X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waco motor loss

Father's day flying and the motor on my Dynam Waco just came off !! Can't find it , think its on top of school . Not sure what happened but there are no nuts left in the board .

https://vimeo.com/131366693*

Bryan
    But Crashing is Landing

RE: Waco motor loss

Originally posted by Hippie 64
    Father's day flying and the motor on my Dynam Waco just came off !! Can't find it , think its on top of school . Not sure what happened but there are no nuts left in the board .

https://vimeo.com/131366693*

Bryan
    Quote from Goober on the Andy Griffith show, Mayberry.."Surprise, Surprise, Surprise..."
    Lon

Hanger 9 Spitfire
    Freewing A-10 80mm, F-86 80mm, F-15 90mm, P-51D Iron Ass
    Fliteline P-38L ,Flyzone DHC-2 Beaver Island Wings,Freewing Pandora

Comment

Great job flying Lon !!!
      But Crashing is Landing

Comment

*Hi, Hippie. Did you balance your prop and use Locktite? That's the only thing I can think of for this problem. It looks like the fake radial is still in place. How on earth did the motor get past that? Doc

Comment

Hey Doc , I always balance my props . I get one in , open* , balance* and replace in the bag . It looks like the nut pulled thru the or out of the board . No Locktite on plane at all .The supports screws n nuts have some glue like all my connection screws so to stay tight .
          It came straight out thru the cowl .

Bryan
          Attached Files
          But Crashing is Landing

Comment

WOW!...Wierd!!! Looking at your moter mount, I wonder if the motor over heated, heating the bolts, thus softening the plastic and ZAMMO! The motor took off. I really think that's what happened. Doc

Comment

Not looking forward to cutting out the old to replace it . But I don't see any other way around it. Now I need Dynam stock to replenish so I can have the parts I need . I don't see a few of them listed . Maybe you get with the corresponding pieces.*

Bryan*
              But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings Hippie,

That my friend is the proverbial stump-er!!!
                Very Strange, that it would just "eject" itself.

Best of luck on the repair.

Bill L.
                In Okla.

Comment

I'd be inclined to make a new one out of plywood, blind nuts, and maybe some spacers if needed. It probably wouldn't fail like this one did. Is the thrust angle built into the plastic mount, or the firewall / fuselage?
                  How many flights on the bird?

Comment

Randol as far as I can tell the angle is built into board. Flying only 10-15 flights. *The day I flew it was around 90 . Flew when I did because it was to get hotter but it looks like the nuts pulled threw the plastic. Was thinking of what Doc said it makes sense but I the radial cut back to get good air flow .*
                    I'm hoping for some MRC input or ideas of what happened.*
                    Seems like I'm having a run of bad luck with Dynam lately or maybe I'm missing or doing something wrong.*

Bryan*
                    But Crashing is Landing

Comment

I'd think that motor would have to be smoking hot to transfer enough heat from the motor to the aluminum mount plate, then from the mount plate to the screws. The plastic does look distorted around the holes. If that's the case, probably need to figure out why the motor went Chernobyl. The motor is lost, right?

Comment

Maybe the nuts were over tightened from the factory crushing the plastic allowing them to pull through Just a guess I've had issues with other plastic parts on Dynams mostly control horns.

Comment

Oh yea it's gone , motor, motor mount , prop the whole shaft . It pulled out at the ESC connection plugs and landed on top of the school roof . No way I can get up to look for it . I did look all around just to make sure .*

Bryan*
                          But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings Bryan,

Know any FPV pilots that could take a look-see up on the roof for you?

Bill L.
                            In Okla.

Comment

Hey Rktr , great idea but no one around here. I'm even sure if there are any other pilots in my area . Which sucks because it would be really nice to have others . Been to my club but it's a hour away .*

Bryan*
                              But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings H64,

Bummer!!!

Perhaps you could contact building maintenance and have them keep an eye out for you.
                                I know that, at least for our school, during summer break is when they spend a lot of time on the roof flushing out AC filters/units.

Good Luck,

Bill L.
                                In Okla.

Comment

Hey Rktr ,*

Yea I did that . One guy said he would be happy to check for me . Hope he finds it , it'll give me a spare.*

If you or anyone else puts the new motor setup in the old prop needs to be drilled to fit the shaft . But a quicker n easier way is to order the prop from the Dusty listing . Same prop with the bigger hole already in it . I got the Blue one in yesterday and noticed they both run the same prop and it has the different setup on it .*

Bryan*
                                  But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Greetings H64,

Good Deal....

Glad they're going to look in to it for you..

Good Luck,

Bill L.
                                    In Okla.

Comment

I had a similar problem with mine, but after over 100 flights.* The ESC and motor got so hot that the ESC burned some of the foam in the tunnel it sits in and the motor pulled the bolts right through the motor board.* The holes were distorted from the heat.

I was lucky, mine happened on landing.

I cut out the old plastic motor board and made a new one out of aluminum.* Upgraded the ESC, bolted the original motor in place and it is still flying.

Jim

Comment

Ok new motor and Dave Browns . Be sure if any one else does this to move your battery back some . I didn't and the tail was tough to keep on the ground while landing but flew fine . The new motor set up adds the adapter on the front so there is a little added weight .

https://vimeo.com/133928388***

Bryan
                                        But Crashing is Landing

Comment

Working...
                                        X