P-38 - The Ultimate EPO Lightning

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

downwindleg/Aros ESM 50cc F4U Corsair Build (Electric Conversion)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• downwindleg/Aros ESM 50cc F4U Corsair Build (Electric Conversion)

I am absolutely delighted about this F4U Corsair that downwindleg (Brad) has offered to sell to me at a price I simply could not refuse! I am humbled and grateful for Brad's generosity. He has already spent quite a lot of hours on the build. My buddy Chris and I are going to finish it up and I will document the progress here. Chris and I will be travelling to meet Brad at his home in the beautiful San Juan island this father's day weekend. We're going to make a co-family trip of it as the San Juan islands in the Summer is simply gorgeous. With some luck and Brad's blessing we may even get some flights in at his personal flying field! All depending on what if any birds we can bring with us that will fit. After all, the Guest of Honor will be this giant Corsair I am bringing home with me!

I have been searching for a giant scale Corsair for quite some time. I nearly pulled the trigger on the nice looking Hangar 9 60cc Corsair but I'm glad I didn't as this one already has quite a bit done already and I can customize it to my heart's content. Here's what Brad has invested so far:
    • Rimfire 65 brushless motor
    • Castle HV 160A ESC
    • AR12310T 12-Channel DSMX/XPlus PowerSafe Receiver
    • Biela 25x10 3 Blade Propeller
    • Savox and Hitec Servos
    • Power Bus
    • Robart Electric Retracts
    • Robart Sequencer
    • Tys Planes Cockpit Kit
    • Robart Scale Aluminum Wheels
    Very nice quality components so what's left for me to finish is mounting of the motor, finishing up the connections, finish the gear door mechanism, add the strut gear doors, install the tail wheel doors and decide on if Brad will let me buy his Biela 25x10 prop or find another one. I plan on going with two 6S 5000's in series (at the moment). Once she's maidened successfully I will begin work on the fun stuff (for me) which is detailing. putting the cockpit kit together and painting, getting the 1/5 scale Pappy Boyington from Best Pilots, adding a canopy rail for sliding canopy, new paint and of course weathering details for the finishing touches. I can hardly wait!!

These are some of the photos Brad has submitted to me. More will follow as I continue and progress through the build. Hopefully this thread can be useful for others considering either this same model or a similar-sized giant scale warbird with electric conversion.

So thank you Brad for this amazing opportunity! I can't wait to get started!
    My YouTube RC videos:
    https://www.youtube.com/@toddbreda

Here's the ESM 50cc Corsair with a 1/5 Pappy Boyington pilot from Best Pilots that has a servo-activated turning head...That is the goal! So cool!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ESMF4U-74AAF_1.500.jpg
Views:	1290
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	74550

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Woah! That's exciting! Beautiful model. I look forward to seeing how it turns out. :Cool:

Comment

Thanks! Me too! ;)

Everything I've read she's a real solid flyer as well. Lands like a *****cat with 45 degree flaps.
        My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Hey Aros, what c rating would you recommend with that set up for the lipo's?

Can't wait for you to post a maiden video when you get it up and running.
          Sponsored by:

ADVOCARE

Comment

Glad you got such a beauty Corsair Aros! Just sold mine and am feeling some "sellers remorse". I'll bet Brad is too.
            Tom

Comment

Hey Pogo, no wonder you have seller's remorse, she's a beauty, well weathered and just downright wicked!!! Was that electric or gas? I would have had remorse had I sold it too an unknown and never seen it again. Aros and I just spoke about that recently. However, I know Aros and I know he shares my admiration, appreciation, and love for the bent wing bird and his willingness to share the completion and flight of this awesome example of what could be accomplished by Chance Vought and others in the heat of war. So, I'm O.K. with that.

Comment

Originally posted by saint View Post
                Hey Aros, what c rating would you recommend with that set up for the lipo's?

Can't wait for you to post a maiden video when you get it up and running.
                Hey saint! Well the Admiral 5000's are 50C, so that will likely be the C rating I go with. I am not as concerned with a high C rating for warbirds as I am EDF jets. Anything between a 30-50C is fine for me when it comes to prop-driven warbirds. It's the jets I crave the higher octane C.

:)

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo View Post
                  Glad you got such a beauty Corsair Aros! Just sold mine and am feeling some "sellers remorse". I'll bet Brad is too.
                  Tom
                  I bet you are and I bet Brad will too. It's normal for sure, especially when you invest a lot of time and love into a model like OBVIOUSLY you have done with yours! My goodness what a gorgeous bird, well done!

I sold my HSD 105mm F-16 to help fund this bird and I definitely feel seller's remorse, but what eases my sadness is knowing she's helping to fund a warbird I am going to treasure for a very long time. I hope it helps Brad knowing that she's going to go to a very good home. I will pamper her like the princess she is!

LOL

Photos of my HSD F-16 being packed up...Sniff, sniff...

My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Originally posted by downwindleg View Post
                    Hey Pogo, no wonder you have seller's remorse, she's a beauty, well weathered and just downright wicked!!! Was that electric or gas? I would have had remorse had I sold it too an unknown and never seen it again. Aros and I just spoke about that recently. However, I know Aros and I know he shares my admiration, appreciation, and love for the bent wing bird and his willingness to share the completion and flight of this awesome example of what could be accomplished by Chance Vought and others in the heat of war. So, I'm O.K. with that.
                    Yes sir, we share the passion for this beautiful bent winged bird, no question!
                    My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Pogo, care to share your experiences with this bird? Your information and experience would be a great and welcomed addition to the thread!
                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Wow! Good for you Todd, what a nice bird and the work on it so far looks to be outstanding!
                        My only problem with building something like that is I couldn't stop 'til it's done, so the wife wouldn't be too pleased. So we all will live vicariously through you as you 'get 'er done'
                        Congrats and I can't wait to see the results, remember, it's Spring, don't want you coming out of the man cave in November, having missed the whole flying season!!

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Originally posted by Aros.MotionRC View Post
                          Pogo, care to share your experiences with this bird? Your information and experience would be a great and welcomed addition to the thread!
                          Great minds think alike. I was going to ask Pogo that same question.:Cool:

Comment

Yeah I will be at the mercy of my buddy's build schedule so I am sure I will be antsy until it's complete! :) He's pretty good about allocating time for builds so I suspect it won't be too long before maiden time...Hopefully by the end of Summer!
                            My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Thanks Aros!
                              Sponsored by:

ADVOCARE

Comment

Originally posted by downwindleg View Post

Great minds think alike. I was going to ask Pogo that same question.:Cool:
                                Hey guys! I would happily share what I learned putting mine together but there may be a misunderstanding here as it is the Hangar 9 65" version, not this giant ESM, so's I don't know that anything would be relevant. For sure you're going to want the batteries (and everything else, for that matter)
                                as far forward as possible, these Corsairs being so long-nosed. I don't know about this ESM, but opening up the firewall in mine allowed the packs another 3" forward (inside the motor mount box), I made a mount for the RX battery above the motor, and the ESC is directly behind the dummy radial engine. I'm sure you get the idea.
                                The guy who bought mine turned out to be someone I met last year as a guest at our club and is now a member so I'm sure I'll see him flying "my" bird this season.:Cool:
                                Aros, I'm looking forward to seeing yours moving towards completion and flight and if I can be of any help I'll sure offer my 2 cents.
                                Tom

Comment

I forgot to ask- Brad, is that your shop?! What a beautiful space! I am so ashamed now of my little messy, disorganized hovel....:(
                                  Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo View Post
                                    I forgot to ask- Brad, is that your shop?! What a beautiful space! I am so ashamed now of my little messy, disorganized hovel....:(
                                    Tom
                                    Actually, this is an area in our house that I share with my wife. She does sewing and quilting on her side and I do the planes on mine so I have to maintain some semblance of order or she will kick me out. I have another area out in the garage where I keep the other planes that I'm not actively working on or doing repairs. Trust me it looks allot different in there.....kind of like a bomb went off!!:Scared:

Comment

Ah no worries Tom, thanks for the input all the same!
                                      My YouTube RC videos:

Comment

Hey Aros, I just remembered something I tried on another Corsair years ago.......functional cowl flaps. If your interested, I can dig out the info or at least give you the details. You can set them up to close on command or if your short on channels, they can close with the throttle. Brad

Comment

Working...
                                        X