X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynam GeeBee Racer

Just had a chance to fly this one last weekend, and it is a superb flyer. Very stable, plenty of power with the stock set up, aerobatic, large landing gear that work great off of grass fields and plenty of rake so it won't nose over, and it simply looks great in the air. Very visible with the red, white and black color scheme. This one is a winner! Best of all, it is already in production, all MRC has to do is to start carrying it!

RE: Dynam GeeBee Racer

Hello Loneflier,
    You are spot on with comments regarding the GeeBee by Dynam. I've had 2 students get this airframe as their move to a low wing configuration. It is stable at lower speeds, will do aerobatics and the landing gear will take some good abuse on those "aggressive" touchdowns. This is absolutely another Dynam product that MRC needs to take away from NP and add to the growing line of "winners".
    Warbird Charlie
    HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1
    Incinerator Loss 16

Comment

Interesting comments guys. We've been staying away from the Dynam Gee-Bee because it does not look very scale (to me) and sales of the Great Planes Gee-Bee we carried in the past were extremely slow. However, as with anything, if more people want it, we will certainly consider it. We had also passed on the Dynam Waco and Dynam Tiger Moth until our customers "showed us the light". We now have both. If anyone else has any opinion on the Dynam Gee-Bee, please let us know.

Comment

Hi Tom,

I also have the Great Planes Gee Bee, and it is a totally different plane. Cool for sure, but smaller, and looks like it would be difficult to fly for most. The Dynam is the Y model, and a totally different beast. I can't speak to how "scale" it really is, but I do know it is a nice looking plane, and does have excellent flight characteristics.

Comment

I assume you are talking about the GeeBee R3. If so, it never was a full scale (real) plane. Only a model designed, I believe, by an Italian artist. I have a*60" foamy and a 40" balsa/ply model. Two of my favorites. The Doctor

Comment

Doc
            No we are not talking about the R3(That IS a cool airframe too). Loneflier nailed it correctly as the Y. The Gee Bee Model Y Senior Sportster was a sports aircraft built in the United States in the early 1930s by the Granville Brothers.
            Regards,
            Warbird Charlie
            HSD Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51, F4U, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; ASM A-26; ESM F7F-3; LX PBJ-1
            Incinerator Loss 16

Comment

No, I have the R-3 as well, but the Great Planes Gee Bee is the one the Granville Brothers designed and flew. I don't recall which designation it has, but it is the one with the really short stubby wings, and fuselage like a barrel, with the closed in cockpit right at the tail. It did fly, but developed a reputation as a killer since several pilots were lost flying this plane. Cool looking plane, looks almost like a cartoon plane and you think there is no way that thing could fly when you first see it!

Comment

Loneflier,
                Yep, the cartoon(or killer) bird was the R1 & R2. Great Planes modeled the R1.
                Warbird Charlie
                Incinerator Loss 16

Comment

I've noticed that most of the GeeBee models are not truly scale. They would be almost impossible to fly if they were. They appear to have much more wing area (scale wise) than the real planes did. AS3X technology really helps these planes. The Doctor

Comment

Really like my dynam geebee. Flies great, very stable and aerobatic.

Comment

Ouch! Darn sky carp

Comment

Avenger of Pearl Harbor

FAILURES ARE ONLY UNDERDEVELOPED SUCCESSES

https://www.pinterest.com/tengarang/edf-warbirds

Comment

Originally posted by Tom.MotionRC View Post

Interesting comments guys. We've been staying away from the Dynam Gee-Bee because it does not look very scale (to me) and sales of the Great Planes Gee-Bee we carried in the past were extremely slow. However, as with anything, if more people want it, we will certainly consider it. We had also passed on the Dynam Waco and Dynam Tiger Moth until our customers "showed us the light". We now have both. If anyone else has any opinion on the Dynam Gee-Bee, please let us know.
                          Tom,

This plane IS a very scale model of the Gee Bee Model Y Super Sportster, its not the R1 you are thinking of. I also concur that this is a great flying plane that most modelers don't know about. Unlike many of the other Dynam planes, this one goes together well and works great right out of the box (it doesn't have the crappy Dynam retracts that constantly fail).

If you would like to see some flying impressions of the Gee Bee, below is a YouTube video I did on it several years ago.

(I'm not particularily proud of the video, it was done when I was much younger and less wise). Also I have discovered how to better edit videos for time. Enjoy

Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, Tundra, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, Corsair, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson.

Comment

Apparently link didnt work.

Try again

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...AmXqwHLpUx5ScT
                            Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, Tundra, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, Corsair, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson.

Comment

Glad to see this one is still popular. More than 4 years after starting this post, my Gee Bee Y model is still looking and flying great, and I still enjoy it. I don't fly it as often since I have accumulated quite a few other models since then, but it remains a good, solid flying plane and does well on grass fields.

Comment

Aircraft 1,9 and 52 are on todays photo shoot. If tomorrows weather yields no rain with acceptable winds then the qualification for aircraft#1 and maiden flight for aircraft#52 will take place at Rancho San Antonio. Word on the street suggests De Porchetta B-26 will be on standby as presiding figure for the qualification and maiden flight ceremonies; and may also go upstairs for swim as well.

Weather Permitting.

If the rain does show up in tomorrow forecast then there is a indoor project for AIRCRAFT#17 and AIRCRAFT#18
                                for replacing both bomber with the "Turnigy™ TGY-390DMH High Performance DS/MG Servo 5.4kg / 0.11sec / 22.5g' servos.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigyt...sec-22-5g.html

AIRCRAFT#1 Tail Dragger Civilian Dynam GeeBee 1200mm USA priceless Ready for Qualification Power25 1160KV APC 11x8x2 4s 2200mah DX9
                                AIRCRAFT#9 Tail Dragger Military/Fighter 11Hobby Bearcat 1100mm USA priceless Ready In Hangar G32 600KV unique 13x6x4 4s 4000mah DX9
                                AIRCRAFT#52 Tail Dragger Military/Fighter 11Hobby Bearcat 1100mm USA priceless Maiden Flight 4258 650KV FMS 14x8x4 4s 2200mah DX9

AIRCRAFT#17 Tail Dragger Military/Bomber 1875mm B-17G Duchess Daughter USA priceless Ready In Hangar 4018 850KV FMS Stock 9x6.5x3 Counter Rotating TWO 3s 4000mah DX9
                                AIRCRAFT#18 Tail Dragger Military/Bomber 1875mm B-17G Tiger Girl USA priceless Ready In Hangar 4018 700KV FMS Stock 9x6.5x3 Counter Rotating TWO 4s 2200mah DX9

Attached Files
                                Aircraft 1,9 and 52 are on todays photo shoot. If tomorrows weather yields no rain with acceptable winds then the qualification for aircraft#1 and...

Comment

Qualification for:

AIRCRAFT#1 Tail Dragger Civilian Dynam GeeBee 1200mm USA priceless Ready In Hangar Power25 1160KV APC 11x8x2 4s 2200mah DX9

https://youtu.be/PzmXAsaJPXs

Went well, after getting the LemonRX 10 channel dialed in and re-trimmed to the new radio settings. I had to dumb down the dual rate settings to match the expo on the ailerons to get the GeeBee flying smoothly.
                                  bombay drop wont be empty next mission.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Qualification for: AIRCRAFT#1 Tail Dragger Civilian Dynam GeeBee 1200mm USA priceless Ready In Hangar Power25 1160KV APC 11x8x2 4s 2200mah DX9...

Comment

Aircraft#1 Dynam GeeBee

I plan to build a ~4V audio amplifier to enable amplification capability to amplify Stewie's three tone speech patterns(s)

First thing that needs to happen is to have an auxiliary control to enable the controlled by toggle speech pattern(s) on Stewie's existing hardware which is already embedded inside the doll.

to do this i have ordered the
                                    "Dr. Mad Thrust series 5A HV BEC with Inbuilt Aux Controlled On/Off Switch for Accs"
                                    https://hobbyking.com/…/dr-mad-thrust-series-5a-hv-bec-with…

The Dr. Mad Thrust unit will serve two purposes:
                                    1) tone toggle control
                                    2) external BEC unit which will be decoupled by a 4000uF bypass cap which will be operable with the main esc's internal bec circuit as well; to safely achieve a dual BEC operational condition going to the receiver.

For the amplification circuit going in to Stewie's speakers the Texas Instruments the LM386N-1 chip will be utilized to build a circuit to amplify the sound from stewies 3 mode tone toggled by the Dr. Mad thrust Auxillary control.

At the moment i am debating to use a 9V or greater battery to get punchier sound at the expense of additional weight for the AUW (All up weight) of stewies airplane. Id like to keep the weight down hence the purpose of building this light weight circuit as opposed to buying a pre-built bulky and heavy sound module. Which by the way a custom built version will allow me alot more flexibility to retrofit the sound solution to what real-estate i have available inside Stewie's plane

In general im gonna use a 10K POT to adjust the input at the non inverting input pin of the LM386-1 and use filter caps at power to reduce clipping and noise tuning

the results should be better than most small blue tooth speakers......

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm386.pdf
                                    Attached Files
                                    Aircraft#1 Dynam GeeBee I plan to build a ~4V audio amplifier to enable amplification capability capability Stewie's three tone speech patterns(s)...

Comment

With some help from my friends discussing the replacement of the momentary switch. I came up with the following schematic and seems to work quite well. Since the output with 2A load is essentially a buffered 5V driver i chose a 5V relay (2211-05-301) to control the switch via GEAR channel from he transmitter .

https://www.digikey.com/…/co…/2211-05-301/306-1006-ND/301641

The 5V output was used to power up the relay and bias the Common pin 4 which is normally closed when the relay is not being driven 0V which enables Stewie to toggle tone each time i hit the gear switch.

when the relay is powered on 5V across the coil then the open circuit condition between pin 4 and 8 is met hence no tone toggle condition.
                                      Attached Files

Comment

https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...112#post193112
                                        This new thread is to serve more or less of my activities inside and outside of the Tengarang hangar pertaining to the electric foam fixed wing niche.

Comment

Working...
                                        X