X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PikeStaff View Post
    Quickie update. Ran the stock 5060-300kv on 6s Nano-Tech 25/50C 6000mA this morning, with 18.6” 4 blade Vario Prop set at 12” pitch.

81.8 peak amps, 1896 peak watts.

Will test the modified FMS 4 blade with a Leopard 6362-350kv, same battery, on a separate stand....yet to be assembled.
    Hi PikeStaff, following you here too! *LOL*

Where did you purchase your Vario Prop from?

Comment

Hiya, Mr. C - seems we all run the same paths. All good, the only way to finding others experiences and good info.

Anyway - got the Vario from its’ source; http://www.ramoser.de/home_e/variopr...rioprop_e.html

Be aware they are not a cheap addition - by the time you get done with hub, blades, adapters, shipping, etc., you’re going to be in the $130 range. Which, indisputably, is gigantic money for a prop. Of course, it is rebuildable if you break a blade, and it can be used on just about any plane you have....provided that, size-wise, the hub isn’t too big or too small. And it offers a very large range of pitch adjustment, reaching into pitches you just cannot find in conventional offerings. That can be very helpful, especially with some bigger electric-powered stuff.

As we talked about in other places, the addition of the second thru-bolt in the stock prop has - so far - worked very well. A bit over 30 flights, several teardowns looking for troubles, even a couple prop strikes from landing gear issues have not given rise to any failures. And, hopefully, will not. Will keep flying this modded prop as long as possible. Time will tell.

Comment

Was about to pull the trigger on one of these birds but man after reading the info here and on RCG I am wondering if that would be a wise decision. I own several FMS warbirds and have had fairly good experiences with them but I never owned one this size. The one I am considering is a V2 ... not sure what that really means, have the bugs been addressed i.e., prop / sequencer etc? I can get it for a little over 3 bills ... but is it worth it?
        Thanks for your input.

Comment

The V2 addressed some issues, primarily an upgraded prop/hub assembly. She's a sweet flyer but could use some extra horses under the hood. But if you are more of a scale flyer with warbirds, it's not an issue. Only those who like to leave smoke and flames behind a low WOT pass would want to upgrade the power system/prop. If I recall the V2 gear is much better than V1 as well. Overall for 3 bills you get a nice size Corsair with great presence in the sky.
          My YouTube RC videos:
          https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Comment

And for that kind of money, a plane that flies very well on the power it has. No rocket ship but will do nice big loops from level flight no trouble. And honestly, the speed is likely far more to scale than the grumblers would ever admit. Take Aros’ word to the bank, it is worth it.

Comment

Hi all, great info. I am new to the site and searched for information about the FMS 4 blade prop system for the 1700mm P-51. I converted a Topflight Gold edition P39 to electric and choose the FMS powerplant/prop/esc/battery etc as it was the closest match to my weight and I really wanted a scale 4 blade look. I have performed some ground tests and there seems to be no vibration throughout the rpm range. I have read about the Corsair props having issues but is anyone aware of any issues with the Mustang setup or if you can direct me to another forum that would be great. Keep them flying!

Comment

Reviving an old thread. I know that Motion no longer carry this product but .................................................
                FMS has announced the re-release of this 1700mm Corsair in a VERSION 3. It's supposed to be available this month sometime from Horizon (and thus, most local hobby shops). It has a few improvements but nothing really dramatic except maybe the main retracts. Price is still the same at $499.00US. I love my old version 1700mm Corsair except that the retracts have always been an issue. They either break easily or they aren't strong enough to suck up those heavy struts after take off and they can get hung up. The new retracts on the V3 are supposed be with all metal innards but from the pictures, it's hard to tell much difference. It hard to determine if they are any stronger. FMS will also release some parts along with the plane this month. I'm curious what people think about the new retracts. Can the old struts be installed on them? Do you have any information about whether or not they are any stronger in terms off moving the struts up and down? Apparently, the retracts can be purchased in pairs and they are quite reasonably priced.

PS. I also have the Flightline 1600mm Corsair and the retracts on it works flawlessly. However, I don't think they will work on the bigger, heavier FMS model.

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                  Reviving an old thread. I know that Motion no longer carry this product but .................................................
                  FMS has announced the re-release of this 1700mm Corsair in a VERSION 3. It's supposed to be available this month sometime from Horizon (and thus, most local hobby shops). It has a few improvements but nothing really dramatic except maybe the main retracts. Price is still the same at $499.00US. I love my old version 1700mm Corsair except that the retracts have always been an issue. They either break easily or they aren't strong enough to suck up those heavy struts after take off and they can get hung up. The new retracts on the V3 are supposed be with all metal innards but from the pictures, it's hard to tell much difference. It hard to determine if they are any stronger. FMS will also release some parts along with the plane this month. I'm curious what people think about the new retracts. Can the old struts be installed on them? Do you have any information about whether or not they are any stronger in terms off moving the struts up and down? Apparently, the retracts can be purchased in pairs and they are quite reasonably priced.

PS. I also have the Flightline 1600mm Corsair and the retracts on it works flawlessly. However, I don't think they will work on the bigger, heavier FMS model.
                  I agree with the new V3 version of the Corsair and the new, improved?? landing gear. I loved flying my V2 version for a long time, but it was frustrating when even a reasonable landing caused some of the thin plastic parts of the gear to break. And I really had to buy a whole new set of the gear to replace those crappy plastic parts!!

I don't know how much better the metal struts will be; I'll be looking forward to reading pilot reports on how much better they might be than the older plastic/metal ones. If so, I'm sure I'll buy a new V3 version to fly. I only tried flying scale speeds, maneuvers, etc., and even if it was a bit slow, it still looked great in the air.

Comment

What I find interesting about the new V3 is the motor. The later V2's were supposed to come with 360kv motors (can't confirm). The new V3 is coming with the old 300kv motor. I upgraded mine to the 360kv and it made a very noticeable and improved difference. I think what they did was to go back to the slower motor but went from the old 17x10x4 to 18x11x4 prop. Will see what new owners have to say about the performance.

Comment

xviper I believe your perception of the purported power system for the V3 is spot on. The drop back to the 300kV for a 18 diameter prop seems very logical and falls very much in line with acceptable power factors.

Based on the pics listed by FMS I am really skeptical of the claims of a metal retract when what is shown is a plastic case.
                      ALL retracts have a metal trunnion and worm drive, trunnion material composition is the unknown factor whether it is pot metal or a good aluminum part
                      Warbird Charlie
                      HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

OV10 I was really hoping that they would have retracts that are completely metal, like the optional ones they used to sell for a small fortune.

Here's RCInformer with an unboxing video on this V3 Corsair. Perhaps we can glean some information from it.

RCINFORMER LIVE EPISODE VII - FMS 1700mm F4U-4 CORSAIR V3 LIVE Unboxing World Premiere!Join me for the World Premiere and full Unboxing, Assembly and Setup o...

Comment

xviper
                          I skimmed thru the unbox vid that you linked of Riches …………….. not much info to glean.
                          The retracts were black frame in color which would indicate not metal framed but plastic that is unless of course they did some sort of a black oxidized aluminum which from a cost perspective I think not.
                          For the 3 hours 24 min he at least could have removed those 3 cowl screws and verified the motor kV's that he was questioning of at the beginning of the live feed.
                          Warbird Charlie
                          HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                            xviper
                            I skimmed thru the unbox vid that you linked of Riches …………….. not much info to glean.
                            The retracts were black frame in color which would indicate not metal framed but plastic that is unless of course they did some sort of a black oxidized aluminum which from a cost perspective I think not.
                            For the 3 hours 24 min he at least could have removed those 3 cowl screws and verified the motor kV's that he was questioning of at the beginning of the live feed.
                            Looking at the parts, the retracts are plastic bodied, so I'm thinking they are the same as the "old" ones. He did actually remove the cowl and showed that the motor was indeed a 300kv.

Comment

I have had 3 of those 1.7M FMS Corsairs, and they all had a special place in my heart for a myriad of reasons but outside of the obvious (retracts), the only thing that would really get my attention is a reasonable power system and prop upgrade (closer to scale like the FlightLine 1.6M) to match the airframe and size, coupled with SCALE flaps (rounded leading edges not sharp edges, YUCK).

Those two factors would get my attention.
                              My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by xviper View Post
                                Looking at the parts, the retracts are plastic bodied, so I'm thinking they are the same as the "old" ones. He did actually remove the cowl and showed that the motor was indeed a 300kv.
                                Thanx for being a bit more patient than I was with skimming thru the vid and missing that point.
                                Being that the motor is verified as the 300kV, I expect that the performance with the 18inch 4 blade is most likely gonna be okay but not where it should be like the FL version is with closer to scaleable prop as well as better speed performance.
                                This is just my humble opine which falls in support of Aros on the power system.
                                Warbird Charlie

Comment

OV10 It was a 3hr+ video - can't blame you for hopping through it. I skipped and jumped through it myself but I just happened to stop at the point where he showed the motor. I wish he spent more time talking about the retracts, with close ups. I'm looking at the parts again and I see that the V3 retracts have different hole locations. Width-wise, they are the same but the holes at the tail end are further from the other holes. IE, the holes are about inline with the rotation pin, while on the old one, those holes are in front of the pin. The flange that the holes are in are longer but curiously enough, while checking out the retracts on my old V2, I noticed that the retract mounting base has pre-drilled holes where the new retracts would need to be screwed in, making them more or less a drop in. This makes me think that FMS had planned something like the new V3 retracts but didn't go through with it for some reason.
                                  I got a set of brand new replacement retracts for my V2 a couple months ago. One I put into the plane and it was very weak. When flying, the weight of the strut/wheel was enough to make the retract stall when pulling them back in. The other one I tested on the table and applying just a little bit of pressure on the trunion pin, the retract stalled in both directions. They are simply not strong enough to move the weight of the mechanism. It seems they are limited by resistance and not by open and close limits like most other retracts. I may get the V3 retracts to see if they are any stronger. They are quite a bit cheaper than the V2 ones.
                                  I also took a look at my ESC. I put in a bit larger one (85A vs 80A) when I installed the 360kv motor. With that, the plane flies very similarly to the Flightline Corsair (with the FMS V2 4-blade prop) in spite of it being somewhat bigger and much heavier. I may give the V3 prop a try on the FMS V2 once they come into stock.
                                  The improvements on the V3 is not enough for me to abandon my V2.

Comment

I've got my V3 on order... I'm going to do a conversion to make it a F2G - Super Corsair. With that being said I'd like to get a little more power under the cowl. Does anyone have thoughts on a motor besides the fms 360kv? I was wondering about a RimFire 1.20 maybe. If anyone has thoughts let me know.

Comment

Once I saw that it had the scale rounded leading edge flaps and closer to scale size prop I was sold. Gonna be a while, maybe next Summer. I hope whomever gets one creates a new V3 thread and I will be keeping any eye out for the usual vids, pics, tips and tricks and mods.
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

I'll start a new thread when mine comes in. I'll post up some unboxing pictures to kick it off.

Comment

• Excellent!
                                          My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Working...
                                          X