RC Jet Werx

You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BWA

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • BWA

    No it's not a typo error regarding TWA - Trans World Airlines or a reference to Borg Warner on the stock exchange.
    I am proud to announce that the ground work preparation began today for the 2018 flying season opening of Browns Warbird Aviation - BWA.
    After getting home from my eWEEK excursion I was telling my Dad about my side trip to TIA and how I envied the setup that George has established.
    I told Dad that if for any reason the farmer that has been using a 15 acre plot of land of his is curtailed that I would lease that for my own airstrip in a heartbeat.
    So yesterday he calls me and says he needs a hand moving some equipment around the barn and asked if I was available Sunday(today)
    I get down there around noonish and the first words from him are "so where do you want that airstrip located, lets get it laid out"
    (That's a big eatin grin)

    So here's the official ground breaking pics for BWA

    I established the center line direction and this view is prevailing runway 30.
    The stakes are 30 ft apart and in the distance at 300 ft is another set of stakes
    Only took Dad about 5 minutes to knock that alfalfa down with the John Deere
    (ps - field is level......phone wasn't)
    Trees in the distance are another 400 past the end of runway

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0723.jpg Views:	1 Size:	182.7 KB ID:	101289

    This opposite view is runway 12 with the 30' high tree line at 350 ft
    What looks to be a closer cut field is my brother and his daughters back yards.
    I will establish a canopy area just to the right side of that right hand stake.
    Come the spring time a vibratory roller will be hittin both the yard/field with the sod being
    manicured to 3/4".
    No more clipping clover buds and dandelions with my scale props as I have done for
    the past four years at the club I was with(not official yet).

    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0724.JPG Views:	1 Size:	158.8 KB ID:	101290

    Those that know me also know of my passion for this hobby and can totally imagine how
    stoked I've been for the day and even now as I share this experience with all the pilots on the Squawk.
    Best Regards,

  • #2
    That is totally AWESOME Charlie!! Go dad!

    Comment


    • #3
      Very nice looking field, I can see a permanent clubhouse/hangar in the near future

      Comment


      • #4
        Looks Good WBC! I'll have to check it out.

        Comment


        • #5
          Great CB!! I'm retireing 1 April. Plan on many trips to flying events and fields. Looks like another field on the list of places to go!!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lon View Post
            Great CB!! I'm retireing 1 April. Plan on many trips to flying events and fields. Looks like another field on the list of places to go!!
            That is part of the bigger overall pic........to hold some events there.
            Sure did miss seeing ya @ NEFI this year.......Hope you can make it there next year.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by OV10 View Post

              That is part of the bigger overall pic........to hold some events there.
              Sure did miss seeing ya @ NEFI this year.......Hope you can make it there next year.
              Planning on it. I was hoping, planning last year. But, with it being only 6 weeks after my full cardiac arrest experience...just didn't feel up to it...though I wanted to.

              Comment


              • #8
                Godbless Lon. I hope you are doing well now.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dang CB, stretch that runway out a bit more westward so I can fly on it too!!
                  Congrats buddy, what a great surprise!! I can only imagine how stoked you are, Christ, I'm stoked and I'm 5 driving days away!!
                  Somehow, some way, I'll show up on your doorstep.................

                  Grossman56

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Dewey H Lee View Post
                    Godbless Lon. I hope you are doing well now.
                    Thank you for your thoughts Dewey! I am doing very good now.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Grossman56 View Post
                      Dang CB, stretch that runway out a bit more westward so I can fly on it too!!
                      Congrats buddy, what a great surprise!! I can only imagine how stoked you are, Christ, I'm stoked and I'm 5 driving days away!!
                      Somehow, some way, I'll show up on your doorstep.................

                      Grossman56
                      Plenty of room for that rollin bunkhouse of yours when you finally retire and don't have to rush back to WY after a week on the road for three days of flying.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Awesome Charlie on the new field. My well wishes for a speedy recovery Lon. R.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          So today was a major milestone, after a long cold spring the airstrip with some TLC seeding and rock picking and wood chuck hole backfilling and several poundings with the 3000 lb vibratory roller that dad acquired for the airfield it was time to give it the first zero-turn 1 inch cut treatment. It was also a looooong dry spell of almost 6 months since I last flew so no warbirds were brought out to knock the rust off the thumbs. The L4 and the Waco which are comfort creatures for me had the distinction of opening BWA for it's very first flight operations. The wind was a cross direction directly out of the south at about 10 so the rudder/aileron cross controls to navigate runway 30 was a challenge to the rust but by the 3rd battery on the L4 the touch n gos had become routine again. 8 flights today across the two birds for a total of 72 minutes air time. I expect that the grass seed will have come into full sprout in another month and the runway will be a plush 1 inch thick carpet.
                          It was nice having my dad watching me and best of all no more club politics.

                          Last fall was a bumpy alfalfa strip..........................Today was a smooth grass dominant strip..........The rolling flight deck where the tent pavilion will be
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0723.jpg Views:	2 Size:	182.7 KB ID:	131969Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0831.JPG Views:	1 Size:	120.8 KB ID:	131970Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0832.JPG Views:	1 Size:	136.4 KB ID:	131971

                          FINALLY

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by OV10 View Post
                            So today was a major milestone, after a long cold spring the airstrip with some TLC seeding and rock picking and wood chuck hole backfilling and several poundings with the 3000 lb vibratory roller that dad acquired for the airfield it was time to give it the first zero-turn 1 inch cut treatment. It was also a looooong dry spell of almost 6 months since I last flew so no warbirds were brought out to knock the rust off the thumbs. The L4 and the Waco which are comfort creatures for me had the distinction of opening BWA for it's very first flight operations. The wind was a cross direction directly out of the south at about 10 so the rudder/aileron cross controls to navigate runway 30 was a challenge to the rust but by the 3rd battery on the L4 the touch n gos had become routine again. 8 flights today across the two birds for a total of 72 minutes air time. I expect that the grass seed will have come into full sprout in another month and the runway will be a plush 1 inch thick carpet.
                            It was nice having my dad watching me and best of all no more club politics.

                            Last fall was a bumpy alfalfa strip..........................Today was a smooth grass dominant strip..........The rolling flight deck where the tent pavilion will be
                            Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0723.jpg Views:	2 Size:	182.7 KB ID:	131969Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0831.JPG Views:	1 Size:	120.8 KB ID:	131970Click image for larger version Name:	IMG_0832.JPG Views:	1 Size:	136.4 KB ID:	131971

                            FINALLY
                            Simply FANTASTIC!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Looks awesome OV, maybe Ill get to fly there one day

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Looking good!

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
                                  Looks awesome OV, maybe Ill get to fly there one day
                                  No maybe about it Bro, the LSO green light is always on for you

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Way too cool! That would my 'Field of Dreams' right there... looks like Heaven from where I'm sittin'.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Your LZ looks AWESOME OV! You've done a fine job and the added bonus of having Dad there to see it come to fruition is the cherry on top!

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Originally posted by Dual Prop Dave View Post
                                        Your LZ looks AWESOME OV! You've done a fine job and the added bonus of having Dad there to see it come to fruition is the cherry on top!
                                        Dad grew up in your neck of the woods, namely Williamsport. Have relatives in Sunbury and Lewisburg too. Yes I'm a Pennsylvania Dutch boy

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X