X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Misgiuded Child View Post
    I just joined this group. was wondering how fast the Dynam hellcat v2 1270mm is
    Dynam prop driven warbirds are typically about 70 mph top speed. (stock)
    They use one of two motors, each with 2 versions (how the shaft is installed) 3S uses a 3715, 4S uses 3720 (Hellcat uses the 3720)

They start having issues if higher power is installed for more speed. The EPO foam is slick in a way similar to teflon. Glue joints WILL fail. The question is how long until it fails. Higher speed means more stress on the joint and they fail faster.

I upgraded power on the Dynam P51 and I had a lot of issues trying to keep the CF tube wing spar in the wing. I now have the strips of foam that glue in the bottom of the wing panels (glued by the factory) glued in with Gorilla white expanding poly glue, after piercing the foam many times, so the glue can expand into those piercings and pinned in place by several toothpicks.
    FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

• My package from Callie arrived this morning. Hope to maiden in the morning.

Comment

• Good luck on your maiden I’m sure you will Love the way it flys I really enjoy mine regularly.

Comment

• Good luck. I had a nice flight with mine yesterday.

Comment

• It flies great!!! Good luck!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Misgiuded Child View Post
              I just joined this group. was wondering how fast the Dynam hellcat v2 1270mm is
              Welcome to Hobby Squawk!!! Glad you are on board!!! Thank you for your service!!! Jerry

Comment

• The Hellcat is not super fast, but I think it flies well on the stock power... I use a bigger battery to get the CG a tiny bit nose heavy. Watch the gear. If they take a hit, they will break. But nice landings, and they are OK....

Comment

• I maidened my Hellcat this evening. Happy to report all went well, though it did take a bit of right aileron trim to get it flying straight and level at just over half throttle.

As others have said, it is no speed demon, but it does fly scale like, which is basically what I want in a plane.

It flies light and the landing was smooth and uneventful.

Sorry no photos, hopefully next time.

JB

Comment

• Congratulations on a successful maiden I hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Comment

• I got in a couple more flights with the Hellcat. Basically I am very pleased with the plane. I'm using 3600 Admiral batteries as far forward as they will go, and I have added 1 1/4 ounce of lead behind the cowl and the plane still seems just a bit tail heavy in flight. I hate to add any more weight.

Anyone else have to add a lot of weight to get the plane to balance, or fly like it is not tail heavy?

JB

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                        I got in a couple more flights with the Hellcat. Basically I am very pleased with the plane. I'm using 3600 Admiral batteries as far forward as they will go, and I have added 1 1/4 ounce of lead behind the cowl and the plane still seems just a bit tail heavy in flight. I hate to add any more weight.

Anyone else have to add a lot of weight to get the plane to balance, or fly like it is not tail heavy?

JB
                        Everyone I know that has a dislike of the plane can never seem to get past the balance issue here. Also virtually every single one of my flying buddies when they pick one of my D-Hellcats up, or D-Corsair up, or my LX Wildcat for that matter, (FYI the LX Wildcat fly's awesome too). They go OMG that's really nose heavy, you need to fix that, LOL. Then I insist they take is for a spin. It really opens their eyes. For those that don't know or can't get their heads around it listen carefully. All of the fore mentioned planes like some weight in the nose! YOU CANNOT BALANCE THESE PLANES LIKE A LEAF ON THE WIND! Put some weight up there, you'll become a believer, ya just have to do it. I have (3) Dynam Hellcats 2 flyers and one in the box. Same with the Dynam Corsairs. I love em. As a matter of fact I like them so much I would never even consider of getting rid of them in exchange fro say a Flightline Hellcat should they ever make them. At least until I wear the ones I have out LOL. Nothing against Flightline, but I can replace a Dynam plane for about 130 Bucks thru General Hobby. I personally would never buy a Dynam product from Motion, as they are too expensive there. That's probably why Motion is dropping the line, and I don't blame them. Besides Dynam will sell to anyone, probably not a good thing for Motion.

So don't be afraid to put some weight in the nose. You'll be glad you did.

Woody

Comment

• Thanks Woody. I may add another 1/4 to 1/2 ounce and see if that does the trick. Even with the weight I have already added it still flies light.

JB

Comment

• Anyone concerned about the "nose tipping" when taxiing, i 3d printed some 4° shims to go between the retract and the mounting point -this pushes the wheels forward just enough to make ground handling easier.
                            i wrote up earlier about my upgrades but for those who never saw it, a turnigy SK3 4240-740kv motor is a direct bolt in, no mods required. For a prop adapter use the Dynam Geebee one (fits the SK3 shaft perfect), and swap the stock dynam 13x8x3 prop for a MAS one the same size. Pop in a 65a esc and the power figures are 815w and 65A - the motor is rated 885w and 65A so 👌. If you run the stock dynam prop it will pull way too many watts and amps and potentially melt your motor mount-this is because the chord of the prop blades is too long-from memory it pulls 1300W or something crazy like that.

retract wise, FMSRE006 P40B retracts, Oleos from hk, and you will have one very nice peppy Hellcat with zero gear or motor issues. Its now the plane it should have been when Dynam released it. Heres mine in action-sorry for the poor video-my buddy isnt too good with phone-cam.

Comment

• Kia Ora, Builda, increasing the forward rake with shims is a great idea. It sounds like you've got your 'Cat sorted out nicely! Do you have any other planned modifications or customizations for it?
                              Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                Kia Ora, Builda, increasing the forward rake with shims is a great idea. It sounds like you've got your 'Cat sorted out nicely! Do you have any other planned modifications or customizations for it?
                                No, no more plans as shes sorted just fine now. Ill have to upload the STL file for the shims-its tidier than using washers plus it keeps the retracts properly clamped tight to the wings. I tried 3° shims but it wasnt enough, and i think 5° may be a but too much (the gear wont sit fully recessed in the wing im thinking) so ill leave it at 4mm.
                                Attached Files

Comment

• I'd like a copy of that STL file. Thanks for sharing the details of your upgrades. My Hellcat will be getting that this winter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Prowler901 View Post
                                    I'd like a copy of that STL file. Thanks for sharing the details of your upgrades. My Hellcat will be getting that this winter.
                                    All good, i dont mind sharing my upgrade info-i got misled by some idiots on RCG Over what motor to use and it almost set my plane on fire! So i spent a lot of time working things out properly. I seldom fly it full throttle because it doesnt need it, but she certainly gets up and goes when i do open her up. Ill measure the Oleo's too (think they are 100mm) and ill have to upload the STL (its on my workstation pc)

Comment

• Builda Thanks in advance for sharing the STL, Builda! It will help several pilots with their Hellcats, I'm sure.

What program do you use to draft your 3D parts?
                                      Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

• Originally posted by Alpha View Post
                                        Builda Thanks in advance for sharing the STL, Builda! It will help several pilots with their Hellcats, I'm sure.

What program do you use to draft your 3D parts?
                                        PTC Creo as im a design engineer

Comment

• Snow is coming in Central Europe soon, I'm ready and have changed the landing gear.
                                          I have not found a Hellcat zombie with ski on the internet.
                                          The Pacific Theater is relocated to the mountains

Comment

Working...
                                          X