Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great job, I have thought of doing something like that but just wouldn't know where to start! I'm amazed at how well it turned out, it looks perfect and I love the scale detail. Now, where's Alpha with the kit??

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

• Anyone have Spektrum flap settings and elevator mix for the FMS P-40 1400?

Comment

• Originally posted by ICM View Post
        Anyone have Spektrum flap settings and elevator mix for the FMS P-40 1400?
        I do not. From what I have experienced this bird does not do any ballooning when flaps are deployed so I never thought of doing any mixing. Which makes me wonder now if I have been doing this wrong the entire time...
        Happy flying!

Comment

• Ok, but what are your flap settings?

Comment

• Originally posted by ICM View Post
            Anyone have Spektrum flap settings and elevator mix for the FMS P-40 1400?
            Hello ICM Here's my DX9 flap settings for the FMS P-40B (called out the specific version cause there was an early 1400 FMS P-40E that I still have too and it is very different from the B for those that wonder)

………...…...………….FLAP...……..ELE
            Pos 0 ( 0 degree ) 100%...…...0%
            Pos 1 (15 degree) 25%...……-5%
            Pos 2 (30 degree) -50%...…..-10%

Best regards,
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider FlightLine OV-10 FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, Pitts, 1700 F4U & F7F, FOX glider Freewing A-6, T-33, P-51 Dynam ME-262, Waco TF Giant P-47; ESM F7F-3 LX PBJ-1 EFL CZ T-28, C-150, 1500 P-51 & FW-190

Comment

• Thanks for your help Warbird . Mine is the newer B so your settings are spot on. I'll give them a shot and adjust if necessary

Comment

• Im a bit intrigued so I have to ask this question.... My only experience in electrics is with very large planes and just recently I got me a AL37 that flies beautiful, and Im using the recommended batt. I just picked up a FMS P40 from a club member that he picked it up in a garage sell, he is not into electrics but it was such a deal he grabbed it and brought to the club to sell it to whom ever wanted it. Ive always wanted a P40 so I snatched it fast for the $50.00 he paid for it. The plane is in great shape with only a few minor hangar rash that Ive already touched up. When I opened the cockpit I found a 6S 6000 mah stuffed in the fuse, I charged the battery and is in perfect condition. So my question is....this plane is designed to use a 4S pack, but can you bump it up to 6S? My large electric will fly with a 4S ,5S or 6S because I use a HV 120 Amp Castle. Do some of you guys go up that high in cells with stock motor and ESC. BTW I replaced the receiver plugged a battery and everything works perfectly. I have 1 4S 4000 mah but I also have dozens of 5S 5000 mah that fit no problem. What is you guys opinion?

Comment

• I wouldn't fly it with 6s with the stock 650kv setup! If you want to see a prop disappear very quickly (at the least) that's a good way to do it.
                  It may be that someone has replaced the stock motor as CB and I have done. We converted ours over to 6s using the stock FMS system from the P-47 Razorback
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1887.JPG
Views:	625
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	263845 which Ryan Ramsay was nice enough to sell me. Even with this system, you can lose a prop and spinner (don't ask me how I know!) So its wise to convert the prop and spinner as well.
                  On the positive side, even with the stock system, this airplane is a great performer, just check to see if it has the updated ESC (Its a Predator ESC) if so, you may want to convert it to something else as they don't have the greatest reputation.
                  My Silver 'Hardway' P-40 is running the stock 650kv and she's staying that way

Name:	IMG_4937.JPG
Views:	729
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	263846
                  Grossman56
                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                    I wouldn't fly it with 6s with the stock 650kv setup! If you want to see a prop disappear very quickly (at the least) that's a good way to do it.
                    It may be that someone has replaced the stock motor as CB and I have done. We converted ours over to 6s using the stock FMS system from the P-47 Razorback
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1887.JPG Views:	0 Size:	101.5 KB ID:	263845 which Ryan Ramsay was nice enough to sell me. Even with this system, you can lose a prop and spinner (don't ask me how I know!) So its wise to convert the prop and spinner as well.
                    On the positive side, even with the stock system, this airplane is a great performer, just check to see if it has the updated ESC (Its a Predator ESC) if so, you may want to convert it to something else as they don't have the greatest reputation.
                    My Silver 'Hardway' P-40 is running the stock 650kv and she's staying that way
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4937.JPG Views:	0 Size:	138.3 KB ID:	263846
                    Grossman56
                    Thanks for your comments and advice, I took it apart and is the stock motor and a Predator ESC, I will fly it with my 4 cell and attempt with a 5S with moderate throttle. My plan is to experiment with this one and if I like how the plane flies I will get another one and make the mods, I need a small plane I can just throw in my car without having to haul my trailer to the field, this is nice looking plane and a good size I can transport assembled.

Comment

• So for me it was a maiden, what a great flying plane is this P40 even in the wind it handled beautifully and landings are like a trainer, Im truly impressed. Only issue I have is I dint noticed at home that he tail wheel turns in the opposite direction of the rudder, I trained disconnecting it and it worked but when I connected the battery again it started doing it again so I just disconnected the wire and flew it like that no problem even taxing back in our grass runway it wasn’t that difficult. I flew on 4S and 5S 4500 mah it just flies for ever. So anyone else had a similar problem with the tail gear?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slowflight View Post
                        So for me it was a maiden, what a great flying plane is this P40 even in the wind it handled beautifully and landings are like a trainer, Im truly impressed. Only issue I have is I dint noticed at home that he tail wheel turns in the opposite direction of the rudder, I trained disconnecting it and it worked but when I connected the battery again it started doing it again so I just disconnected the wire and flew it like that no problem even taxing back in our grass runway it wasn’t that difficult. I flew on 4S and 5S 4500 mah it just flies for ever. So anyone else had a similar problem with the tail gear?
                        I remember seeing some posts on this thread a while back about guys having the same issue, unfortunately, I do not remember what their solution is. I would have to go back and search for it.

The main thing I did want to let you know about though, is that I was told on this thread that the stock Predator ESC cannot be trusted. I saw in your post that is what you currently have in your setup. A lot of guys had issues with it and suggested replacing the ESC, and that is what I recently did. I bought the Gecko 85A ESC from Motion's website.

I cannot tell yet if I have it calibrated correctly as it seems to just coast when I fly it now, but I cannot tell if it is flying any differently. I guess I should have paid more attention. But, I wanted to inform you in regards to that just so that you do not run into any issues down the road. I never did, but I replaced the ESC anyways. Rather be safe than sorry.
                        Happy flying!

Comment

• Originally posted by Cchrissyv1 View Post

I remember seeing some posts on this thread a while back about guys having the same issue, unfortunately, I do not remember what their solution is. I would have to go back and search for it.

The main thing I did want to let you know about though, is that I was told on this thread that the stock Predator ESC cannot be trusted. I saw in your post that is what you currently have in your setup. A lot of guys had issues with it and suggested replacing the ESC, and that is what I recently did. I bought the Gecko 85A ESC from Motion's website.

I cannot tell yet if I have it calibrated correctly as it seems to just coast when I fly it now, but I cannot tell if it is flying any differently. I guess I should have paid more attention. But, I wanted to inform you in regards to that just so that you do not run into any issues down the road. I never did, but I replaced the ESC anyways. Rather be safe than sorry.
                          Thanks CCH for the info, I found the post is #226 and is apparently a manufacturing defect, needs either a servo replacement or a reverser, I think I have one someplace in my junk box. Today I just disconnected it and flew with a tail wheel fixed but I increased the rudder travel, made a couple of flights like that and it was not a problem, if I dont use the elevator to keep the tail planted the rudder steers the plane, I fly out of grass field so that helps. But once again after 40+ years of flying giant scale planes Im truly impress with how well this small plane flies, is a keeper even if I have to fly it with the fix tail all the time, best $50.00 bucks Ive ever spend. as for the ESC when it goes it goes, I punished it today with a 5S and the previous owner was using a 6S and it still there, so will see.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks CCH for the info, I found the post is #226 and is apparently a manufacturing defect, needs either a servo replacement or a reverser, I think I have one someplace in my junk box. Today I just disconnected it and flew with a tail wheel fixed but I increased the rudder travel, made a couple of flights like that and it was not a problem, if I dont use the elevator to keep the tail planted the rudder steers the plane, I fly out of grass field so that helps. But once again after 40+ years of flying giant scale planes Im truly impress with how well this small plane flies, is a keeper even if I have to fly it with the fix tail all the time, best $50.00 bucks Ive ever spend. as for the ESC when it goes it goes, I punished it today with a 5S and the previous owner was using a 6S and it still there, so will see.
                            $50 for this plane is definitely a steal! I am super jealous. I really do love this warbird.

Cheers to you, mate!
                            Happy flying!

Comment

• Maidened mine yesterday on 4s 4300 35c Roaring Tops with Spektrum AR620 rx on my club grass field. Got in 3 flights. Flies great. Take offs very scale with a touch of right rudder. Tracks well, smooth and stable with plenty of power. No bad tendencies. Plane gives stall warning with slight wing waggle. Tested flaps up high using OV10's settings and ele mix (thanks OV10) and they were perfect - no ballooning. Didn't use them for landings since there was a 5-6 mph headwind. First landing not my best with 2 small bunny hops but all ok. Next 2 on mains with tail settling nicely during run out. Really likin this plane! Bought it used locally and its in perfect shape other than 2 slight tears in the sharks mouth decal which I believe is water slide. Debating trying to remove it, or painting or clear coating over it, and getting another Flightline sharks mouth or one from Callie, but not sure hers are the same dimensions.

Comment

• Hey guys, quick question, I landed my new P-40 short in semi tall grass and tore the retracts out. I was about to reglue them in and noticed there is a provision for screws but mine had no screws. Not the servo to the plastic housing but the plastic house which has the gear doors attached. Should I get screws and screw the housing in or just reglue it in or get screws and glue it in. Thanx, any help is greatly appreciated.

Comment

Read post 286, the plastic piece that the servos are attached to is installed backwards. I just reversed the elevator and ground out the starboard slot to accept the servo, then turned the servo 180 degrees. Now its the same as the first P-40 I have. It should look like this. I didn't bother moving the elevator servo as I stated, just the rudder servo. It should look like this

Name:	IMG_6614.JPG
Views:	572
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	264145 Not like this..

Name:	IMG_4903.JPG
Views:	668
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	264146
                                  Solves the problem in the few minutes it takes to grind out the slot with a Dremel tool. I emailed HH and told them about this.

Grossman56
                                  Team Gross!

Comment

• Thanks Grossman problem solved, I moved the elevator to the spot where the rudder was and just elongated the cutout and done. I must be loosing it, been building giant scales for 30yrs and drawing my own plans and I didn’t come up with this solution, only proves that there is always room to learn from others. I guess I’ve been complaisant with the use of new technology, when I started in RC there was no servo reversing switches but there were right and left servos, so solutions like this were the usual way to solve it. Thanks
                                    Attached Files

Comment

• Somewhere out there is a guy or gal installing these pieces backwards, hopefully, Horizon informed them of this and they'll correct it, in the meantime, we all get this problem

Grossman56
                                      Team Gross!

Comment

• GRossman....just received mine from HH. Has the red ESC...is that the predator you speak of? What size are the plugs on the motor? They look small...not the 4mm I was expecting. How exactly do you go about changing the ESC? Looks way too tight in there to get my fingers in.

Comment

• You may have just lucked out and got one with the old stock motor. Easy to tell because the Predator is black and says' Predator'
                                          The ESC is black with a red sticker on it that says Predator as well.
                                          Here's a couple of pictures, the green ESC is a Mantis 85A which is what I have used with all my 650 kvs thus far, the black one is the stock Predator ESC .
                                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5177.JPG Views:	0 Size:	125.1 KB ID:	276273Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5176.JPG Views:	0 Size:	122.4 KB ID:	276274

You can see that the diameter is bigger and the 4 mm is also longer. If you have the white motor, which is the original 650 kv, then it should have the 3.5 mm, so go with the Mantis if you want or just use the stock 70 A. I prefer a little more of a safety margin myself.
                                          The silver P-40 is now a winter project as, well, lets just say the maiden didn't go well, not quite sure why but she barely got off the ground and and decided to land upside down, no the ailerons were not reversed. So my plan is to strip off all the tape as it wrinkled pretty good, to the necessary repairs and fly her. If all goes well, I'll get some more flight metal and refinish it in that. Can't say I don't have anything to do this winter as I also busted the nose off the Pitts which is due to poor servos so they'll all be replaced with HiTecs.

Grossman56
                                          Team Gross!

Comment

Working...
                                          X