X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS P-51B

This is my FMS P-51, covered with Oracal chrome polyester film. The film added about 140 grams to the plane, but it still flies great.

Jim
    Attached Files

Re: FMS P-51B

That's a pretty darn good job on the chrome covering! Where did you find the chrome film?

Comment

It's by Oracal, they make vinyl and polyester film for signs and automotive wraps. I get it on line from Advantage Sign Supply in 15 inch by 10 yard rolls for about $28.00. There are plenty of vendors and I'm sure 3M makes a similar product. A roll will do a few planes. The film is peel and stick, self adhesive and I think it's easier to use than Monokote. You can use heat to work it around tight curves, but it takes a lot less heat than Monokote, so you are less likely to gator skin the foam. The Mustang is the third plane I have used it on. I also used it on a Dynam DC-3 and an FMS 1400 T-28.

Jim
      Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting your idea and the photos. I may give that a shot. I've never used any films such as monokote before, but if I can get that real plane skin look I think it's worth trying.

Thanks again!

Comment

Wow that's really something! Have you got their website?

www.??
          I tried to find it but no luck
          Team Gross!

Comment

I have to give you thanks for turning us on to this product. I have wrapped a few of my planes with Orocal and it really does provide the finishing touch. Like you I used it on the DC-3 and P-51b, using the old Eastern Airlines logo for the DC-3. I accidentally ordered the 2mm film initially, and found it difficult to hide the seams. Using the 1mm product is completely different, able to use small pieces on compound curves and having seams disappear, it is a very cool product.
            I have been also using decals and graphics from a vendor called Pinupsplus for authentic WW11 noseart. They can be made with waterslide or vinyl, white or clear background, and very affordable.

Wings over California, CT

Comment

If anyone wants to try this film, here is a vendor I found that will sell it by the yard.

http://www.uscutter.com/Oracal-751-24-By-The-Yard

To give you an idea of how it helps protect a foam plane, I purchased a Durafly SkyMule, but hated the decals that came on the plane. Even though if is not a replica of any real plane it is close to some and close enough for me to wrap it and decorate it in a fantasy USAF scheme.

Last week I lost a prop just as I was taking off, full throttle, and the plane cartwheeled in coming to rest upside down. From where I was, I figured I'd be scrapping that plane, it was the most violent crash I have had in a long time. It was so bad at time you could see the USAF on the bottom of the wing, via a camera on top of the fuselage.
              When I checked the plane, the only real work was to re glue a nacelle back on a wing and repair some compression wrinkles on the nose.

https://vimeo.com/99490708

I firmly believe the vinyl film helped keep this plane from becoming a box full of foam bits.

Jim
              Attached Files

Comment

I'd love to try it, went to the suggested website, they have 81 colors, none of them is chrome. what number are you using?
                Team Gross!

Comment

Advantage Sign, input Oracal Polyester on their home page to narrow their inventory to view,
                  ORACAL® 352 Print Polyester Vinyl Chrome 15" x 10 yards $28.00
                  They have 2 Chrome products, make sure to use the 1 mil and not the 2 mil.
                  CT

Comment

I used the 351 1mil thick for my Mustang,

http://www.uscutter.com/ORACAL-351-Metallized-Polyester-15-x-10-Yard-Roll

http://www.advantagesgs.com/Oracal-351-Metallized-Polyester-Chrome-1-mil-15-x-10-yards

Jim

Comment

That by-the-yard mat'l you cited is the 751 series, not the 351 1-mil preferred stuff, & the vendor doesn't show the mil-thickness anywhere in the specs provided. Do you know how thick it is? Thinking about conformance issues.

Comment

The 351 is the metalized chrome, not vinyl. I think it is a Mylar based film. Very thin, but a little harder to work with than the vinyl.

The 751 series is 2 mil and I think very easy to work with. It comes in a lot of useful colors, but not in metallic.

hope this helps.

Jim

Comment

This is really interesting. I've been using trim monokote to customize planes as I'm not interested in painting. But, the monokote is heavy and doesn't conform to anything but flat or nearly flat surfaces very well.

I'm going to give this stuff a try... care to share any application techniques? Do you tack the edges and use a low-temp heat gun to tighten it?

I'd appreciate any tips you care to share. Thanks for the information!

Brad

Comment

Working...
                          X