X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ICM View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but I just got an FMS P51D Big Beautiful Doll from an estate sale. No Manual or rx. Don't know which version, but likely not v8 checking against the online v8 manual. Guessing v7 but can't find earlier version manuals online. For purposes of version id, it has a gold and black 540 motor, slide-in battery tray, and just rear of the battery tray a green multi-function board screwed to a piece of wood with what looks like a sequencer partially visible under the board. Also, the interlocking tail assembly is secured to the fuse in the rear by a single screw from the bottom of the fuse going through the horizontal and vertical stabs, and in the front by 2 small plastic dowels fit into matching holes in the fuse. Any help on which version this is would be appreciated.

More importantly, I'm not sure how to connect the wiring. I plan to use a 6ch Spektrum or compatible rx. Coming from the green multi-function board are 3 wire leads with connectors marked Ail, Ele, Rud, Flaps. 3 wire leads marked Thro and Gear come from the esc and sequencer respectively. I assume these connect to rx normally- Thro 1, Ail 2, Ele 3, Rud 4, Gear 5, Flaps 6. However, also coming from the middle of the green multi-function board are two 6 wire leads connected to two relatively large black plastic male connectors, each with five 3 wire pins. These obviously connect to the wiring from the wings, but there is no marking indicating what goes to which pin. The wings have eight 3 wire leads with female connectors- 2 marked Ch5C, 2 marked Ch5B, 2 marked Ch1Ail, 2 marked Ch6Flaps. There are also two unmarked 2 wire leads with female connectors (lights?). No idea which set of wing wires get plugged into which set of pins in the black plastic connectors coming from the green multi-function board. Sorry if this is lengthy but I tried to be as descriptive as possible. Can anyone help or provide a diagram? Many thanks in advance.
    Yes, Black & red (Two) wires are lights. There should be an indication of which one is the polarity side. Also, if they are labelled (Aileron) Channel 2. (gear) channel 5. ETC. Respectively. You may have to test fit those connections. Being that the Red positive is always in the middle, you should be fine for testing purposes. Hard to tell without seeing a visual. Best I can come up with at this time.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by starcop View Post

Yes, Black & red (Two) wires are lights. There should be an indication of which one is the polarity side. Also, if they are labelled (Aileron) Channel 2. (gear) channel 5. ETC. Respectively. You may have to test fit those connections. Being that the Red positive is always in the middle, you should be fine for testing purposes. Hard to tell without seeing a visual. Best I can come up with at this time.

Comment

• Attached are photos of wing wiring and fuse wiring. Click to enlarge. May help in answering my post #1340 above.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by ICM View Post
            Not sure if this is the right thread, but I just got an FMS P51D Big Beautiful Doll from an estate sale. No Manual or rx. Don't know which version, but likely not v8 checking against the online v8 manual. Guessing v7 but can't find earlier version manuals online. For purposes of version id, it has a gold and black 540 motor, slide-in battery tray, and just rear of the battery tray a green multi-function board screwed to a piece of wood with what looks like a sequencer partially visible under the board. Also, the interlocking tail assembly is secured to the fuse in the rear by a single screw from the bottom of the fuse going through the horizontal and vertical stabs, and in the front by 2 small plastic dowels fit into matching holes in the fuse. Any help on which version this is would be appreciated.

More importantly, I'm not sure how to connect the wiring. I plan to use a 6ch Spektrum or compatible rx. Coming from the green multi-function board are 3 wire leads with connectors marked Ail, Ele, Rud, Flaps. 3 wire leads marked Thro and Gear come from the esc and sequencer respectively. I assume these connect to rx normally- Thro 1, Ail 2, Ele 3, Rud 4, Gear 5, Flaps 6. However, also coming from the middle of the green multi-function board are two 6 wire leads connected to two relatively large black plastic male connectors, each with five 3 wire pins. These obviously connect to the wiring from the wings, but there is no marking indicating what goes to which pin. The wings have eight 3 wire leads with female connectors- 2 marked Ch5C, 2 marked Ch5B, 2 marked Ch1Ail, 2 marked Ch6Flaps. There are also two unmarked 2 wire leads with female connectors (lights?). No idea which set of wing wires get plugged into which set of pins in the black plastic connectors coming from the green multi-function board. Sorry if this is lengthy but I tried to be as descriptive as possible. Can anyone help or provide a diagram? Many thanks in advance.
            Sometimes, a little digging around can resolve your problems for you. In this case, a bit of digging revealed an online manual for your plane:
            https://www.horizonhobby.com/on/dema...PRT_Manual.pdf
            Page 11 tells you everything you need to know. You are dealing with FMS's "Multi Connector System":
            https://www.horizonhobby.com/product...FMMCON001.html
            These days, you can find almost anything on the internet if you only know where to look.

Comment

• Thanks XVIPER. I did search for Version 8 manual but found wiring instructions were different. Guess they made revisions and updated the manual. Didn't realize there was an older version 8. Thanks again.

Comment

• Here's my almost 6 years old P-51D Marie, the version is a 7.5.

I'm using this plane to learn to fly inverted. It has a Sense Hobby soundcard installed and I did the zip-tie mod onto the 580kv motor/prop.

Enjoy the short vid

https://www.youtube.com/icarusthe2nd

Comment

• I see it has been a while since anyone posted here, which I suppose is to be expected since Motion is no longer the importer for FMS planes.

However, I still have and fly two FMS 1400 Mustangs that I picked up from Motion, back in the "good ol days."

My P-51 B is now in need of a main gear retract unit and, I know you won't believe this, Horizon doesn't list it as a spare part. EDIT Unless I order a complete main set with both retract units and both gear.

So I figured I'd check to see if anyone here is still flying an FMS Mustang and can recommend a reliable drop in replacement, perhaps from Flightline, Freewing or other manufacturer?

Thanks for any help

Jim

Comment

• I've gotten non-listed parts( antenna for J3 Cub) direct from FMS by emailing support@fmsmodel.com. Arrived in 2 1/2 weeks from China and shipping cost was very reasonable.

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                      I see it has been a while since anyone posted here, which I suppose is to be expected since Motion is no longer the importer for FMS planes.

However, I still have and fly two FMS 1400 Mustangs that I picked up from Motion, back in the "good ol days."

My P-51 B is now in need of a main gear retract unit and, I know you won't believe this, Horizon doesn't list it as a spare part. EDIT Unless I order a complete main set with both retract units and both gear.

So I figured I'd check to see if anyone here is still flying an FMS Mustang and can recommend a reliable drop in replacement, perhaps from Flightline, Freewing or other manufacturer?

Thanks for any help

Jim
                      Have you tried looking at RC Castle. They're out of stock on all their 1.4m Mustangs but they still have stock on some retract bodies. Maybe one of them would work for your plane.
                      https://www.rc-castle.com/index.php?...roduct_id=3820

Comment

I see it has been a while since anyone posted here, which I suppose is to be expected since Motion is no longer the importer for FMS planes.

Thanks for any help

Jim
                        Ahhhh, the good ol' days of FMS replacement parts from Motion.

WV, I still remember the FMS line of etracts very well. The 1400 V8 Stang etract was also used on the 1500 P-47.
                        Here's the Tower links for both from which you can also get a visual comparison. The P-47 is in stock

P-51 > FMS Main Gear P51D 1400mm V8 | Tower Hobbies

P]47 > FMS E-Retract: P-47 1500mm, A-10 | Tower Hobbies

Best Regards,
                        Warbird Charlie
                        HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thanks guys. Looks like Tower may be the answer at this time.

ICM, I ordered some 1400 Trojan parts directly from FMS. You are correct, they are reasonable on shipping cost. However, it took over six weeks to get my parts.

xviper, RC Castle shows the retract in stock, but they want nearly $50 to ship it.

JB

Comment

xviper, RC Castle shows the retract in stock, but they want nearly $50 to ship it.

JB
                            That's a lot. Did you pick the expensive shipping? My last small order of about $150.00 for some small items that came in a small box cost about $13.00 to ship and I got it in 10 days. Just for the heck of it, I put in a complete set of Mustang retracts (with struts and tires for mains and tail wheel) and shipping to California was $13.00 by registered air parcel (about 10 days). Mind you, the pair from Tower costs $120.00, while the complete set from RC Castle costs $70.00, so even if picked the most expensive shipping, it ends up being the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by xviper View Post
                              That's a lot. Did you pick the expensive shipping? My last small order of about $150.00 for some small items that came in a small box cost about $13.00 to ship and I got it in 10 days. Just for the heck of it, I put in a complete set of Mustang retracts (with struts and tires for mains and tail wheel) and shipping to California was $13.00 by registered air parcel (about 10 days). Mind you, the pair from Tower costs $120.00, while the complete set from RC Castle costs $70.00, so even if picked the most expensive shipping, it ends up being the same.
                              I was given two options, $47 or $51.

JB

Comment

• Something's not right with that, but no matter, you've got a source for the parts nearby.

Comment

• Motion's prices are getting up there for shipping as well, sign of the times I guess. I actually have batteries charged and ready to take BBD out to the field if the wind ever lets up.
                                  The first plane I ever bought from MRC, what 8 years ago at least?!? Still one of the greatest flying birds I own. I would have been great if MRC still had FMS, makes it a challenge to keep these birds in the air.
                                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5392.JPG
Views:	255
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	349180

Name:	IMG_1156.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	349181

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• I still have a BBD and a P-40 stored away NIB Snoots Sniper was assembled awhile ago but still awaiting radio set-up. I consider myself very lucky to have these treasures.

Comment

• I also still have the FMS 1400 Corsair and the FMS Dallas Darling P51B I bought from MRC about 8 years ago. The P51 has never been flown.

Comment

Thanks for any help

Jim
                                        If your electronics and gears are still good, smallpartscnc still have the aluminum housings. Switched mine out years ago and still going strong.

Comment

• Did the same with my retracts, those aluminum housings are worth their weight in gold. My Shangrila had another incident that put her out of action. Somehow through the months, the fuselage mounts that hold the wing on have gone missing, so until I figure a way of attaching them, she is a hangar queen. I still hold out hope that she'll see the air again one day. B's, like their real life counterparts are becoming very rare.

Name:	image_25735.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	283.6 KB
ID:	349341

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X