Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks farmflyer! I ran a 4S 2200mah with about 4 oz of weight in the nose. My maiden flight was 5 minutes with no issue.

Comment

• Here she is at the field.

Comment

• I use an Admiral 3000 4s and have 3oz weight so we are basically the same weight up front.

Comment

• Decided it was about time I got my Hellcat out for a blast this week as it's been about 10 months since I last flew it. I generally use 4s 3000 or 4000 70c lipos in her as the power setup isn't stock so she really hauls the mail-forgot just how much fun this bird is to fly-plus she looks fantastic in the air. The retracts/oleo setup isn't stock either, hence the absent gear doors etc. Deffo gotta get this bird out more often!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Finally swapped out the retracts on the Hellcat. Used the Eflites for the Corsair. Swappedcout the gear legs as the Corsairs are to short. Dropped right in and now work flawlessly. Also added a GT power sound system. Sounds ok but not great. Now I just have to get a calm day to fly it.

Comment

• Looks fantastic. Nice Scheme. Mine has the P-40 struts with Corsair retracts. Only problem is the wing is a little weak and they are starting to poke thru.
              Don't just fly--WREAK HAVOC!!!

Comment

• Hi everyone! Now that this bird is back in stock she will probably be my next warbird. I know that Dynam has the reputation of not having the best retracts. I will try and get away with the stock retracts for now but what is everyone's opinion based on their own Hellcats? And will an Admiral 4S 3000 be good enough for the correct CG? I already have two of these on hand.
                Happy flying!

Comment

• I put the Eflight Corsair retracts before it ever left the ground. I tried the stock but could only get one to work out of the box. The Eflights have never missed a beat. Make sure to trim the dummy radial between the cylinders, and make a couple of pass thru slots to allow the air to pass over the motor and out the back of the cowl, VERY IMPORTANT! This will provide the necessary cooling. Don't balance the think like a lief on the wind, it likes to be nose heavy, make sure and put some weight up there, don't be shy with the weight. Dynam definitely had no idea on the CG of this thing. As with most of my close coupled war birds it will seem nose heavy, it likes nose heavy. Make sure to use some expo in your setup, and don't get to crazy with the throws. Good Luck!

Woody

Oh yea, make sure and reinforce all the foam hinges for the control surfaces with a nice coating of Foam Tac, or Hinge tape. I prefer hinge tape. You will most likely loose a control surface in flight if you don't, guaranteed to happen. No it's not Dynam sucks! Foam hinges suck on all planes! LOL

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodcock View Post
                    I put the Eflight Corsair retracts before it ever left the ground. I tried the stock but could only get one to work out of the box. The Eflights have never missed a beat. Make sure to trim the dummy radial between the cylinders, and make a couple of pass thru slots to allow the air to pass over the motor and out the back of the cowl, VERY IMPORTANT! This will provide the necessary cooling. Don't balance the think like a lief on the wind, it likes to be nose heavy, make sure and put some weight up there, don't be shy with the weight. Dynam definitely had no idea on the CG of this thing. As with most of my close coupled war birds it will seem nose heavy, it likes nose heavy. Make sure to use some expo in your setup, and don't get to crazy with the throws. Good Luck!

Woody
                    Just to make sure I understand. You are saying that not only is it recommended to upgrade to the Eflite retracts, it is also recommended to create extra airflow to cool the motor? Man, I was super pumped that this warbird is back in stock but these extra mods are almost giving me second thoughts. She looks amazing though!
                    Happy flying!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cchrissyv1 View Post

Just to make sure I understand. You are saying that not only is it recommended to upgrade to the Eflite retracts, it is also recommended to create extra airflow to cool the motor? Man, I was super pumped that this warbird is back in stock but these extra mods are almost giving me second thoughts. She looks amazing though!
                      Give me a break would you! It's a great plane. Due your due diligence.

Woody

PS, all planes have there short comings mate. This is pretty minor stuff mate. Welcome to modeling. Sorry if I seemed short.

Comment

• It is a great plane for the price point. Not hard to do the mods. I have the stock gear in mine and they were fine until I hit a curb with one on approach. Then it didn't work so well since it was crunchy inside!! LOL Nose heavy is good for this bird and I use lots of expo on the elevator too.... :Cool:

Comment

Give me a break would you! It's a great plane. Due your due diligence.

Woody
                          Oh I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, my apologies. I was just making sure I understood. But thank you for that, it is good to know.
                          Happy flying!

Comment

Oh I wasn't trying to give you a hard time, my apologies. I was just making sure I understood. But thank you for that, it is good to know.
                            It's early mate. I'm a little cranky in the morning. My sincere apologies mate. But as Hardway implied, this is really a nice flying and looking plane. Best bang for the buck in the model industry.

Best Regards
                            Woody

Comment

It's early mate. I'm a little cranky in the morning. My sincere apologies mate. But as Hardway implied, this is really a nice flying and looking plane. Best bang for the buck in the model industry.

Best Regards
                              Woody
                              Haha no worries! I am very thankful to have people like you to provide the much needed feedback. I will definitely be adding this plane to my hangar very soon.

Happy flying!
                              Happy flying!

Comment

Haha no worries! I am very thankful to have people like you to provide the much needed feedback. I will definitely be adding this plane to my hangar very soon.

Happy flying!
                                You know I purchased all my Dynam Hellcats about 2 years ago. Rumor has it they have better retracts now. I had to change mine because I got a bad one out of the box. But I just watched 2 Dynam planes with retracts yesterday getting pretty badly abused. They kept on working I was actually impressed.

Woody

Comment

You know I purchased all my Dynam Hellcats about 2 years ago. Rumor has it they have better retracts now. I had to change mine because I got a bad one out of the box. But I just watched 2 Dynam planes with retracts yesterday getting pretty badly abused. They kept on working I was actually impressed.

Woody
                                  I have a nearly 5 yr old Dynam P-51 that has never had an issue with its retracts. Sometimes the Dynam retracts are just fine. Sometimes they are DOA. That hasn't really changed. I'd say 75% f the time they are fine until damaged by an impact bad enough to break the trunion. (even working when its cold enough to get icing on the model in flight) but when they fail, they can cause an ESC to shut down from BEC overheating.
                                  FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                                    Also almost forgot, dynam retracts are not reliable or durable, i would replace with eflite 1.2m corsair retracts. I did for this one and the dynam corsair. Much better durability and reliability.
                                    Do the Corsair retracts drop right in? Or do you need to trim the retract legs or foam for the right fit?
                                    Happy flying!

Comment

Do the Corsair retracts drop right in? Or do you need to trim the retract legs or foam for the right fit?
                                      Some trimming required :Cool:
                                      TiredIron Aviation
                                      Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• The gear is the thing I complained about the most when I first got this aircraft nearly seven years ago. Ironically, the gear remain original and everything else has since been replaced. LOL! The foam tires are nearly gone!

The vid is about 5 years ago and the livery has changed again, but I still fly this plane a couple times a month.

There are hundreds of RC aviation videos viewable here; WBRC

Comment

• Yeah minor trimming, but its worth it:Cool:

Comment

Working...
                                          X