X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Showing off

I just had to show off our field here in Lenexa Kansas. Here are a few photos of the field, flight line, and a small part of our electric war bird contingent. The big P-40 in the group photo is a CMP plane with a 70ish inch wing span and powered with a 8S pack. The Ki-61 (Tony) is my plane in this group. The aerial photo is one I shot a number of years ago with a FlyCam2 unit mounted to a Ascent park flier. The flight line shot was just a day in March, nothing special going on. For those who are interested, you can see these and other photos on our Facebook page. Just look for ShawneeRC or Shawnee Mission Radio Contorl Club.

Ron
    Attached Files

Re: Showing off

Greetings Ron,

WOW!!!

That looks like a field Tiger Woods might fly from!!!!

That is simply a georgeous location and facility.

I have made a few business trip to Lenexa in the past and never know about the club or facility there.
    Congratulations and enjoy a facility to be very proud of. <smiley image="smiley_good.gif"/>

Clear Skies

Bill L.
    in Okla.

Comment

Please excuse my tongue!!!!!
      Drool!!!!

Grossman56
      Team Gross!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words, the club and I appreciate it. There is a lot of hard work and a few dollars put into this place to make it this way. We have our issues like most fields, mainly being close to a main road and a lot of trees and ticks. Can't fly anywhere close to the road due to the possible collision between plane and car/people. And we HAVE to fly over the forest for at least half of the pattern. With trees reaching 60'+ in height and a very healthy tick population, this is no place you want a plane to go down. We like to say, "If you can fly here, you can fly anywhere". This has proven to be mostly true for our members, however the reverse is also true with guests being a bit intimidated by the trees and out-of-bounds areas we have to deal with.

Thanks again

Comment

Rocket man,

If you happen to head up this way sometime, give me a shout and we can see if we can get you out and fly. I'm sure we can set you up with something.

Comment

Greetings Ron,

Appreciated and noted.

Thanks,

Bill L.
            in Okla.

Comment

I am very envious of your nice looking field as I am sure the majority of us are. Most have old farm lands with tall corn stalks, tobacco plants along the border, or are using parking lots or schools yards that have access. The trees however are indeed intimidating if you have to fly over them. I like that you have the Japanese Ki-61 Tony as that is very unusual. What kit is that plane? Is that a "matt" covering are you using for the runways?

Comment

Hello Baron. The KI-61 is the Kyosho ARF which has a printed covering. It has panel lines and riviets.

The main runway is a fabric material that most folks call Petromat. It is the same stuff used as an underlaymnet for asphalt. We put this in back in 1999 and have replaced it three times since then. It is due for replacement next spring. We have drain tiles laid on either side of the runway that collects water and sends it down to a drainage ditch off the end of the runway. Another thing we've done was to lay about 6" of gravel under the mat to stabilize the soil and keep it relatively smooth. We also have a grass runway next to the mat which is kept mowed very short (1.5"). Only the very small planes can't land there. All in all, we have it pretty good.

Comment

Hi Ron!

That sure looks like a nice field to fly at even with the trees. I belong to the Radio Signal Modelers in Chicago. We fly at Schiller Park Woods and have our own dedicated field. The forest preserve district this summer made us part of their beautification program and put in a 300' x 50' asphalt runway for us, so we have been flying at other club sites. The official opening is not till first week of October while the new grass next to the runway has a chance to take. Our field to is surrounded by 60' trees on three sides and a major street on one side, so it can fun at times. There are photos on you tube of the field and the work. If your ever in the area come fly with us we are a friendly bunch. Can't wait to get back to our field. Good flying.

Roy B.

Comment

Boomer, Great to hear the park is willing to invest in your club. Looks like you'll be flying soon. The county park commission has been more receptive to helping us out since there was a change to the board and one our members works for the park. They've help spray for ticks and seeding the runway so things are going well.

Comment

Hello Sir, Wow, that's a beautiful setup for RC. Just wanted to compliment on a nice place to fly, thanks for sharing. Matt, Motion RC Team Customer Service.

Comment

Ron, fantastic location! I love the Hien, too. Great airplane in so many ways.

Comment

Working...
                        X