTW I really don't like to use parts like the battery hatch, I've had some workers push down hard wit the sensor (some stores have fixed sensors) and dent the foam leaving a ring.

Comment

ya, i took the battery cover in and they said it was two small. i thought that was interesting because i can bring in 1x1in paint chips and they can read them fine. so i'm torn between operator preference and try again, or disassemble the plane, or march the whole thing in?

my real concern is i have been patching with an rlm green for 5 years i don't know if i can get a good match from my plane.

oh, well. thank you everyone for trying, i think i'm just going to march it in so we can agree on a place to take the reading.

Joe
                  Well that's Brown Sugar!
                  I got a can from Ace Hardware with my battery hatch and also with the 1200 Spitty battery hatch,
                  So, here are the numbers from my 1600mm Spitfire can for the green:

AXXN 38
                  B 188
                  KX 253
                  L 95

Try that, it will definitely get you in the ballpark, worked great for my wingtips and I have to play around with the color for the fuse as I do so many things over top of the stock base color.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• well i stopped at lowes last night just before closing and they had to call the paint guy in from the parking lot so he was happy to help. they no longer do flat in samples so i had to buy quarts so i guess i know what the next colors the sienna will be. i'll post a pic of all the tops tomorrow.

thanks everyone

Joe

Comment

well i stopped at lowes last night just before closing and they had to call the paint guy in from the parking lot so he was happy to help. they no longer do flat in samples so i had to buy quarts so i guess i know what the next colors the sienna will be. i'll post a pic of all the tops tomorrow.

thanks everyone

Joe
                      Joe, I buy semi-gloss or gloss samples and finish the whole model in a matte or flat acrylic spray. That method works well and pulls everything together unifying the top coat, i.e., decals, varying types of paint and weathering. Best, LB
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001 (2).JPG
Views:	908
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	321075

I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                      ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                      ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

well i stopped at lowes last night just before closing and they had to call the paint guy in from the parking lot so he was happy to help. they no longer do flat in samples so i had to buy quarts so i guess i know what the next colors the sienna will be. i'll post a pic of all the tops tomorrow.

thanks everyone

Joe
                        Dang Joe, I should have said that as well! I buy the satin and have them mix me a pint of the color, I'll never use it all let alone a quart.
                        Once the paint is on, I'll coat it with Minwax flat Varathane (got that on Amazon) Its's in a blue Minwax can, quart size. Now, personally, I've found that the gloss will cover and seal the decals better than flat so I'll coat the airplane with the gloss first, just my own preference. Once dry, I'll spray (using a spray gun) on the flat, it might take several layers to get the effect you want. I've found that for the glossiest result, use a brush, for the flatest effect, use a spray gun. If you do a side by side comparison between flat applied with a brush and flat that's sprayed on. you'll see a big difference. as for weathering, if you want the UV protection, best to do it first. It's like a painting, you finish it before adding the sealer.
                        Most have seen the results on my Spitfire, but to save you the time of scrolling back..
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2081.JPG
Views:	862
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	321080

Grossman56 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2083.JPG
Views:	863
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	321081
                        Team Gross!

Comment

• Elbee and Grossman56
                          I really like the stock paint but it's so good to see some other schemes and variations! Nice work!

Comment

• thanks again guys, i'm only making it pretty so jay and i can do formation at our clubs warbird rally. then most likely the grandson will fly it, fifteen and reflexes like a cat, but no experience so if it survives great! if not i may have to get a new one, boo hoo.

Joe

Comment

• Originally posted by kallend View Post
                              I haven't heard of a single instance of a failure of the stock ESC/BEC in this Spit. Has anyone? In fact I've never had a Freewing/Flightline/Hobbywing ESC/BEC failure in any of my models.

In general I don't add unnecessary components to my aircraft - it just creates an additional point of potential failure.
                              Yes, It happened to me. Luckily it was still on the setup bench.
                              I setup the Spitfire using a Specktrum 637T. I use a Spektrum IX12 transmitter.
                              The following day I double checked the setup, I connected the battery to the esc, the receiver didn't light up and the esc didn't sound it's usual beeps.
                              All I got was 1 beep every 1 second, the prop moving slightly with the beeps. It took 4 attempts at unplugging and plugging the battery back in for everything to come to life.
                              In 10 years of model flying this never happened before. The esc continued to work following this but I completely lost confidence in the esc supplied with the aircraft. I fitted a
                              E-Flite 80A esc for the maiden. It flew great, 3 good landing without nosing over, but a tendency to nose over on initial take off run.
                              I have just fitted a MR RC Sound to the bird and sound is great. Increased up elevator for taxing and increase forward rake of undercarriage by using 3 small washers under rear fixing. The rake has moved the wheels forward about 16mm and taxies great in garden. Will be trying everything out at the field over the next 3 days.

Comment

• Originally posted by royhdg View Post

Yes, It happened to me. Luckily it was still on the setup bench.
                                I setup the Spitfire using a Specktrum 637T. I use a Spektrum IX12 transmitter.
                                The following day I double checked the setup, I connected the battery to the esc, the receiver didn't light up and the esc didn't sound it's usual beeps.
                                All I got was 1 beep every 1 second, the prop moving slightly with the beeps. It took 4 attempts at unplugging and plugging the battery back in for everything to come to life.
                                In 10 years of model flying this never happened before. The esc continued to work following this but I completely lost confidence in the esc supplied with the aircraft. I fitted a
                                E-Flite 80A esc for the maiden. It flew great, 3 good landing without nosing over, but a tendency to nose over on initial take off run.
                                I have just fitted a MR RC Sound to the bird and sound is great. Increased up elevator for taxing and increase forward rake of undercarriage by using 3 small washers under rear fixing. The rake has moved the wheels forward about 16mm and taxies great in garden. Will be trying everything out at the field over the next 3 days.
                                Happened to me as well about 2 months ago, everything connected but it didn't give me the 6 beeps indicating the # of cells in the battery. Unfortunately, I didn't really notice the missing beeps and as I did hear some single beeps I just hooked up the sound system thinking I'm just a little deaf and taxied out. Took off OK, only slightly sluggish, but thought that was do to slightly longer grass. Once in the air, it would not go to full throttle (maybe 50%) and executed an emergency landing. All worked out and took it to the bench and confirmed the lack of correct beeps. Replaced the ESC with a spare I had from a previous Spitty and back in business. The first ESC I've had crap out on me, after only about 50 flights. The ESC I stuck in had 200 flights on it before the wing tubes separated in a high G Split S, my fault for not reducing throttle earlier. So it does happen.
                                Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• The undercarriage mod works great, it makes taxing and take off run a breeze.
                                  It nosed over on the first landing and discovered the wheel spat had dug in and snapped half of it off.
                                  Second landing was a great 3 pointer without any hesitation of nosing over.
                                  I might repair the spat and round of the leading edge, but remove them until the grass is cut again.

Comment

• Youtube link received from a friend of my Spitfire landing last Sunday

Comment

• royhdg Sweeeet! Love the sound system with the Merlin engine as well, have it in mine and always get some 2nd looks and queries on whether it is an electric, like REALLY, you can't tell a gas engine when you hear it??
                                      Hugh "Wildman" Wiedman
                                      Hangar: FL/FW: Mig 29 "Cobra", A-10 Arctic, F18 Canadian & Tiger Meet, F16 Wild Weasel, F4 Phantom & Blue Angel, 1600 Corsair & Spitfire, Olive B-24, Stinger 90, Red Avanti. Extreme Flight-FW-190 Red Tulip, Slick 60, 60" Extra 300 V2, 62" MXS Heavy Metal, MXS Green, & Demonstrator. FMS-1700mm P-51, Red Bull Corsair. E-Flite-70mm twin SU-30, Beast Bi-Plane 60", P2 Bi-Plane, P-51.

Comment

• Originally posted by royhdg View Post
                                        The undercarriage mod works great, it makes taxing and take off run a breeze.
                                        It nosed over on the first landing and discovered the wheel spat had dug in and snapped half of it off.
                                        Second landing was a great 3 pointer without any hesitation of nosing over.
                                        I might repair the spat and round of the leading edge, but remove them until the grass is cut again.
                                        Excuse me but what is the undercarriage mod? It sounds interesting but I am not aware of it.

Comment

• Last paragraph of #3054 above.
                                          Just a few small washers under rear fixings to rake wheels forward about 16mm.
                                          The gear still retracts ok.
                                          (not my idea. I read about this mode perhaps in this forum or another)

Comment

Working...
                                          X