Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cool, you just know Ryan will have one as well, I see a Blue Angels flight happening!!

Grossman56
    Team Gross!

Comment

Hello pilots,
      Updating my thread with pics of my P-39 and P-38.
      The P-39 is a 1/8 scale VQ that replaces the VQ 1/6 scale version that I got stupid with out at NEFI. The old airframe was repairable but I decided to retire it and get the size that fits the rest of my fleet. It is a 48" span and this time I have retracts. I've got the nose gear https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...ystem-fmmpi113 and spinner https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...inner-fmmpi106 from the FMS 980 'Hells Bells' Cobra with the main gear retracts from the Freewing Stang using the same size wheel as on the nose of the FL Lightning. I used the FMS 3948-760kV motor https://www.motionrc.com/products/fm...motor-fmmkv760 turning an 11x7x3 Dynam prop on a 4000 4S which makes this 4lb airframe haul pretty good using 480 watts. I would say it is as fast as my FL Seafury.
      The FL Lightning is almost as docile as my Bronco, it is my second favorite twin and ranks #3 in the fleet behind the Bronco and Skyraider. Finally am glad to get it added to the fleet.
      Attached Files
      Warbird Charlie
      HSD A1 Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51 Marie, F4U Olathe, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51 Iron Ass; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; Starmax L-4 Grasshopper; ASM A-26 Invader; ESM F7F-3
      RIP A-10; FIRE LOSS OV-10, F7F, P-38, P-47, JU-52, PBJ-1(B-25), P-40E, Spitfire, Dauntless, AN-2; O-2, P-40D, T-28, PBY

Comment

Very nice work on both of them!

Comment

Yep, Charlie ain't called 'Warbird' for nothing. At NEFI, we looked in amazement at the Sea Fury as he explained that it had been attacked by hawks who had mistaken it for a turkey vulcher. The repair job was amazing, you'd never have known if he hadn't told you.

Grossman56
          Team Gross!

Comment

Great pictures Charlie!!
            Lon

Youtube channel:* https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKc...goSkIdw85eZfPA

Hanger 9 Spitfire
            Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, P-51D Iron Ass
            Fliteline P-38L Pacific Silver
            Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver Island Wings
            Freewing Pandora

Comment

That is way cool Gman.

Roy B.

Comment

I sort of stumbled on it and I think I'll try it with some other pics as well. What I was looking for is how to create that comic book/flash card sequence. That's pretty cool. Shirty does that amazingly.

Grossman56
                Team Gross!

Comment

Hello Piots,
                  Updating my hangar thread with my latest acquisition(Xmas) and the subsequent livery mod to represent the Navy's F7F-2D Tigercat.
                  Modeled after VU-4 Bu 80349
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	F7F-2D.png
Views:	5
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	58855
                  All paint work was completed by brush and have close to 20 hours on that.
                  The only decals used from the FL package was the fuselage star/bar.
                  Remainder of decals were from Callie Graphics.
                  Still waiting for the main gear strut upgrades to return to stock so that I can bolt the wings up after retract remove/install.
                  Anxiously awaiting a nose antenna from RC GEEK to finish the scale look.
                  I also did a nose gear strut upgrade documented here:
                  https://www.hobbysquawk.com/forum/rc...de-alternative
                  And couldn't neglect putting some oil pump and lines to the Pratt & Whitney R-2800 radial engine too.

Here is the P&W R-2800. Props need decals yet...........Scale"ish" Oleo Strut (no stirrup!!)

Name:	F7F R-2800.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	58847Click image for larger version

Name:	F7F-2Dscalenoseoleo.JPG
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	58848

Name:	F7F-2Da.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	115.4 KB
ID:	58849Click image for larger version

Name:	F7F-2Db.JPG
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	58850

Name:	F7F-2Dc.JPG
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	58851Click image for larger version

Name:	F7F-2Dd.JPG
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	58852
                  Drone controller crewman sportin a stash!!....................Home Depot paint codes

Name:	F7F-2Dcrew.JPG
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	58853Click image for larger version

Name:	F7F-2Dpaintcodes.JPG
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	58854
                  Warbird Charlie
                  HSD A1 Skyraider; FlightLine: Sea Fury; FMS 1400: P-40B, P-51 Marie, F4U Olathe, F6F, T-28, P-40E, 1700 F4U and a Fox glider; Freewing: A-6, P-51 Iron Ass; VQ: P-39; Dynam: ME-262, FW-190, Waco; Starmax L-4 Grasshopper; ASM A-26 Invader; ESM F7F-3
                  RIP A-10; FIRE LOSS OV-10, F7F, P-38, P-47, JU-52, PBJ-1(B-25), P-40E, Spitfire, Dauntless, AN-2; O-2, P-40D, T-28, PBY

Comment

Looks great Charlie!
                    Lon

Youtube channel:* https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKc...goSkIdw85eZfPA

Hanger 9 Spitfire
                    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, P-51D Iron Ass
                    Fliteline P-38L Pacific Silver
                    Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver Island Wings
                    Freewing Pandora

Comment

Thanx Lon............it will certainly look great in the sky over NEFI !!!
                      Warbird Charlie

Comment

Excuse me, my keyboard is shorting out from all the drool!!!!

Great Job Charlie!!

Grossman56
                        Team Gross!

Comment

Charlie how did you get the paint so smooth ? I've tried and tried but can't get that look

Bryan
                          But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Bryan..............I use artist tapered fan brushes from 1/8 to 1" wide but not stupid priced ones.
                            A package of 5 in different widths at Wally world for less than 5 beans.
                            My technique is basically quick back n forth strokes to smooth and feather the paint.
                            I dip the brush about quarter way up and don't drag off the bottom layer on the can.
                            Brush one stroke down until paint starts to thin and come right back with the other side of brush in same line followed by the rapid stroking of the brush to smooth and feather.
                            Don't try to cover too large an area at once especial when using acrylics.
                            It's just a matter of developing the skill but it is easier to develop than spraying.
                            Warbird Charlie

Comment

Thanks Charlie I think I found them , Waverly Inspirations 5 pk around $4.50
                              But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Beautiful job Ov10. That takes alot of patience. When painting with a brush I try to do the same as you but never on a surface that large. Always found painting back to a fresh wet area produces the best finish. Mr Michael Angelo Ov10. Love the livery.
                                Dewey l

Comment

I got one of this in the mail and planning on painting mine the same way, how hard was it to strip the old paint and what method did you use?
                                  thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Lcacing View Post
                                    I got one of this in the mail and planning on painting mine the same way, how hard was it to strip the old paint and what method did you use?
                                    thanks
                                    So welcome to the Squawk Lcacing..........
                                    I'm assuming you are refering to my Tigercat so if your gonna paint yours like a drone controller I would hope that you mod it for the second aviator.
                                    I've been known to be stripped while painting but I never strip the factory finish. Serves as a good base coat.
                                    Just recently the Guru of all our new foam toys (Alpha) made comment about leaving the factory finish in place as a base versus having to re-prep bare foam. Solid advice
                                    Warbird Charlie

Comment

Yes^

Comment

Good deal, got the graphics yesterday, not sure if Iíll do the second seat and Iím going with spray paint vs the paint brush and coat of clear polyurethane.

Comment

Working...
                                        X