EDF Unit: 12-Blade 70mm
    Motor: 3048-2000KV
    ESC: 80A with BEC
    Servo: 9g x 3pcs metal geared

Requires:
    1 x 6CH Radio System (TX/RX)
    1 x 3000mAh 6S 30~60C Lipo Battery

Comment

Funny you posted this. I just purchased the Hobbyking Artic cat kit. Then my browser popped up this Flycat model. Winters comming and I need to fly something besides my Cub off the snow. What's your overview of this model is?

Comment

It's a simple bank-and-yank jet, but very agile with good power. Because of the thick airfoil it's not a bullet, but it's very stable and stall-resistant. Don't let the size fool you, it can easily be flown in tight quarters. The nose gear is hollow, thin plastic, so some care needed to belly land without cartwheeling or digging into grass/dirt. There are provisions to install retracts, or even permanent landing gear. For its price-point, it's a good value. And the decals, I'm able to remove them with packing tape, and the plane is bare foam, no worries about damaging the finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Skyboom View Post
          Funny you posted this. I just purchased the Hobbyking Artic cat kit. Then my browser popped up this Flycat model. Winters comming and I need to fly something besides my Cub off the snow. What's your overview of this model is?
          We had 7 of these Arctic Cats at our field. I have one working model and one still in the box. This was our primary winter plane. Easy “skidded” off ice/snow. Tough as nails. I built mine as a 4 cell plane. I’ve thought about this new Cat but I’m not sure it will do well skidding along the snow. Some potential for sucking snow into the fan. Also, I really don’t need another EDF hand launcher, although if I did, this would be the one. My winter “skidders” currently comprise of the Arctic Cat, Canadian water bomber, HK Albatross and big tired Tundra and BushMule. I’ll also fly my sailplanes and VTOLs in the winter. The rest will hibernate.

Comment

I thought readers of this thread might like to see the Flycat that I have modified to represent a Blohm and Voss BV-217.

The minute I first saw the Flycat, I realized its planform was perfect to model this rare and seldom seen WW2 German jet fighter.

The mods include airbrushed paint scheme, cockpit modification, addition of retracts and landing gear, cannons and rockets and the distinctive drooped wingtips of the BV-217.

Vance

Click image for larger version

Name:	flycat10.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	214774Click image for larger version

Name:	flycat1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	214775Click image for larger version

Name:	flycat5.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	214776Click image for larger version

Name:	flycat12.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	214777

Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

That turned out very nice vdanger!!!

Comment

Thanks!
                Super Airliner, Corsair, Viper, BAE Hawk, L-39, A-6, PC-21, B-25, T-28, GeeBee, Wildcat, Stinson, F-16, F-4

Comment

The BV-217 is so rare and seldom seen, you would be hard-pressed to find any information about it, even in a list of production, prototype, or project planes.

Comment

Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post
                    The BV-217 is so rare and seldom seen, you would be hard-pressed to find any information about it, even in a list of production, prototype, or project planes.
                    fred,

The reason you are having a hard time finding any information on this jet is because the western allies never faced it.

A single squadron of six BV-217’s became operational in April 1945. It was deployed on the Eastern front. The unit was only in existence for two weeks before its airfield was overrun by advancing Russian ground forces, but in that two weeks it managed to down over 60 Russian aircraft!

When the squadron was overrun, all six examples of the BV-217 were immediately shipped back to Russia for evaluation. That is why nothing was known about this aircraft in the west until the fall of the former Soviet Union and the recent release of classified military files. Only a single black and white photograph of the Bolhm and Voss BV-217 exists today.

From what I have learned, this aircraft was a follow - on to the previous work done on the Blohm and Voss Bv P.196 and bears a direct resemblance to the Focke-Wulf FW P.VII (Flitzer). Both of these prototypes were also twin boom jet fighters.

The BV-217 was armed with two Rheinmetall-Borsig MK-108 30mm autocannons and four HF-2 Hassenpfeffer (or “Rabbit”) unguided air to air rockets. The HF-2 was particularly lethal as it had a kill radius of over 300 meters.

This jet could attain a top speed of over 695 mph, (over 100 miles an hour faster than the Messerschmitt ME-262). It did this through the use of “Derspittennflammen” or the first crude afterburner.

The Blohm and Voss BV-217 could have been a real game changer for the Germans in World War Two had it been introduced sooner.

Vance

Comment

Originally posted by vdanger View Post

fred,

The reason you are having a hard time finding any information on this jet is because the western allies never faced it.

A single squadron of six BV-217’s became operational in April 1945. It was deployed on the Eastern front. The unit was only in existence for two weeks before its airfield was overrun by advancing Russian ground forces, but in that two weeks it managed to down over 60 Russian aircraft!

When the squadron was overrun, all six examples of the BV-217 were immediately shipped back to Russia for evaluation. That is why nothing was known about this aircraft in the west until the fall of the former Soviet Union and the recent release of classified military files. Only a single black and white photograph of the Bolhm and Voss BV-217 exists today.

From what I have learned, this aircraft was a follow - on to the previous work done on the Blohm and Voss Bv P.196 and bears a direct resemblance to the Focke-Wulf FW P.VII (Flitzer). Both of these prototypes were also twin boom jet fighters.

The BV-217 was armed with two Rheinmetall-Borsig MK-108 30mm autocannons and four HF-2 Hassenpfeffer (or “Rabbit”) unguided air to air rockets. The HF-2 was particularly lethal as it had a kill radius of over 300 meters.

This jet could attain a top speed of over 695 mph, (over 100 miles an hour faster than the Messerschmitt ME-262). It did this through the use of “Derspittennflammen” or the first crude afterburner.

The Blohm and Voss BV-217 could have been a real game changer for the Germans in World War Two had it been introduced sooner.

Vance
                      A citation or a picture of it would be helpful - is there one available?

Also, Blohm & Voss was based in Hamburg, which was captured by the British, never overrun by the Soviets. I would be surprised that there was no documentation ever found regarding this plane, as the Germans in general had a propensity to document everything, to disastrous effect for the Nazis after surrender. And the designers and engineers flocked to surrender to the Western Allies rather than the understandably unsympathetic Soviets.

Also, the aircraft would have had to have been accepted by the Reich Air Ministry (Reichsluftfahrtministerium).

And was it ever covered in the many Nazi "wonder weapons" shows on the likes of the History Channel?

Comment

Originally posted by fredmdbud View Post

A citation or a picture of it would be helpful - is there one available?

Also, Blohm & Voss was based in Hamburg, which was captured by the British, never overrun by the Soviets. I would be surprised that there was no documentation ever found regarding this plane, as the Germans in general had a propensity to document everything, to disastrous effect for the Nazis after surrender. And the designers and engineers flocked to surrender to the Western Allies rather than the understandably unsympathetic Soviets.

Also, the aircraft would have had to have been accepted by the Reich Air Ministry (Reichsluftfahrtministerium).

And was it ever covered in the many Nazi "wonder weapons" shows on the likes of the History Channel?
                        Fred,

Alas, I do not have the picture of this aircraft.

I became aware of this aircraft when I was browsing the Dark Web one evening and came across a website that had a file on the BV-217.

I copied down the information on the BV-217 that I have related here and saw the photograph.

I would have liked to save the photograph but I am loath to download anything from the Dark Web for fear of viruses.

But believe me, my RC plane looks just like it!

Comment

Maidened my Flycat today. After a little bit of trimming,it flew hands off.

Nice docile EDF.

Not as fast as my viper but could be a good first EDF for someone new to jets

Got in three good flights.

Comment

We maidened my buddy's Sunday at Nall and it has got to be one of the easiest hand launch jets I've seen so far.

Comment

Radar runs with the FLYCAT!

Comment

Ah so BV (-217) in this case is not referencing a Bob Violett plane.

That said, great looking plane, vdanger!

Comment

Working...
                                X