Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah Evan, read his first post #2988 he just said “The battery of my Spitfire caught fire.....” and his last post he says “BEC” so that is why I’m looking for clarification.

Comment

• Hello,

Apologies if my post wasn't clear.

It isn't easy for me to determine what exactly was the cause of the incident. What is clear is that the BEC battery, which was not the ESC battery, blew up (litteraly) after landing on my first flight of the day. The battery was almost brand new and had been charged several times but no more.

Back home I did some tests and the dedicated BEC is non responsive. The main ESC and battery are fine. The insulation burnt away so I had to redo it though.

It is difficult to make a determination on why the BEC is non responsive, did it short out and make the battery blow up? Or was is damaged in the fire created by the BEC battery?

My initial thinking was that the battery had a defect and shorted itself out but the guys at the field that were there when it blew don't think so. The battery had several flights in it, it wasn't old but not brand new either (so defect would appear straight away or it would die due to old age). The majority was leaning more to the death (and short circuit) of the dedicated BEC I installed.

a++ Cédric

Comment

• Hi Cedric. Wonder why you put an external BEC instead of the stock one. Did you have a specific reason ?

I have had 2 FL 1600 mm Spities and never experienced any problem with the BEC/ESC provided with. The sole think I decided to replace is the elevator servo since my first Spit crashed on her 217th flight due to an elevator servo failure (a plastic gear of the so called hybrid servo worn out and stripped) but I must say I fly with a lot of aerobatics and sudden maneuvers. IMAO you could rely on the ESC/BEC stock with confidence.

Comment

• I've never had a failure of a stock ESC/BEC in a Freewing or Flightline plane, and I have a bunch of them.

Adding extra components just adds additional potential sources of failure.

Comment

• This a million times!!!

Originally posted by kallend View Post
            I've never had a failure of a stock ESC/BEC in a Freewing or Flightline plane, and I have a bunch of them.

Adding extra components just adds additional potential sources of failure.

Beeg, sorry, I missed his first post.

Most issues now are not component failures but failures we cause ourselves, poor soldering, not using the right wire (I see too many using speaker wire!), not covering the solder splice points properly (heat shrink is best but use something), or simply not using components up to the task such as the expected current flow.

Comment

• Hello,

To be honest, it is my first Freewing plane and some people at the field said that the BEC that comes with it is not reliable and recommended I put a standalone BEC in. To be honest, in all my other large planes, the ESC doesn't have a BEC, it's only my smaller ones that have a combo ESC - BEC. This Spit is my first 1m40+ plane that has a BEC & ESC together.

I'm an electronics engineer, so whilst I may be prone to human error, and my wife will most certainly opine on my numerous errors going back to our first date, I've been soldering PCB since I was a teenager and I'm getting to a point where I don't want to mention my age ... 🤣🤣🤣

I took her to the field this morning and flew her using the BEC from the ESC without noticeable issues. I had to reinsulate the wires, the ESC and the 6S battery after the fire of course.

I didn't have time to thoroughly test the plane because, due to pilote error, I stalled the plane a bit too early whilst landing and have to glue back one landing gear now. I will return tomorrow morning.

Thanks for your responses, much appreciated, I will leave the plane without an additional BEC seeing the lack of issues here, I prefer flying over tinkering anyway.

Regards,

Cédric

Comment

• Great that she flew again.

There are some manufacturers where I think some components are questionable, for instance the older ESCs that came in FMS and EFlite planes, also many older ESCs had linear BECs in them that would over heat when used in higher cell count applications. Bottom line is that the Flightline and FreeWing Hobby Wing ESCs are pretty reliable.

Cheers!

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                  Great that she flew again.

There are some manufacturers where I think some components are questionable, for instance the older ESCs that came in FMS and EFlite planes, also many older ESCs had linear BECs in them that would over heat when used in higher cell count applications. Bottom line is that the Flightline and FreeWing Hobby Wing ESCs are pretty reliable.

Cheers!
                  True that!

I had a Detrum (Dynam) that caught fire and another that went off with a loud "pop", both before takeoff. Had an older (red label) FMS Predator that caught fire in the air.

I pretty much only use Hobbywing now.

Comment

• The stock ESC is a rebadged hobbywing, one of the proven reliable brand out there. Those who advised you it was not reliable do not know very well what they are talking about. Next time, ask them why and the rationale of their recommandations :)

Comment

• Evan D No problem..

Comment

• Hello, Just joined the forum as well as flying RC's. I bought an Apprentice STS a month ago and have some good flights in...haven't kissed the dirt yet but that is sure to happen. I have been looking at the Spitfire 1600mm for quite sometime (few years) and this plane is what spurred me into the hobby. My father flew RC's back in the 70's when I was a young lad and I have always been very interested in the hobby. Question - I have seen the Spitfire 1600mm going out of stock all over and I'm sweating bullets that it may be going out of production. Can anyone confirm this is the case? Hopefully this is just because of the times we are living in and not that it has been discontinued. Thanks for any feed back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Weav View Post
                          Hello, Just joined the forum as well as flying RC's. I bought an Apprentice STS a month ago and have some good flights in...haven't kissed the dirt yet but that is sure to happen. I have been looking at the Spitfire 1600mm for quite sometime (few years) and this plane is what spurred me into the hobby. My father flew RC's back in the 70's when I was a young lad and I have always been very interested in the hobby. Question - I have seen the Spitfire 1600mm going out of stock all over and I'm sweating bullets that it may be going out of production. Can anyone confirm this is the case? Hopefully this is just because of the times we are living in and not that it has been discontinued. Thanks for any feed back.
                          WV. Welcome to "the Squawk". glad to have you onboard. No worries, the 1600mm Spitfire is NOT discontinued. Motion RC is very good at telling us what is "Out Of Stock" and what is discontinued. Might I suggest you simply go back to their website and enter your email address into the "Notify Me When Back In Stock". You will receive an email when the Spittie is back. Also, it does not hurt to check in, but the Spitfire is still in production. Best, LB
                          I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                          ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                          ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks for the response Elbee! and the good news that it is still out there. I will follow your advice and ask for the notification. All the best WV

Comment

• Hi all, I just got one of these and I'm completely stumped ... how do i get the dry transfer decals on?

You have all obviously done it and I can't see any tutorials on it with respect to foam planes so I'm clearly being utterly and completely dumb.

Can somebody please save me from my own stupidity!?

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp

Andy

Comment

• Lift them off the sheet with the clear overlay. Place them in the spot you want them and then the fun starts. I peel back the overlay while holding down the decal with a hobby knife, work slow and alcohol helps :)

Comment

• Evan D Thanks for this, it worked. A club mate also suggested a warm film iron which also worked really well.

They really need to offer some kind of guidance in the manual, I’ve never used (or to this point heard of) dry transfer decals before.

Thanks again

Andy

Comment

• Awesome!!

Comment

• Evan D that’s 2 I owe you 😂

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan D View Post
                                        Lift them off the sheet with the clear overlay. Place them in the spot you want them and then the fun starts. I peel back the overlay while holding down the decal with a hobby knife, work slow and alcohol helps :)
                                        Beer, wine, or spirits?

Comment

• That's what I was wondering. Did he mean the topical or the drinking kind? Liquid courage, liquid patience, maybe not liquid precision though.

Comment

Working...
                                          X