Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Hobby Squawkers. I won this puppy in a raffle yesterday and can't wait to get her in the air. She's all together and ready to go. Thanks for the many, many tips etc. in this thread. I read the most recent ten pages. Hopefully that'll be enough.
    I'm going to run her naked for a while, waiting on a graphics set from Callie. I've bought an Avanti jet, my radio and many other things from Motion RC. It was nice to meet a few of the Motion guys down here in Texas yesterday.

Comment

• Grats n welcome to the squawk mate

Comment

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post

Just trying to figure out what's happening...she doesn't need a gyro...maybe you need more speed before rotation.
        I'm running a gyro with great success. Concerning the take-off speed, with 1/2 flaps this thing leaps in the air at 20 mph with a headwind. I try for a scale tail-up extended take-off roll but she ain't having it! I must add that when this happens I'm still applying power. When it does, I reduce the power application rate to prevent torque roll. Concerning ShockTroopers uncommanded aileron roll on take-off, given what already been mentioned, I would stress test the wing servos (with weights) and/or consider replacing the "blue box"... or at least tug on the aileron wire.

Comment

• Hey barron06, try your take-offs with no flaps at all. The real Spifire doesn't, only for landing. You'll get a much more scale tail up take off roll. Brad

Comment

• Will do.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoHaz View Post
              Hi Hobby Squawkers. I won this puppy in a raffle yesterday and can't wait to get her in the air. She's all together and ready to go. Thanks for the many, many tips etc. in this thread. I read the most recent ten pages. Hopefully that'll be enough.
              I'm going to run her naked for a while, waiting on a graphics set from Callie. I've bought an Avanti jet, my radio and many other things from Motion RC. It was nice to meet a few of the Motion guys down here in Texas yesterday.
              Perfect day for flying late today in north Texas. Flew several missions with the Spit today getting used to its very sensitive elevator. I kept increasing expo and throw to reduce how reactive she is on final. My last two flights were all touch and goes just to get used to final approach and landings. She's getting dialed in with every flight. All other flight characteristics and maneuvers are perfect Spitfire expected responses. Lots of positive comments at the field on the scale detail and quality of this plane. This one is a winner.

ScoHaz - we need to fly a few sorties together next time.

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                I don't want to insult your intelligence shocktrooper but in the interest of isolating the cause have you checked that you don't have your aileron throws reversed? It's happened to me and pretty darn hard to get it back in one piece if you come off the ground. I of course , as I'm sure you do, check all throws before take off. It's just an easy one to overlook. One other thought, are both flaps equal up and down? Brad
                No insult taken sir. As I wrote in the beginning here; " I will listen to all and everything". It is my standard (checklist) practice to ALWAYS confirm flight control throw direction(s) while standing behind looking forward, before I EVER roll out for the takeoff. Flaps were set and locked in the full retracted position on both attempts. Thanks though, for your input, as it is and always will be, valuable advice and prompting to never forget to do this; "...confirm all controls are free & correct."

Comment

• Originally posted by shocktrooper View Post

Speaking of ground loops...I am having nothing but grief with MY spit! So far...2 for 2! She rolls out long and smooth with gradual progressive power applied, gets about 3 -4 feet off the ground and rolls hard over to the left with no way to save it!
                  I really believe it's a case of not enough air speed at lift off. The last time I flew my Spit it lifted off and veered hard left because I took off a little sooner than what I had been doing. Let the speed really build up on the ground until you're at full power just before lifting off. Hopefully that will work better.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hiflyer45 View Post

Hello If you haven’t been able to find a solution ..........I have one more suggestion. Is it possible that you have a bent plane ? If the plane is rolling left there must be some aerodynamic input that is causing the roll and if you have checked that all of your controls are moving in the correct direction it may be worth looking to see if the wings have a twist in them. I have had this experience on another design and I was able to temporarily correct it by inputting a lot of trim and I mean a lot, about 3 mm right and 3 mm left. The plane flew level and I was then able to correct the twist. If you set the plane up so that you can eyeball it from the rear sometimes it’s obvious but it may only take small amount of twist to cause the roll. Not sure if that’s helpful but let us know how you make out.
                    Right out of the box, and on through to the 1st maiden attempt, the wings, fuse, horiz stabs, etc, looked fantastic. CG was spot to specs, etc., etc.,...I had all the confidence in the world and it was very calm winds and conditions. Maybe I just got a bad apple, but I doubt it. Since this thing is already dinged up and longer pristine not a snowballs chance that anyone would warranty her, I may add a few shims to the motor mount to slightly exaggerate the thrust angle...remove the blue box and conn. direct to the Rx...and put a degree or three of right wing roll trim in just to see what happens. If it does it again, I'll be inclined to scrap her and save up to buy another, later in the same product run and try again. I DO HONESTLY believe this is an isolated event, and this bird is just as good as Flightline, MotionRC, and all of the successful owners say it is...heck, I even sang it's praises earlier on this same thread a night or two before my first flight! I was giddy with the awesomeness of the size and scale fidelity of this PNP. It (IS) very nerve-wracking to see such a considerable investment of money and faith crash before she can even get off and up to the departure crosswind leg.
                    Much thanks to everyone that has responded and are still trying to help me...I really do appreciate it, and I ALWAYS check my ego at the hanger door or leave it in the truck every time I fly FAA/GA Sport or RC!
                    THX fellas this forum and it's members are great!
                    shocktrooper

Comment

• Originally posted by radfordc View Post

I really believe it's a case of not enough air speed at lift off. The last time I flew my Spit it lifted off and veered hard left because I took off a little sooner than what I had been doing. Let the speed really build up on the ground until you're at full power just before lifting off. Hopefully that will work better.
                      I certainly will do exactly that (and very mindfully so) radfordc! I will have the little-hussy begging me to thumb that stick aft before I let her go next time! FYI...this is indeed my first Spit ever...and I have many, many flights with my "Giant" FMS P47 Thunderbolt, and it too requires a good bit of ground roll speed / distance, and judicious throttle application and control.....but maybe this Spit, by nature of its aerodynamic profile requires even more....?
                      Either way, I will indeed make her scream before I rotate, and I also plan to hold her in ground effect till she just can't take no more! LOL! ......not actually TRYING to be risqué here...but sometimes we "men" just can't help ourselves. I am 100% hardwired straight, American male and "unapologetic" for being so. This narrative did not actually start out as such, but as I proof read...I had to chuckle and wonder who else would too, at the irony of it all. HEH!
                      Hey...why has the armed forces always referred to ships & airplanes as a "she" or a "her"?
                      Because they require a great deal of maintenance, paint and MONEY!
                      FYI...happily married for 32 years, my first and only...would not trade her for all the planes, ships and money in the world!

Comment

• Just thought I would add my thoughts on this, my Spit has a tendency to want to go left on take off, I put it down to torque effect from the 4 blade prop, so now my take off is at half power with some right rudder held until the wheels are off the ground, that's pretty quick, she does want to fly, then I ease off the rudder and slowly increase power as the gear retracts, that works well for me, but every aircraft is different, and we all have our own way of flying, by the way I have a Blackhorse 68 span Spit that has similar traits, not quite as much as its only a two blade electric set up, but half power take off and increase on the clime out, good luck with it Shocktrooper, hope you have some luck. Oh and yes its odd that ships and planes are referred to in the feminine, the only example that I have heard of as masculine was the German heavy cruiser Admiral Sheer, she was for some reason referred to as Der Scheer, just a bit of trivia there, cheers, Lindeman.

Comment

• I am interested in buying this bird but have a few questions, The manual says nothing about location of receiver or position of the plywood base for Gyro except its near CG any one got a photo of this.
                          Secondly what is the actual size of the battery bay, My 6s batteries are slighly larger than the published size of battery bay ..Hate to buy new batteries when i allready have several 6 s

Comment

• Originally posted by lindeman View Post
                            Just thought I would add my thoughts on this, my Spit has a tendency to want to go left on take off, I put it down to torque effect from the 4 blade prop, so now my take off is at half power with some right rudder held until the wheels are off the ground, that's pretty quick, she does want to fly, then I ease off the rudder and slowly increase power as the gear retracts, that works well for me, but every aircraft is different, and we all have our own way of flying, by the way I have a Blackhorse 68 span Spit that has similar traits, not quite as much as its only a two blade electric set up, but half power take off and increase on the clime out, good luck with it Shocktrooper, hope you have some luck. Oh and yes its odd that ships and planes are referred to in the feminine, the only example that I have heard of as masculine was the German heavy cruiser Admiral Sheer, she was for some reason referred to as Der Scheer, just a bit of trivia there, cheers, Lindeman.
                            Hey Shocktrooper, I think lindeman may have something there with regard to the P factor. Yesterday, I was flying my Spit for the 30th or so sortie, winds light with a slight crosswind from the starboard side. Took off as usual with a long takeoff roll,more for scale than anything else, tore up the skies and set up for a landing. Gear down flaps down and turned on final with a nice sink rate. She was settling just a little too fast so I flared but then she floated. I decided to start adding the power and do another go around. Apparently she just got to slow and even though I was feeding throttle slowly, she rolled hard to the left and cartwheeled in the tall grass!! Tore off one wing tip, bent the other and put a slight wrinkle in the fuse just ahead of the wing. It also put a big honkin' ding in my ego! Anyway, point being, that p factor with a four blade prop can get you. Brad

Comment

• Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Hey Shocktrooper, I think lindeman may have something there with regard to the P factor. Yesterday, I was flying my Spit for the 30th or so sortie, winds light with a slight crosswind from the starboard side. Took off as usual with a long takeoff roll,more for scale than anything else, tore up the skies and set up for a landing. Gear down flaps down and turned on final with a nice sink rate. She was settling just a little too fast so I flared but then she floated. I decided to start adding the power and do another go around. Apparently she just got to slow and even though I was feeding throttle slowly, she rolled hard to the left and cartwheeled in the tall grass!! Tore off one wing tip, bent the other and put a slight wrinkle in the fuse just ahead of the wing. It also put a big honkin' ding in my ego! Anyway, point being, that p factor with a four blade prop can get you. Brad
                              Brad,
                              Warbirds means keep the landing airspeed up. Too many are still trying to do the floaty thing.
                              What side of the plane was the crosswind hitting during the landing??
                              A port crosswind along with too slow is enough to induce a stall without any influence from that P-factor and/or it's three other related factors.;)

Unfortunately since the majority of warbirds are tail draggers, there are three other force factors at work along side the P-factor that is so blamed for so much.
                              The four factors influencing the left turning tendencies are: torque, p-factor, gyroscopic precession and spiraling slipstream(prop wash)
                              Here's about the easiest explanation of these four that I have ever seen without the rocket science.
                              http://www.boldmethod.com/learn-to-f...ng-tendencies/

Best regards,
                              Warbird Charlie
                              HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Originally posted by OV10 View Post

Brad,
                                Warbirds means keep the landing airspeed up. Too many are still trying to do the floaty thing.
                                A port crosswind along with too slow is enough to induce a stall without any influence from that P-factor and/or it's three other related factors.;)

Unfortunately since the majority of warbirds are tail draggers, there are three other force factors are at work along side the P-factor that is so blamed for so much.
                                The four factors influencing the left turning tendencies are: torque, p-factor, gyroscopic precession and spiraling slipstream(prop wash)
                                Here's about the easiest explanation of these four that I have ever seen without the rocket science.

Best regards,
                                Well said. Of my 21 something flights I have only used the flaps four times and I felt the plane needs to come in with air speed. At the field I fly at we have over 900 feet of grass to land on. It is like threading a needle to land on the smooth section buy worth it when it is done well. Also just to add some fun into landing we can get a pretty strong cross wind later in the season that keeps you on your toes.

Jeff

Comment

Brad,

Unfortunately since the majority of warbirds are tail draggers, there are three other force factors at work along side the P-factor that is so blamed for so much.

Best regards,
                                  It was coming from the Starboard(left) side. I normally use right rudder on takeoff but this happened too fast to react on landing. Clearly, I should have fed some right rudder in as well as more throttle in this situation. The fifth factor here would be the windvane effect. The sixth would be dumbthumbs, the most difficult to overcome. Anyway, I only mentioned this story in support of lindeman's theory about why Shocktrooper was having so much trouble with his takeoffs. Brad

Comment

Brad,

Best regards,
                                    Hi OV10, this is also my first warbird, but what is the way to land a warbird and keep the airspeed up? i thougt reducing the airspeed will descend the plane without using the elevator.

I am open to learn from experienced warbird pilots.

Comment

• Originally posted by franky View Post

Hi OV10, this is also my first warbird, but what is the way to land a warbird and keep the airspeed up? i thougt reducing the airspeed will descend the plane without using the elevator.

I am open to learn from experienced warbird pilots.
                                      Hello franky,
                                      There is a also term called Groundspeed which is different from Airspeed.
                                      Most comments you see on these forums like "landed it at walking pace" is relative to ones "perception" of groundspeed. Airspeed is what keeps the plane flying with lift.
                                      Throttle controls altitude and elevator controls speed. All planes are subject to this once the proper AOA(angle of attack) attitude is established for landing.
                                      So many novice warbird pilots so much of the time try to put that warbird down like it was a trainer and that is where the problems with stalls begin.
                                      The majority of the tail dragger warbirds want to be set down as a 2 point main gear then drop the tail as airspeed drops off.
                                      Each warbird airframe has it's own characteristics for airspeed but in general they ALL tend to have higher groundspeed speeds landing than conventional non-military.
                                      Without diverting this thread anymore I'll just say practice landing with a higher velocity than what you learned on the trainer. ;)
                                      Warbird Charlie
                                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Hello franky,
                                        There is a also term called Groundspeed which is different from Airspeed.
                                        Most comments you see on these forums like "landed it at walking pace" is relative to ones "perception" of groundspeed. Airspeed is what keeps the plane flying with lift.
                                        Throttle controls altitude and elevator controls speed. All planes are subject to this once the proper AOA(angle of attack) attitude is established for landing.
                                        So many novice warbird pilots so much of the time try to put that warbird down like it was a trainer and that is where the problems with stalls begin.
                                        The majority of the tail dragger warbirds want to be set down as a 2 point main gear then drop the tail as airspeed drops off.
                                        Each warbird airframe has it's own characteristics for airspeed but in general they ALL tend to have higher groundspeed speeds landing than conventional non-military.
                                        Without diverting this thread anymore I'll just say practice landing with a higher velocity than what you learned on the trainer. ;)
                                        Thanks a lot OV10 and AMEN !

Comment

• Watch how the big boys do it. https://youtu.be/K2Vq-oOG-SM

Comment

Working...
                                          X