You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official FlightLine RC 1600mm Spitfire Mk. IX Thread

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by franky View Post
    Thank you MesRCpilot for the link and Radfordc for confirmation about the flaps. I have not flown this spit with flaps, i will give it a try.
    Yes thanks guys about the recommendation regarding the flaps. I originally set my flaps like I would normally do. When I would deploy the flaps with my original settings the plane would dive down like a lawn dart. Since changing my elevator mixing with the flap settings around what a difference that made in landing. It is so cool to see the plane come in and land with the full flaps deployed.


    This is a note for the MotionRC guys.

    While I know you are busy getting planes built and out the door. I think it would be handy for you to keep a section at the beginning of you build thread for quick tip notes that people find. Someone might have a tip for the flaps and another might recommend tie wrapping the wires a certain way. I have tried to use the search option a few times to look for words like "flaps' and I couldn't find what I was looking for.

    Anyway it is just a thought as you have so many great pilots doing additional product verification for you.

    I love my Spitfire. Seven flights and counting. I know of a few more planes that are going to be on order for trip up North to Canada. Everyone is amazed with the plane and how it flies.

    Jeff

    Comment


    • Hey Aros, What did CSI find on the Spitty? R. ;)
      AMA 424553

      Comment


      • Well funny you should ask! ;)

        I just got back from the school in fact. I had not heard back from anyone. I went there yesterday and it was still up on the roof. I tried calling the principle, I left a message and still nothing. I know this is not on their list of priorities with school getting ready to start. So I decided to drive over there again after work. It was still on the roof. Luckily, I found two willing custodians who had no problem going up to retrieve it for me. Risking life and limb! (I did mention I can't afford any ER bill so be careful, lol!)...

        Preliminary examination shows that the ESC to motor connections were in fact loose. However, that could have occurred on impact so there's no way to know definitively if that was the problem all along. The servo leads were still secure in their ports on the receiver. So no free replacement bird for me. There's just no way to tell if it was something on the manufacturer side or something that occurred on my side.

        I suppose it's salvagable if I REALLY wanted to see it fly again, but I rarely like to put "Franken-birds" back together. I will likely let the Friendly Vultures have at her. LOL

        (Speaking of, the first FV humbly asked if he could have the gear, however I do have a spare starboard gear that is still in the bag I will be happy to sell). I will likely prefer to sell a bunch of stuff to one person then spend the time mailing out several pieces to different folks. Just PM me if you're interested.

        I think I am as ticked off that the Admiral 6S 5000 was destroyed as much as I am of the Spitfire crash. It was a new battery that I used for my A-10 and Avanti. :Angry:
        Attached Files
        My YouTube RC videos:
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

        Comment


        • Dang that sucks about the battery :(
          TiredIron Aviation
          Tired Iron Military Vehicles

          Comment


          • Click image for larger version

Name:	B-25 (12).jpg
Views:	236
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	95053Click image for larger version

Name:	B-25 (11).jpg
Views:	231
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	95054 You can fix that :) Speaking of frankenbirds, Here are pics of my LX B-25 I bought used.
            AMA 424553

            Comment


            • One more, look how it was bent to the Rt. Click image for larger version

Name:	B-25 (7).jpg
Views:	221
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	95057
              AMA 424553

              Comment


              • Greetings all,

                Just had a quick look at my esc connections as well and they were separated by about 3/16". Put them back together tight and used some Blenderm tape around the joints then velcroed down the esc with a small patch about 1 inch square.
                Really love this airframe!! A thing of beauty and an excellent flyer to boot.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by SkipperDen View Post
                  Greetings all,

                  Just had a quick look at my esc connections as well and they were separated by about 3/16". Put them back together tight and used some Blenderm tape around the joints then velcroed down the esc with a small patch about 1 inch square.
                  Really love this airframe!! A thing of beauty and an excellent flyer to boot.
                  Thanks for the news. I guess I better take a look at my connections also.

                  Jeff

                  Comment


                  • If my crash can save even one other Spitfire than she didn't die in vain. Please, everyone, double check and secure your ESC to motor connection before your next flight. I have a strong feeling that was the cause of my crash.
                    My YouTube RC videos:
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

                    Comment


                    • Has anyone else had difficulty with the retracts? I replaced my left retract because it stopped working and when I disassembled it the micro switches were dead. I ordered a new left retract and replaced it and now the right retract is dead. After disassembling and reassembly I got it working without the strut on but it won't work with the strut on. Again, I think the micro switches are malfunctioning. I've had a lot of retracts on freewing and flightline planes that have worked flawlessly but these new retracts on the Spit are a real disappointment.

                      Comment


                      • :-)
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1369.JPG
Views:	235
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	95332

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                          If my crash can save even one other Spitfire than she didn't die in vain. Please, everyone, double check and secure your ESC to motor connection before your next flight. I have a strong feeling that was the cause of my crash.
                          Aros........I went and re-read all your post crash analysis but no where do you indicate any testing of the ESC for BEC failure.
                          For your motor to quit as well as all controls says the cause of crash was more than from a motor/ESC wire connection issue.
                          Even if there was a connection issue, your motor just quits and it is not going to cause a severe and abrupt downward pitch of the starboard wing as you first indicated in post #1299.
                          With your experience, a loss of a motor is just a deadstick landing.
                          I firmly believe you had a brownout(BEC failure or signal loss) which affected ALL controls including the throttle which went to the failsafe and the wire connection of the motor/ESC not being seated was caused by the crash.
                          Don't let your Spitty die......FoamTac/Gorilla and some paint. ;)
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

                          Comment


                          • I did test the ESC and everything was working normally. All controls were functioning normal. I am still leaning towards loose connections but that wouldn't explain the sudden violent roll to starboard as everything froze.
                            My YouTube RC videos:
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDZ..._bdGEJBmtV7YUw

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by 19000rpm View Post
                              Has anyone else had difficulty with the retracts? I replaced my left retract because it stopped working and when I disassembled it the micro switches were dead. I ordered a new left retract and replaced it and now the right retract is dead. After disassembling and reassembly I got it working without the strut on but it won't work with the strut on. Again, I think the micro switches are malfunctioning. I've had a lot of retracts on freewing and flightline planes that have worked flawlessly but these new retracts on the Spit are a real disappointment.
                              Bad micro switches on retracts are a big problem. Here is a link to how you can eliminate the problem...

                              https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tal-upgrade%29

                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3224618...=ps&dispItem=1

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                                I did test the ESC and everything was working normally. All controls were functioning normal. I am still leaning towards loose connections but that wouldn't explain the sudden violent roll to starboard as everything froze.
                                I know ;)
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by radfordc View Post

                                  Bad micro switches on retracts are a big problem. Here is a link to how you can eliminate the problem...

                                  https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tal-upgrade%29

                                  http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/3224618...=ps&dispItem=1
                                  Thanks for the links. A brilliant piece of work from Aussie. Bob

                                  Comment


                                  • Hey guys I just picked up a neat product to allow me to transport my plane with the wings off. Currently I am cramming my Spitfire into the back of my SUV. While the plane fits in there is much room for other planes. While I have now issue taking the wing off there isn't much length on the wires to the wings. I have watched a few other guys with big Trojans, P38's and Warthogs use a four into one connector I thought I would pick one up. I was worried about the contacts but this product is made well and I have witnessed it in use at my local club for a few years. Anyway I am just passing this one to fellow enthusiasts.

                                    Enjoy,

                                    Jeff
                                    Attached Files

                                    Comment


                                    • You didn't mention whose product it is :Confused:
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: OV-10, Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                                        You didn't mention whose product it is :Confused:
                                        They are by Electro Dynamics. I use several on my big birds. They are really good. You can get different sizes here.....

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by spec450 View Post

                                          Have you ever looked into "SPITFIRE 944" It was an american marked Spitfire Mk. XI all blue with no guns. I believe it was part of the 7th Photo Recon group based int he UK.
                                          Nope, but I will now. :)

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X