Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official FlightLine RC 1600mm Spitfire Mk. IX Thread

You asked, and we answered!

Motion RC is proud to announce the first in a new series of FlightLineRC 1600mm single engine warbirds, a Spitfire Mk.IX! Our smaller 1200mm Spitfire surprised us by being the most requested single engine aircraft from our FlightLineRC lineup that we've been asked by customers over the past year to size up. But far more than a simply sized up 1200mm Spitfire, our all new 1600mm Spitfire was redesigned from the ground up to feature more scale elements that are appropriate for this new class size of aircraft. Offering the "big plane" presence of the 1700mm class but at the lower price point and easier transportability of the 1400mm class, we have high hopes for FlightLineRC's 1600mm Single Engine Series. There are more to come, but for now, let's take a closer look at the FlightLineRC 1600mm Spitfire Mk. IX, with most of these features being unique to this 1600mm version...

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U8ORvfoZp0

Scale Fidelity:
    * 92% Scale Outline, 94% Scale Contours
    * Scale suspension struts, pre-installed on all PNP aircraft
    * Scale four spoke wheel, plastic, with brass axle shaft
    * Scale four panel split flaps, plastic, with ribbing detail
    * Scale canopy contours
    * Cockpit floor and wall area is designed to accommodate a near-full depth cockpit tub, for you customizers/detailers out there
    * Big 16" Prop
    * LED wingtip lights
    * Pre-installed dorsal signal light. Can be plugged into the circuit board to flash intermittently, but because the real Spitfire only used this light to flash Morse Code to communicate, I hope someone out there programs an Arduino to flash an actual Morse Code message, like "Cleared in Hot" or "I love pizza"

Durability:
    * Soft tires, slightly oversized, for operation on rough surfaces
    * Grass capable landing gear with thick steel pin and metal trunion
    * Digital Metal Gear servos on all control surfaces
    * Brass Ball Links on all control surfaces
    * Nylon hinges on all control surfaces
    * Plastic cowl
    * Machine Screw Inserts molded into the spinner backplate for easy adjustment of the blades' tracking while mounted on the motor
    * COOL: Plywood ribs and carbon spars sandwiched in a hollow chambered wing. Strong, light, rigid.

Transportability and Usability:
    * Removable Wings (Wing halves are screwed together, then screwed to fuselage)
    * Removable Cannon Barrels
    * Removable Antenna Mast
    * Removable chin scoop (the part most prone to frontal wear)
    * Quick Disconnect Circuit Board
    * Access holes to adjust Elevator/Rudder linkages without removing the wing
    * Gyro ready plywood area near CG
    * Two decal sets included:
    -- MA621 DV-A, Squadron Leader Tony Gaze, 129 Squadron, 1943
    -- BS393 GW-Z for Lt. Michel Boudier, 340 Squadron, 1942
    * Additional sets made available by Callie Graphics, including George Beurling, Pierre Clostermann, etc.

Performance:
    * 6s 4000-5000 battery
    * 8-10 minutes of flight, even with heavy throttle usage
    * Trainer-like handling and stability in the air (although still recommended for intermediate+ pilots due to the narrow gear stance)
    * Accepts violent banking input at slow speed without a snap, very docile!
    * Difficult to master an 8 point roll with that small rudder, consider it a challenge
    * Scale Plus Presentation: not overly fast yet not slow
    * Near unlimited vertical
    * Can fly 5+ consecutive tight loops without losing steam (if you don't mind a puking pilot)

When When When How Much How Much How Much:
    * Slated for production in late February, ETA is early April time frame
    * Projected price is $329-$339. That's not a typo! :)

Notes:
    All these photos are of the color test sample that I personally prepared for the factory. The Production version will have the complete markings/warnings/etc not shown here. Look out for Mike and Ryan's official video next month! We plan to due a very mild satin sheen. Unless people really want a matte finish?

Thanks to Pilot Evelyn for giving us a sense of scale with the FlightLineRC 1600mm Spitfire Mk.IX
    Attached Files
    Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Reserved for pictures
    Attached Files

Comment

Grass capable retracts and tall wheels to soak up your runway!
      Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC07219.JPG Views:	2 Size:	498.4 KB ID:	58134

Comment

Reserved for Video

Comment

I'm not good at adding photos.. here are some size comparison shots of the all new FlightLineRC 1600mm Spitfire Mk.IX next to a Freewing 70mm F-16, Freewing 80mm F-86, and Freewing 80mm MiG-21

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	625.2 KB ID:	58136
          Notice the size difference to the 1200mm class (F8F-1 Bearcat, Spitfire, Sea Fury)

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	583.7 KB ID:	58137
          Scale dihedral
          Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	188.0 KB ID:	58138
          Gotta love that elliptical wing
          Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	58.7 KB ID:	58139

Comment

Take my money....can we pre-order?

Comment

Hi Wesnc, welcome to Hobbysquawk! I've been tied up in other projects recently, so you may have been here already for the past month, but welcome nonetheless. We do plan to offer this aircraft on a pre-order, but only after the first shipment has departed or is near departure. With Chinese New Year beginning this week, we're very cautious about opening pre-orders prematurely.

Tony and Evelyn and some of other friends at the field were on hand today when I brought the model out. Thanks to them as always for helping me capture this elliptical wonder in the air, and thanks to Steve and the others for keeping the secret so I could post here without leaks.

Comment

Uber friendly transport... Prius and Civics, unite!

Comment

That looks awesome! I have the E-Flight 1.2m and really enjoy how it flies but that is just downright impressive. Love the bigger size.

Comment

Great Work Alpha, Thanks for the amazing products and warm welcome!!! I have just ordered my Grey Nurse Callie Graphics & my corolla can't wait to transport it :)

PS..........what other products......;)

Comment

Wow that's beautiful and the wing looks huge compared to her.

Comment

Fantastic!!!

Comment

The wing is big, alright. We didn't want it to be too thick, but we didn't want it to be weak, either. Attached is a photo of the inside of a Freewing 80mm A-10 wing, which is a similar layout to what we're doing with the inside of the Spitfire's wing.

Historical Fun Fact: Certain Spitfires in WWII did incorporate a bulged fairing on the top of the wing, and a bulged main gear door on the bottom, to accommodate a more pilot-friendly gear stance. See, models aren't the only ones! Technically speaking, this was to adjust to the new wheel alignment which was more "straight forward" (paved/manicured field) later in the war and less "toe in" (grass/rough field) early in the war. We didn't depict the bulged upper wing fairing, since I think it looks strange, and because we were able to strike a good balance for wheel tracking, undercarriage geometry, strut thickness, and fitting it all in that wing without compromising strength.

Comment

Great looking plane!!! My penny jar is ready for the 80mm A-10....BUT NOW!!! DANG...(Birthday money in Feb, think I'll be ok) :)
                            Lon

EFlite F-16 80mm, EFite DRACO, EFlite Night Radian, E-Flite P51 1.5m
                            Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, Avanti. FMS DHC-2 Beaver, Fliteline P-38L ,HSD HME-262, HSD F86.

Comment

Why do you people keep doing this to me?! Dang that's beautiful!

Comment

Alpha........The world has been screaming for a LARGER Spitty and you&FL were listening.
                                You guys just keep knockin the other contender around in this RC cage fight and that's why FlightLine IS the NEW BIG DOG on the street.
                                Still patiently waiting for that Bronco my man. ;)
                                Warbird Charlie
                                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Don't know if I missed it but would be great is it came out of the box clean ( No markings) so we can easily do custom markings or schemes. You're going to force me to buy that enclosed trailer aren't you.....
                                  Is that Evelyns new baby? Is she ready to retire her Bearcat? :shy:

Comment

This is a SWEET flying Spitfire! Thanks Alpha for the test drives and great to see you back home for a few weeks. Now...get some sleep! ;)

Comment

looks nice
                                      Brandon Moon

Comment

You gotta come fly with us, Brandon! Or maybe I'll see if Vic would mind taking this one (and others) up to Arizona Electric Festival. Are you and the locals there planning on going?

Comment

Working...
                                        X