X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello all!
    It has been a few months, but I was able to get about 5 flights with this wardbird. Everything went great, except one of the main landing gear does not retract anymore And of course to my luck, the retract set for the main landing gear specifically for this plane has been discontinued. Now I have yet to do any troubleshooting, but I am praying it has something to do with that silly control board. If not, it looks I am stuck with a plane that does not retract like it should and will look funny in the air. Does anyone know if there are similar retract sets out there I can use to replace if it is indeed the retract that is bad? I get it, these things happen. But come on, man! Only 5 flights in and I am already looking at a technical issue.
    Happy flying!

Comment

• they r not cheep.

Joe
      Platt: fw190d9 Dynaflite:PT-19 IMP:Macchi202 ESM:fw190 ESM:Tank, Hien Jackson:DH-2 BH:macchi200 Extr:fw190 Holman:me109F H9spit2 FL:F4u,spit 9 FW:me262 GP:us60, Stuka, cub, F4u PZ:me109, albi EF Hurri, T-28 FMS: 2x fw190, me109 Lone Star:Skat Kat RSCombat:2xfw190d9

Comment

• Try Horizon Hobby, Amain Hobby, rc castle for landing gear. But I would check to see if your control board is the problem before dipping into your wallet. Easy check, just by pass the control board with an old school Y connector by plugging the retracts straight into the receiver. I had to do it on mine for a simular issue. Now my retracts are getting full power and work like a champ
        Pacific NW Flyer  :arrow:

Comment

• Just picked up a used FMS P-40B 1400 (current model) with a Spektum AR610 RX. I now have to set it up on my DX9. I looked at the online manual which gives suggested ail/ele/rud rates for in terms of mm and says nothing about flap set up. Spektrum uses %'s for rates. I know I could fiddle with %'s and measurements to get to the recommended mm rates, but not sure if the manual's recommended rates are a good starting point.. Wondering if any Spectrum users here have suggested rates in terms of %'s, as well as flap settings. Thanks for any help.

Comment

• Originally posted by ICM View Post
            Just picked up a used FMS P-40B 1400 (current model) with a Spektum AR610 RX. I now have to set it up on my DX9. I looked at the online manual which gives suggested ail/ele/rud rates for in terms of mm and says nothing about flap set up. Spektrum uses %'s for rates. I know I could fiddle with %'s and measurements to get to the recommended mm rates, but not sure if the manual's recommended rates are a good starting point.. Wondering if any Spectrum users here have suggested rates in terms of %'s, as well as flap settings. Thanks for any help.
            Straight from my DX9 Flap System for the FMS P-40B
            …........Flap Elev
            Pos 0 100% 0%
            Pos 1 25% -5%
            Pos 2 -50% -10%
            Switch D
            Speed: 3.0.s

Rates:
            Aileron 100% with Expo 30%
            Elev 50/75/100% all with Expo 30%
            Rud 60/80/100% all with Expo 30%

Servo travel
            Ail => 80 Elev => 100 Rud => 110
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thanks OV10. Are your control rods connected to the holes in the servo arms and control horns as per the manual? The closest plane to the P-40 I fly is my E-flite AT-6 1500, so this is my first "real" warbird. When weather permits, I plan on maidening on my club grass field with a Roaring Top 4s 4000 at low rates with cg at 70-75 in order to get a feel for the plane. Sound ok to you?

Comment

Thanks OV10. Are your control rods connected to the holes in the servo arms and control horns as per the manual? Yes per the illustrations on Pg 9 The closest plane to the P-40 I fly is my E-flite AT-6 1500, so this is my first "real" warbird. When weather permits, I plan on maidening on my club grass field with a Roaring Top 4s 4000 at low rates with cg at 70-75 in order to get a feel for the plane. Sound ok to you?
                This bird does require full(high) rate Elevator to keep the tail pinned during taxi and initial T/O rollout so as not to nose over and prop strike
                Warbird Charlie
                HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Yep, she does like to try and stand on her nose. Other than that, an amazing plane with either 4s or CB's 6s mod.

Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks for the tip. I'll adjust the elevator for taxi and T/O and report on the maiden. Given snow on the ground with no relief in sight, it might be awhile. On the bright side, the skiing's been great!

Comment

• Donno why I thought I had a 4s 4000 to stick in this bird. Just checked winter storage voltage on my lipos and discovered I only have a Spektrum 4s 5000 30c which i got as a freebie with my EC1500 and a Roaring Top 4s 3300 35c. I like to fly my scale planes like the P-40B at scale speeds or a bit more, perform scale maneuvers and get 5-7 minute flight times, so the 3300 might be ok, but more likely I'll get 2 new lipos. Since I've become partial to Roaring Tops lately, considering 4s 3700 45c and 4300 35c. Sound about right?

Comment

Donno why I thought I had a 4s 4000 to stick in this bird. Just checked winter storage voltage on my lipos and discovered I only have a Spektrum 4s 5000 30c which i got as a freebie with my EC1500 and a Roaring Top 4s 3300 35c. I like to fly my scale planes like the P-40B at scale speeds or a bit more, perform scale maneuvers and get 5-7 minute flight times, so the 3300 might be ok, but more likely I'll get 2 new lipos. Since I've become partial to Roaring Tops lately, considering 4s 3700 45c and 4300 35c. Sound about right?
                        The 3700-4300 RT's are basically in the same 4S mAh range that was recommended of 3600-4000 by MRC when they carried the P-40B.
                        PS...…...FMS recommended a 3300mAh 35C
                        I wouldn't get too hung up about going over the 4000 by even as much as a 1000 to a 5000mAh battery.
                        When I did the 6S upgrade to mine I used a 4500 6S which weighed in approx. 640 grams.
                        A 4000 4S weighs 388 grams and a 5000 4S weighs 482 grams.
                        So as you can see the 5000 is only 100 grams more than the 4000 but 158 less than my 6S set up.
                        This plane handled the extra weight with no issue and maintaining the CG was no issue because it was a simple matter of sliding the battery aft in the battery tray.
                        So in summary, don't be nervous/afraid to use the Spektrum 5000
                        If you're jazzing to get some more RT "power bricks" , I would recommend the 4500 35C.
                        The 3700 is gonna be slack on flight time and the 45C rating is more than most prop jobs require.

Just remembered ...…….. because I lost all my 6S batteries in the infamous fleet reduction inferno of 2018 so I rebuilt my battery support system with 2S&3S 5000mAh batteries.
                        When I flew this bird at a warbird event this past fall I used my new battery structure of 2x3S 5000 in series.
                        Each @ 372 grams x 2 = 744 grams.
                        That P-40B didn't mind at all.
                        Happy flying
                        Warbird Charlie

Comment

• Thanks OV10. BTW, there is no RT 4s 4500 35c, only a 45c. I'll try the Spectrum 5000 and order the RT 4300 35c and/or maybe the Admiral 4000. I generally like to have at least 2 batteries for a plane.

Comment

• BTW OV10, I note you have your AIL rates at 100% High/Mid/Low but with servo travel at 80%. Not sure why. Wouldn't you get the same result by setting the Ail rates at 80%?

Comment

BTW OV10, I note you have your AIL rates at 100% High/Mid/Low but with servo travel at 80%. Not sure why. Wouldn't you get the same result by setting the Ail rates at 80%?
                              It is all about linearity of stick travel
                              Warbird Charlie

Comment

• OK, I'll bite. Please explain?

Comment

• The reverse as you inquire would essentially capture the same effect but the linearity is affected more by the expo this way, it is subtle but it is there.
                                  ps …… there is also no low/mid/high rates enabled on the AIL( switch selection is inhibited )
                                  Warbird Charlie

Comment

• So, after coming home from Nefi 2017, I ordered a new fuselage, new wings, new vertical stab and canopy hatch among other things and rebuilt my crashed P-40. The broken fuse and wings have been sitting in a box downstairs since then. A couple of days ago, just out of shear boredom, I pulled out the fuse to have a look at whether it could be repaired or not. The plane augured in at Nefi while in the infamous Nefi Triangle and basically went in nose first although I may have hit at a slightly better angle as I was pulling back on the stick at the time! At any rate, the result was that the nose was stressed and the fuse was broken on the starboard side right where the front of the hatch fits into the fuse. From the nose , back, she was in good shape, so a project was born. Epoxy took care of the break in a short time and some putty work to eliminate the stress marks took care of a lot of the damage. I've had two rolls of aluminum (read chrome) duct tape sitting around the house since before the Flite Metal days with My Little Gal II and decided to use it for this project to see if I could recreate a fuse something like this.....
                                    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9365.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	246812

Now, so far I've covered one side with the tape up to the break and it looks really good, I'm in the process of sanding and reshaping the nose now.
                                    Unfortunately, the wings are right offs as the centers were completely mangled, so they would need replacing. The horizontal stab is on my P-40 rebuild from 2017, I do have a brand new canopy/hatch, motor and ESC along with props and spinners. The servos are also in the other P-40 and by the time I bought everything in order to get her into the air, it would cost less than $50 over a new kit!
                                    Right now, the funds aren't available for a flyable bird, but I thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone had a spare set of wings or horizontal stab, used, new , whatever. Otherwise she'll be hanging from the ceiling for awhile. Which is ok as it is, for right now, just something to while away the hours and keep the creative juices flowing.
                                    I'll keep an update going with some pics of the progress as well.

Grossman56
                                    Team Gross!

Comment

• So, as of this morning, here's where she stands, did some more work after taking these and the nose is pretty well complete, a couple of small repairs before covering to complete on side. Anyway...

Name:	IMG_4867.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	247471Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4868.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	247472Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4869.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	247473Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4870.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	178.7 KB
ID:	247474Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4873.JPG
Views:	417
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	247475

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• Grossman56, Now that's an impressive rebuild. Really diggin' the 'chrome' work. Best, LB
                                        I solemnly swear to "over-celebrate" the smallest of victories.
                                        ~Lucky B*st*rd~

You'll never be good at something unless you're willing to suck at it first.
                                        ~Anonymous~

AMA#116446

Comment

• Thanks LB, it's just something to do since the wind is up!
                                          Here's the result of today's work..

Name:	IMG_4875.JPG
Views:	447
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	247485Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4876.JPG
Views:	390
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	247486Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4877.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	247487
                                          Not the easiest stuff to work with and neither is the Flite Metal, but hey, I wasn't going for show quality, more of a learning experience.
                                          Just to show what has been done so far, here's the other side that hasn't been 'chromed' yet, BTW, I am saving the kitties!!

Name:	IMG_4878.JPG
Views:	442
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	247488

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X