Motion RC Gift Cards - The Perfect Gift!

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FlightLine RC 1600mm Spitfire Mk. IX Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You must have really good, and trustworthy, friends. LOL
    Nice photos!
    ---
    Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post
      Charlie, your home field is a tough one to practice short field drills. But to do it right you need sliders for flaps not the three position toggle. The latter will cause more trouble than anything. Flaps produce the majority of their lift in the first 20 degrees of deployment, by 30 degrees drag becomes the major component and continues to grow as they continue to come down (this is for the type of flaps on a p-51, flap the spit has are different than just laid out). drag is important because it keeps the plane from ballooning, but if you kill half the flaps you kill mostly drag and now she wants to balloon. Slider lets me dump flaps all at once.

Joe
      LOL Everyday is a short field drill at my field when using your words "flying from a postage stamp". Like ya told your boy, just makes ya better:Cool:
      Tried the slider for flaps and didn't care for it. All my warbirds have 15 degree TO and 30 degree Landing on the 3 way using 4 sec delays for transition to avoid that abrupt surface change.
      The only one different is the WartHog at 20 & 40 for obvious reasons.
      Wish there was a way to take the delay out when dumping from position 2 to 0 on the flap switch;)
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• From a "scale" perspective the Spitfire only had two flap positions...up and 85 degrees down. http://www.angelfire.com/indie/aerostuff/spitflap.htm

Also, Spitfire flaps move almost instantly from closed to full open. Watch at 33:45 in this video: https://theairtacticalassaultgroup.c...ad.php?t=11665

Comment

• Got my tail wheel in a day from Motion and installed it in about 4 minutes with no issues. Maiden tonight!

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

LOL Everyday is a short field drill at my field when using your words "flying from a postage stamp". Like ya told your boy, just makes ya better:Cool:
            Tried the slider for flaps and didn't care for it. All my warbirds have 15 degree TO and 30 degree Landing on the 3 way using 4 sec delays for transition to avoid that abrupt surface change.
            The only one different is the WartHog at 20 & 40 for obvious reasons.
            Wish there was a way to take the delay out when dumping from position 2 to 0 on the flap switch;)
            I did not mention carrier deck when landing from the south (that's why u like it)? with a rookie killing down draft!

I flew there for 20 years, when there I would pick a touchdown spot and if I missed it I would go-round even when at other fields that had the space to stretch a landing. my point being you have no contingency, makes practice hard!

I usually set flaps by reducing T to down wind pass prior to landing and add F till im holding the same E as clean (does not always work). WWII planes I strive for 45-50 degrees of flap (spit 90degrees). if you can't dump flaps you can't do short field landings, 4 seconds is way to long.

my FMS 190 is ready for a rematch.

Joe
            Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Originally posted by paladin View Post

my FMS 190 is ready for a rematch.

Joe
              Looks like we'll have that rematch. WBC will be at our warbird themed fly next week. I've got tickets available if anybody wants some action:Cool:LOL.

Comment

• Man am I PO'd! I managed to bump the throttle stick while the plane was on the workbench and wiped out all four prop blades. Then I find that prop blades are out of stock.....!!!! How can you not have spares on hand for a plane that is this popular???

I don't know what to say...

Just called MRC and they said they hoped to have them in stock tomorrow, or next week, or in three weeks...depending on which shipment they arrive in.

Comment

• Radfordc, I've got a set that I'll sell you at cost, but with HobbyKing shipping costs. :Devil:
                  ---
                  Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post
                    Man am I PO'd! I managed to bump the throttle stick while the plane was on the workbench and wiped out all four prop blades. Then I find that prop blades are out of stock.....!!!! How can you not have spares on hand for a plane that is this popular???

I don't know what to say...

Just called MRC and they said they hoped to have them in stock tomorrow, or next week, or in three weeks...depending on which shipment they arrive in.
                    Say you'll program in the throttle cut on a Tx switch and not have to worry about an inadvertently bumped throttle stick versus being PO'd about MRC inventory ;)
                    Warbird Charlie
                    HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Throttle Cut is definitely your friend...

With that said, though, the other day I was getting my P-38 ready to transport to the field. I'd power up the TX, turned on Throttle cut, then connected the battery. As I was picking up the P-38 to raise the gear, i bumped the TX, which I had balanced a little too precariously on my work bench. The TX fell off it's little stool and only dropped about 6 inches, but in that short distance, the throttle cut switch was bumped to OFF (ie, throttle engaged) and the throttle stick was bumped to about half throttle. :Scared: Life was really, really interesting for the few seconds that it took me to lower the throttle back to zero. Amazingly, I didn't get cut or break anything. :Whew:
                      ---
                      Warbirder

Comment

• Oh man! Lucky indeed! Yikes!

Comment

• Yep, I should've driven to Tennessee and bought some lottery tickets!
                          ---
                          Warbirder

Comment

• Originally posted by Oxotnik View Post
                            Throttle Cut is definitely your friend...

With that said, though, the other day I was getting my P-38 ready to transport to the field. I'd power up the TX, turned on Throttle cut, then connected the battery. As I was picking up the P-38 to raise the gear, i bumped the TX, which I had balanced a little too precariously on my work bench. The TX fell off it's little stool and only dropped about 6 inches, but in that short distance, the throttle cut switch was bumped to OFF (ie, throttle engaged) and the throttle stick was bumped to about half throttle. :Scared: Life was really, really interesting for the few seconds that it took me to lower the throttle back to zero. Amazingly, I didn't get cut or break anything. :Whew:
                            And with all that said, get the throttle cut off of a toggle switch and put it on the rotary knob where it can't be accidently engaged to on as in your example or inadvertently engaged to off while on a maiden flight 30 up just after lift off.......ask me how I know :Scared:
                            Warbird Charlie

Comment

• While throttle cut is a great thing...there is a cardinal rule of flying electrics I've heard for years. Take the prop off when you intend to power up on the bench.
                              Big time propeller head
                              Love flying scale and 3D
                              Currently building a GP SE5A

Comment

• The wait was worth it. A perfect maiden. Range checked her, pointed her down the runway, eased into the throttle, she lifted the tail and eased into the air. Two or three clicks of up elevator and a couple clicks of left aileron and flew her for about 10 minutes on my 5800mah Revolectrix LIPO. Dropped the gear and flaps and greased her in for a big long tail up landing. She is a keeper. Here she is sitting on the tarmac in the english countryside at sunset, awaiting another sortie.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	p2473389781-5.jpg
Views:	550
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	93259

Attached Files

Comment

• Congratulations 2FewDaysAtFlyingField!

Comment

• radfordc,

First, it's good to hear you didn't get injured. These electric motors/props do serious damage to human flesh. I won't go into the safety speech as that's already been pointed out.
                                    But, if you broke all your blades I would give your backplate a serious look over. Breaking all your blades put some serious stress on it. You may want to check the straightness of your prop shaft as well. To be on the safe side I'd order a whole new propeller assembly and not just new blades.

Comment

• Awesome! Grats on the maiden mate.

(Ps: throttle lock is your friend). ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by Shirty View Post
                                        Awesome! Grats on the maiden mate.

(Ps: throttle lock is your friend). ;)
                                        I fly the Futaba Radio Systems (18 SZ & 14 SG) and setup a multi-lock). Gotta throw a switch and rotate the left hand slider forward. Hasn't failed me yet. That and propellers off till setup complete....

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

And with all that said, get the throttle cut off of a toggle switch and put it on the rotary knob where it can't be accidently engaged to on as in your example or inadvertently engaged to off while on a maiden flight 30 up just after lift off.......ask me how I know :Scared:
                                          Yep, there's always that 'one more thing to think about' that usually manifests itself at the most inopertune time. Mr. Murphy should be drawn and quartered...
                                          ---
                                          Warbirder

Comment

Working...
                                          X