Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bob Symes View Post

Thanks Ole-Timer,
    i gave all the doldeting gear and plugs, just checking to see if there was a plug and play solution
    Cheers
    Bob
    Fat fingers today!!!
    have soldering gear etc
    Cheers
    Bob

Comment

I’m so used to adapting anything to everything, connector changes are a way of life.
      I have a dedicated stand to solder on with a removable fan for the window. I stock every thing that I need to avoid trips to the store.
      I do 95% of my soldering with a Bernzomatic torch, refillable with butane. All jigged up so it won’t move until cooled of.

Click image for larger version  Name:	F1E92C76-6585-40DC-93C7-008EC1BBFCF9.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	123784
      Click image for larger version  Name:	333F56DB-46DC-47E4-A5F8-2A61E6175EB4.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	131.9 KB ID:	123785

Flew the AT-6 today in a fair crosswind, handled it very well indeed!

Comment

Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
        I’m so used to adapting anything to everything, connector changes are a way of life.
        I have a dedicated stand to solder on with a removable fan for the window. I stock every thing that I need to avoid trips to the store.
        I do 95% of my soldering with a Bernzomatic torch, refillable with butane. All jigged up so it won’t move until cooled of.

Click image for larger version Name:	F1E92C76-6585-40DC-93C7-008EC1BBFCF9.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	42.3 KB ID:	123784
        Click image for larger version Name:	333F56DB-46DC-47E4-A5F8-2A61E6175EB4.jpeg Views:	1 Size:	131.9 KB ID:	123785

Flew the AT-6 today in a fair crosswind, handled it very well indeed!
        Fantastic re the flying in crosswind
        i have an old butane torch my dad had, not used it as have been all electric solder experience, may have to as it takes a while to heat the heavy gauge wires with electric, picked up a set of extra hands several months ago which helps a lot. Like your block of wood with the holes for holding the pins. I have used a block of wood with holes when changing motor shafts but not for soldering. Will be setting one up for future soldering.

Comment

After receiving my AT-6 from MRC I started my conversion to my favorite SNJ. Doing this was fun seeing it change over to a Navy paint scheme. I used graphics from Callie Graphics. She is great to work with. I changed out stock wheels for Robarts following Pilots Ryan instructions on the RCGroups thread for this plane. I do have to remember to cover the plane with a white towel this summer in the pits to avoid the dreaded foam surface alligatoring. Unfortunately I live in Minnesota so I to wait for Spring to arrive. They are calling for 6 inches of snow tomorrow, yech! Can't wait to maiden this amazing plane. Larry
          Last edited by At6 Flyer; Apr 13, 2018, 03:07 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Very nice AT6 Flyer! I like your changes. I have the stock EFlite AT-6. and it is a sweet flying plane. I've always been fond of the yellow, sliver and red paint scheme I've seen on some, but for now, I will just fly her as she is. For me, I like the stock set up with 3S power. I have used up to a 4500mAH 3S battery in her, and she did fine with it. Plus, I had over 10 minutes flight time with that battery! My standard battery in this one is a 3300mAH Admiral. Balances perfectly with it all the way forward. The 4500 is a Hobby People battery, and I have to move it slightly to the rear, but still works great.

Comment

I have a couple questions I'm hoping folks can help me with. First is the flap settings. Manual says to add 4 percent and 6 percent of UP elevator. Is that correct? Second are the throws. To get the high rate throw of 20mm on the ailerons I had to move the linkage position. Has anyone done that and ha e to adjust the gains?

​​​​​​thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Chalredline1 View Post
                I have a couple questions I'm hoping folks can help me with. First is the flap settings. Manual says to add 4 percent and 6 percent of UP elevator. Is that correct? Second are the throws. To get the high rate throw of 20mm on the ailerons I had to move the linkage position. Has anyone done that and ha e to adjust the gains?

​​​​​​thanks
                Hi Chalredline1,
                i have found with previous planes when setting up the flap system(I have Spektrum DX9) that you have to put in the elevator setting at a plus value( gives down elevator). Best Check is to dial in say 25 to 30 % elevator and then look closely at which way your elevator moves when you flick your flaps to take off and landing.
                i have yet to set up this on my AT6, am still working on the 4S upgrade with Flightline 880kv motor.
                cheers
                Bob

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0248.JPG
Views:	471
Size:	242.6 KB
ID:	130139 I've been eyeing one of those T-6's but then start comparing T-28's.
                  since my dad was an instructor in both, I would like to have USAF versions, maybe even find some old photos of his squadron for Callie graphics reproductions.
                  But I have 3 models yet to build, I have 4 (soon 6) airplanes ready to fly, and don't want to attract any more attention in the hangar from the GF!
                  Especially when one of the builds is for her - she wants to learn to fly a Gentle Lady, and she wants me to get the Ryan done before I work on hers.
                  I'm pretty lucky, but anyone got a creative way to sneak a 50" model into the hangar unnoticed?:Not-Talking:

Comment

Well, if you have a good size window you could build it and set it nose into the window like someone else flew it into the house. Just a thought:Thinking:

Comment

Bob, what is confusing to me is the manual wants you to program in up elevator when deploying flaps which seems counter to what I typically would expect .I believe when I entered a positive number for elevator I got up elevator trim when I deployed the flaps. Had to enter a negative number to give down trim

Comment

You could have the AT6 Texan delivered to a mates place. As it comes in three pieces, fuse, wing and tail horizontal stabiliser you could easily fit the stabiliser with supplied 2 screws and then on your way home from a day flying pick it up as if it was one you had taken to the field. You can fit the wing in a couple of minutes with the supplied 4 screws(it has quick connect for controls) or leave the wing off for transport depending on vehicle space and unload it into the hanger as normal upon return from a day of flying.
                        good luck

Comment

You could have the AT6 Texan delivered to a mates place. As it comes in three pieces, fuse, wing and tail horizontal stabiliser you could easily fit the stabiliser with supplied 2 screws and then on your way home from a day flying pick it up as if it was one you had taken to the field. You can fit the wing in a couple of minutes with the supplied 4 screws(it has quick connect for controls) or leave the wing off for transport depending on vehicle space and unload it into the hanger as normal upon return from a day of flying.
                          good luck
                          When you have a

She
                          Who
                          Must
                          Be
                          Obeyed

and have to hide your hobby purchases...

LOL
                          FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

good luck
                            Now yer' talkin sense!

Comment

Bob, what is confusing to me is the manual wants you to program in up elevator when deploying flapse the manual which seems counter to what I typically would expect .I believe when I entered a positive number for elevator I got up elevator trim when I deployed the flaps. Had to enter a negative number to give down trim
                              Chalredline,
                              not sure, just download the manual at work and you are right. Has to be a typo!
                              i will check what happens when I set mine up and will ring our Aussie distributes for a check as well

Comment

Chalredline,
                                not sure, just download the manual at work and you are right. Has to be a typo!
                                i will check what happens when I set mine up and will ring our Aussie distributes for a check as well
                                The settings could be specific to how the receiver has been set up. Check the control surface movement with the manual percentages. I have not had much luck with the AR636 receivers with safe mode in the past, almost lost my Sukhoi 29 due to lack of elevator movement, only way I could get it down was to drop power and do wide circle spiral. Local distributor did not really shine any light on the AT6 manual, just indicated that was what is needed to adjust for change when applying the flaps.
                                anyone out there that has flown the AT6 got any info on the flap mix to use?
                                Bob

Comment

If I plug in +4% and +6% per the manual when I deploy the flaps I get down elevator not up elevator

talked to horizon and it should give down elevator when the flaps are deployed which makes sense .

Comment

That's exactly how my AT-6 is set up. +4 & +6. That gives me a slight nose down pitch when I deploy the flaps.

Comment

If I plug in +4% and +6% per the manual when I deploy the flaps I get down elevator not up elevator

talked to horizon and it should give down elevator when the flaps are deployed which makes sense .
                                      Great news,
                                      still confusing how the manual is written.
                                      should have mine ready to maiden in a couple of weeks
                                      Thanks Chalredline
                                      Regards
                                      Bob

Comment

Well, it's on the way - taking advantage of the markdown. BNF version.

Not flying off grass - still need retract upgrade?

After bashing the Carbon Cub nose on Friday, I applied the Minwax Polycryllic over the whole plane after all the repairs and paint touch ups. The added rigidity is quite impressive, so I will plan on 2 coats of that with a detail gun before assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by F22trainer View Post
                                          Well, it's on the way - taking advantage of the markdown. BNF version.

Not flying off grass - still need retract upgrade?

After bashing the Carbon Cub nose on Friday, I applied the Minwax Polycryllic over the whole plane after all the repairs and paint touch ups. The added rigidity is quite impressive, so I will plan on 2 coats of that with a detail gun before assembly.
                                          Has anyone completed a retract upgrade? If so some details on parts used and photos would be much appreciated
                                          Cheers
                                          Bob

Comment

Working...
                                          X