X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Official FMS 1700mm F4U Corsair V2 Thread

Motion RC is pleased to announce the release of the FMS 1700mm F4U Corsair V2. This is the official message thread to post photos, videos, flight reviews and any questions about this iconic aircraft.
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Hello: I'm new to this forum and although I have many years in the hobby. I have a new smaller house which means I have no real workshop area. That means I'm an ARF guy now. I fooled around with 90 mm EDF's for a couple of years and am now considering the big foamie Corsair. There is information out there about failing motor mounts in these bigger warbirds. Has there been an upgrade to the planes to improve on this part of the design that appeared to be marginal at best. Our Canadian buck is in the dumpster right now, so, I might wait until I am visiting family in Florida to save on the shipping expense.
    Best Regards to all you R/C folks.
    Bob :)

Comment

RE: 1700 mm F4U

Originally posted by Bob Byrnes
      Hello: I'm new to this forum and although I have many years in the hobby. I have a new smaller house which means I have no real workshop area. That means I'm an ARF guy now. I fooled around with 90 mm EDF's for a couple of years and am now considering the big foamie Corsair. There is information out there about failing motor mounts in these bigger warbirds. Has there been an upgrade to the planes to improve on this part of the design that appeared to be marginal at best. Our Canadian buck is in the dumpster right now, so, I might wait until I am visiting family in Florida to save on the shipping expense.
      [hr]
      Just read the L-O-N-G thread over on RC Groups and there is an upgrade metal plate that is now to be included that is considered the fix for this problem. Good to know.

Comment

Thanks for the info Bob and WELCOME to the forum!
        From one ex Canuck to another.
        I used to live in the Lower Mainland in BC, where are you?

Grossman56
        Team Gross!

Comment

Yes there is an upgraded metal plate for any new releases from the factory. I've had my current one since last December and knock on wood, I've had no problems with the motor mount.
          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Aros
            Yes there is an upgraded metal plate for any new releases from the factory.  I've had my current one since last December and knock on wood, I've had no problems with the motor mount.
            Does your current stock include the new plate? If not, do you know when the new plate will be available as a replacement part?

Bill M.

Comment

Not sure on that. I'll check tomorrow for you...
              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Yes, all our current inventory has the new motor mount
                Attached Files
                My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Byrnes
                    Hey Bob, looking for a 1700mm F4U Corsair, depending on where you are, there are a couple of avenues you can go. I bought one from KMP out of Thunder Bay, but had to wait over a month because this guy didn't have in stock, he ordered from Diamond Hobby(his warehouse), went to Hong Kong, then got sick...etc, etc..He doesn't carry any parts. Just seemed to have an excuse for everything I asked him. There's a hobby store in Edmonton, AB. Hobby Alley West, he has access to FMS from a Canadian importer, prices are reasonable too, he doesn't carry any parts either, but can get them. Guy's name is Wayne, he's there monday-friday. I ordered the FMS 1700mm P51 from him the other day, told him I wasn't in a rush for it but I figure I'll see it in a week. Oh, the Corsair I got from KMP had the new motor mount in it, but make sure you check the screws.....mine were loose.

Good luck.

Comment

I have had the 1700mm corsair for a year now. Of the 3 1700mm FMS offers, it is my favorite. That being said, i am weary of the motor board becaus i love this plane so much. When I originally bought the plane, i made sure those screws were tight. I was doing my "annual" and I just pulled mine apart to inspect it prior to the flying season. No discoloration of any kind to indicate a pending failure but the 4 long screws needed about a 1/4 turn. It all seems good though.

Comment

I've had my most recent 1700 Corsair (yes I have had more than one, don't judge, lol) since December 2013 and have had no issues at all with the motor board or otherwise. Many happy flights. That's not to discount those who haven't had such luck but I can only speak for my own experience with this bird.
                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

So, I ran into a problem.... I saw that mrc had the upgraded motor board (large metal bracket). I saw directions on how to install the new metal board over existing plastic firewall... So I ordered it and in true mrc fashion, i had it in 2 days. Well I removed the old motor mount ( the X shaped one).. i then went to remove the 4 long screws. 3 of them came out. One just spun. I finally got it out. But now only have 3 screws holding it in. If I tighten the 3 remaining screws it shifts the motor all squirrely. Any suggestions? My first thought is drill 4 holes in new motor mount to match the X shaped mount, then use those 4 screws with the outer 3 out of 4... Probably clear as Mud...

Comment

apmech1, it sounds like the threads are stripped. I think the easiest thing to do is to use a screw which is very slightly larger in diameter. Ideally a self tapping screw. You could use a machine screw if you have a tap and die set so you can re-tap the threads for the larger diameter screw.

Comment

I also want to mention our current inventory of 1700mm Corsair and 1700mm P-47 have the new upgraded firewalls (motor board) AND motor mount. There were not any issues with the 1700mm P-51D so the FMS factory has not done any upgrade to that plane.

Interestingly, the issue was never really the motor mount or firewall. The issue was a poor quality glue used to mount the magnets into the motor. In 3 cases ALL the magnets came loose on a 1700mm Corsair which caused massive wobble in the motor and thus caused the firewall to crack and the mount to fail. Again, there were only 3 cases which is a tiny percentage. This happened in early August. While we were diagnosing the problem, FMS upgraded the motor mount and firewall. When we told them the issue was actually the magnets coming loose in the motor, they traced the problem back to a new brand of glue used in the motor factory. They immediately changed brands of glue. We sold this plane for 2 years without issue so anyone with the old mount and firewall is likely safe. If you want to upgrade the mount, we have directions in the support tab for the new mount showing how to do this.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I figured it out. In the back of the motor mount there are white inserts with threaded medal inside of them. During the unscrewing process the white inserts got pushed out of the back of the mount. All i needed to do was slowly thread the longer screw in (with out the motor mount) to get it to engage the treads of the whit inserts. Then pull on the screws to re-seat the white inserts. Once that was done i removed the screws and installed the motor mount. Everything is snug. Note: i noticed if you torque down the upper mount to board (long) screws (this applies to older motor board only) too much it will cause the new mount to bend and cause your motor to sit with a positive down thrust. I backed out the top 2 screws 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn and they are still tight and no more up thrust. The only other solution is to put stand offs behind the upper 2 mount to board screws. Or replace the motor board with the new style..

Comment

Thanks for the update. I like the idea of using standoffs though FMS says it is ok without. Of course the ideal is to use the new motor board BUT that requires cutting the fuse in half along the seam and gluing it back together (not fun)

Comment

I just got done testing the power system of my corsair. It is showing 5873 RPM. 78.4 Amps. 1741 Watts. Just over 13lbs of static thrust (measured with fishing scale).Plane weighs in @ 13lbs 4.5 ozs. Stock motor, stock Esc (with default settings) stock unmodified prop. Battery 6s 5000mah 30-40C turnigy. All in all pretty happy with these numbers. I used a watt-meter and compared those numbers with my e-fuel gauge telemetry and they were spot on with each other. I love the Futaba telemetry logging. I'm a data and numbers guy.

Comment

Originally posted by apmech1
                                      I'm  a data and numbers guy.
                                      It shows! LOL!!  :D
                                      Lauren

Comment

Anyone still enjoying the heck out of this model? Loved scaling mine out...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20121108_134042.jpg
Views:	1185
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	66456
                                        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                        X