X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warbirds Squadron

Been waiting for a little better weather here in upstate NY to get the birds out to show them off all together but since the snow won't go away I'll show them on their hangars(another bad simile) . The F4U was my Xmas present.*I plan on adding 2 more in the next quarter, a VQ 60" SBD-5 Dauntless and either the revamped Starmax 63"*A1 Skyraider or the ESM 70" Skyraider. Waiting to see what the new manufacturer does with the Starmax mold but the ESM span is more in the appropriate scale relationship to rest of the 50"+ birds. Here they are from left to right - Dynam 50" Waco, (tail end of broken DHC-2 Beaver), TechOne 40" P-40, Freewing 46" A6, FMS 55" F6F, FMS 55" F4U, FMS 57" P-51D, FMS 55" P-40, ScaleTech 53" OV-10, PZ 43" T-28 floatplane, FMS 55" T-28, and lastly my screaming death(has a shrill whistle in a dive)*is the VQ 61" P-39.

Attached Files

RE: Warbirds Squadron of Eleven

Nice display. I see you are partial to FMS warbirds! Very nice. What are those brackets you have to hang the planes? I have not seen those, I like them. My wife, bless her, has let me hang my fleet in the two story entryway of our house. She says she doesn't mind as its like art! OK, works for me.

Comment

Hello retiredflyer,
      Thanx for the accolade. I really wanted to get a pic of all the war birds surrounding the Waco welcoming my only civilian plane to the fleet. The Beaver was a crash victim that was given to me for restoration but hasn't gotten there yet. I am an old school balsa/ply modeler but yes those FMS planes have made me a hard core styro convertee. Am really into the 1/8 scale. The brackets you ask about are nothing but 1/2 inch PVC with foam pipe insulation on the elbow where the plane hangs from the horizontal stab. One 10 ft piece of pipe and the associated fittings totaling $10 makes 2 hangers. My sweetie lets me use her four season room to build in when the workshop where the planes hang is cold(50 degrees F). Am running out of wall space, maybe I'll plagiaris your wife's art idea for some storage rationale with my wife.

Comment

Great collection you have.

Comment

you have some nice planes there OV.
          [hr]
          Originally posted by STOOPIDMONKEY
          you have some nice planes there OV.
          This is my collection...

From left to right
          Edge 540, HobbyZone Champ, FMS 1400mm Sky Trainer 182, PZ P-47D, PZ Corsair, PZ P-51D, FMS 1450mm P-51B (Crashed but getting a new one)
          Attached Files

Comment

Hows the Jug fly Sean?

Comment

Originally posted by Flygirl
              Hows the Jug fly Sean?
              I like it a lot she is sporty and comes in to land a little fast but a pure joy to fly, she torque turns left if given a little too much power on take off. other than that she is responsive and predictable loves to be hucked into rolls, loops, stalls, just wack the sticks around and she will recover.

Comment

RE: Warbirds Squadron

Flying weather is now in full swing here in upstate NY and took the holiday weekend to get the increased fleet numbers documented.

Attached Files

Comment

Holy smokes Charley! All yours???

Comment

YEP :D*, the only draw back with a 1/8 scale fleet is that my hangar space is almost depleted. I didn't include my AD-4 (A1) Skyraider in the mix because it was a recent balsa/ply*kit acquisition and is only*half assembled. Also not in the pics are my 300CFX and 500X Blade helos. Sadly those helos just don't get me as jazzed as my warbirds do so they don't see a lot of flight time.

Comment

Greetings OV10,

YEAH, BABY!!!

That's what i'm talking about!! Awesome Fleet!!

Have I ever asked you about your Intruder? Do you like it?

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                      in Okla.

Comment

Hey Bill,
                        The Intruder was definitely a must have since I was assigned to them A6's in the early 70's(VA-35). I love it's presence in the air when I do a just off the deck pass down the runway for the crowd. The only negative flight characteristic that I have encountered with it more than I really like to have to react to is when landing because it gets very twitchy due to ground effect when about 3 feet off the grass deck. I have recently added an A3-L gyro( the only one in the fleet) so that I can set the approach glide slope angle for about 5 degrees nose high attitude with flaps/elev and then just control my decent with thrust just like the real bird. I have yet to try it out but am hoping that all that last minute corrective action on the sticks can be reduced especially when fighting x-winds which is where it is really touchy to the ground effect.
                        Best Regards

Comment

Greetings OV10,

Do you find that the Intruder requires additional runway length. Seems to me that the swept wing models like the A-6 and the F-86 don't like to slow down with any sense of urgency on approach (without flaps) and I usually find (at least for our runway (asphalt) ) that by the time it wants to touch down a begin its roll-out I'm practically out of runway.

That always freaks me out cause I always hit that point of indecision between bringing it in and going around again. Frustrating!

Bill L.
                          in Okla.

Comment

Whats the make on that SBD?

Comment

Hello Bill,
                              Actually the amount of runway used for landing is really no more than what I need for the Mustang. The real key on Intruder landings IS the use of flaps. The airframe design mandates their use for take off and landings. With most of the RC WW2 fighters, the average pilot will only use flaps during minimal wind conditions for landing and will also do the same with EDF's whereas just the opposite is needed with the A6 or any other jet airframe. You gotta use them for making extra camber which creates that extra lift and drag for lower landing airspeeds. With no flaps your landing airspeed is about 15 percent greater which nets to a longer runway roll out length which is even more so on asphalt than grass. I have my students that are aspiring to be proficient warbird pilots learn to use at least half flaps on their landings in any wind speeds less than 20. I will sometimes remind them that the warbird airframe designers had a method to their madness when they put flaps on the paper. Gotta use more cowbell, uh I mean more flaps.
                              Best regards my friend,
                              [hr]
                              Originally posted by SOB8604
                              Whats the make on that SBD?
                              VQ

Comment

Hey there fellow pilots,
                                Wanted to show some pics of the*livery upgrade that I finished doing to my Intruder by*representing the squadron I was attached to back in the early 70's. The Black Panthers also known as VA-35 or Aktron 35 was the oldest in the Navy history from 1936-96 and was also the largest medium attack squadron.
                                Also want*to thank Callie of Callie Graphics for her awesome work(and affordability)*on this special walk back 40 years ago for me on this project as well as on my soon to be finished Skyraider which will also sport custom representation of my squadron when they had the AD-4 prior to the A6.
                                Here's the real one:

Here's the model with Nimitz cruise*book:
                                The soon to be added Skyraider livery:

Best Regards
                                Attached Files

Comment

Looks great Charlie!!

Comment

That's awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by OV10
                                      Hey there fellow pilots,
                                      Wanted to show some pics of the*livery upgrade that I finished doing to my Intruder by*representing the squadron I was attached to back in the early 70's. The Black Panthers also known as VA-35 or Aktron 35 was the oldest in the Navy history from 1936-96 and was also the largest medium attack squadron.
                                      Also want*to thank Callie of Callie Graphics for her awesome work(and affordability)*on this special walk back 40 years ago for me on this project as well as on my soon to be finished Skyraider which will also sport custom representation of my squadron when they had the AD-4 prior to the A6.
                                      Here's the real one:

Here's the model with Nimitz cruise*book:
                                      The soon to be added Skyraider livery:

Best Regards
                                      EXCELLENT!!!

Comment

Greetings OV10,

Are you kidding me!!??

What an absolutely awesome way to bring back great memories!!
                                        Well done my friend!!!

When you fly your new livery for the first time forget about any photos of the plane.
                                        I'd like to see a shot of the look on your face the first time that insignia goes roaring by at the field!!

Clear Skies

Bill L.
                                        In Okla.

Comment

Working...
                                        X