Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrived today, assembled and tried to set up TX/RX etc. Spektrum_Transmitter DX6.
    can’t get the gear down, reciever fell out of the glue tray. SAFE / AS3X won’t work except when I go to System Setup Menu.
    Guess I will be calling HH tomorrow...
    Monitor showed proper switch movements to assigned channels. Flaps, ailerons, elevator, throttle and rudder all work.
    Used he TX set up in directions and started with a new model.
    Figured I would get the setup done before I applied the Polycryllic...glad I did. Sounds like she might be going back.

Comment

Awe man, I hope its something simple they can point you to over the phone. Sucks man, sorry to hear that. :(

Comment

Didn’t have to call HH. Between mine and another pair of sharp eyes, we found it. Watch the wing connector folks - sometimes they push out when you attach the wing. Disabled AS3X, but substitute low rates. Works Great flies great!

Comment

Heck yeah man! That's what I love about this hobby, never a time when you're out of the fight when you have fellow hobbiest and a second look at the problem. One way or another things tend to work out, and the problem is eliminated.

Comment

Today I even raised the gear and tested the flap settings - got 3 flights, two were in calm wind.

Comment

As of today, the fun truly begins

Comment

Originally posted by rifleman_btx View Post
                As of today, the fun truly begins
                I felt that when I put the gear up and did the first “Victory Roll”.

The flap settings and elevator mix were spot ON!

And, I learned the undesirable tip stall speed on landing, dang it- first wing drag and scuff.

Comment

Awe man, one thing you need to remember with war birds, come in kinda nose down or atleast level, and hold before you flare about when you can put about 6" to a foot between your main wheels and the ground. Then just let her ride down on the flare to touchdown. So far that technique hasn't let me down yet and I've had picture perfect landings every time since I started doing my landings this way, with trike gear or tail dragger. Also never use the elevator to adjust altitude throttle is key in landings, the elevator for angle of attack on approach only. Hope this will help you, awesome you got it all going!

Comment

Awe man, one thing you need to remember with war birds, come in kinda nose down or atleast level, and hold before you flare about when you can put about 6" to a foot between your main wheels and the ground. Then just let her ride down on the flare to touchdown. So far that technique hasn't let me down yet and I've had picture perfect landings every time since I started doing my landings this way, with trike gear or tail dragger. Also never use the elevator to adjust altitude throttle is key in landings, the elevator for angle of attack on approach only. Hope this will help you, awesome you got it all going!
                    Roger that rifleman, my coach was telling me he same thing - I just flared and chopped throttle at same time when I should have left the little bit of power and let it slow while settling under power.
                    Looking forward to next flights!
                    Flying full size taught me both techniques - now I just gottta teach my thumbs how to flare and land with a little power.

Always seeking the perfect landing - just stall the airplane at the same time the wheels touch the ground, right?

Comment

There ya go! It's even harder to remember in fpv goggles. But then you start to thinking, it's like even though you have all this tech behind you, never can lose the basics, or those basics will come up and eat you alive!

Comment

So who has had gear issues with this plane. Got 2 flights this morning - neither was a hard or side load landing. On third flight gear went up, only one came down. Made a couple of slow passes and tried to get them down, and with just enough battery to make one more go around, I raised the gear and had to belly in.
                        No damage, save for the scoop which will re-attach with glue into the foam and screw sleeves. Put gear switch down and they worked fine -2 more cycles and no problems. Up / down no binding, no kinks, clicks, ticks or hesitation.
                        Any ideas? After I reglue the scoop I remove the wing and check the wiring.

Comment

May try loosinging the mount screws just a tick on the retracts. I may have to do the same with the new retract on my T28. It was sticking at first. But it started working ok after a while. But it wouldn't fully retract. Luckily it would go to full lock down position. So I am gonna try the same with mine as well.

Comment

I had the same issue on my E-Flite P-47 (third flight after 2 greased landings) which resulted in messing up my meticulously detailed rocket tubes and bombs. I took both gear out lubed the jackshafts with the white dry silicone spray and reassembled. The few flights I've had since have been uneventful but I still don't fully trust them.
                            UMX: B-17, PT-17, P-47, A-10, Habu. E-Flite: Sportsman, Timber, Spitfire, P-47. Flyzone f-86 64 mm, Dynam Albatros, Flyzone Zero Select, Freewing B-17, Hobby Zone F4-U Corsair

Comment

So after my gear incident last week, and being reluctant to raise the gear, I checked it out top to bottom and could not find anything amiss. Made sure they were operating smoothly, and decided to try them again.
                              Also I could not help but wonder what I need do to get the SAFE mode to activate when the gear come down, so I decided to try and re-bind to make SAFE active in the reciever. That said I did the Bind with the plug out as intended, but assigning a switch had no result. So for the heck of it, I held the model and raised the gear and presto SAFE was OFF! Gear down SAFE ON!
                              Since I was determined to get some practice landing this warbird, I was quite pleased. Doing several batteries with just gear down, I got some good repetition on landing approach with touch and go / no flaps, a less than perfect partial flap landing, and then 3 very nice landings with full flaps. After watching some videos which pointed out the plane does not tip stall with full flaps, I had to try it out and sure enough. First 2 batteries I did not raise the gear and just did the pattern, but the next 3 batteries we began having some fun. I did make sure I slowed her down good before throwing out the gear.
                              Anyway, not sure how I did it but got the result with the AS3X mode...now if only the gear keep working I will enjoy these days off through the weekend.
                              Thanx all of ya for the help and encouragement with this first warbird.
                              :Goodbye:

Comment

You know that's 90% of how I figure things out. No idea how it happened, it just works and I'm very happy about it. LOL that does pump me up that you got the bird doing exactly what you wanted. Heck yeah brother:Cool:

Comment

Seems all my landing s with this bird are the same - ‘bunny hop’ followed by a ground loop or a pretty nice touch down followed by a ground loop, yeeeesch. Tickin’ me off.:Scared:

Comment

Dang man, almost sounds like you're kinda forcing it down. I would guess the gear is straight and not a problem? I would check the wheels and make sure they are spinning free, if they are, and everything is straight, try getting the touchdown speed lower. You're gonna get this.

Comment

Dang man, almost sounds like you're kinda forcing it down. I would guess the gear is straight and not a problem? I would check the wheels and make sure they are spinning free, if they are, and everything is straight, try getting the touchdown speed lower. You're gonna get this.
                                      Yah, I can land the PT-17 and the Cub and keep them straight on the roll out, even my squirrelly 3 channel trainer with “aile-rudder” steering stays straight on the runway. I got a new retract on the way - I think that may have something to do with it. Has a small swivel / shimmy that the grub screws will not keep in check. Figured I would get a spare on the way before I try to disassemble it and find a cure...if there is one.
                                      Still not certain ground handling is dialed in correct as rudder moves properly but I get very little right turn on the ground (full up elevator), Wheels are super smooth - I always make sure they spin very freely - sometimes I add Teflon sleeves when necessary but none needed here. I think I may have multiple small adjustments needed in addition to more practice, but my touch and goes had only one “bounce and go” today. Didn’t bother to even raise the gear and kept 1/2 flaps all the way around a tight pattern. Set up a high final approach, power to 1/3, nose down after slowing until reaching ground effect, slight flare to level and gradual back down on throttle, slow sink and touch power to idle and ‘whap’ - ground loop. Steering with rudder only.

I appreciate the help and coaching Rifleman, I think we’re close.

Comment

I agree, worst case just swap out that retract, I almost 100% sure that has to be the cause. Just alittle towe change will create enough frictional drag to loop it.

Comment

• I've been debating this AT-6 as a second plane for some time despite warnings that it might be too big a leap from my Apprentice. Yesterday, while watching a club member fly his, he offered to let me fly it. I jumped at the chance. After a smooth and easy takeoff on our 1/2" grass field, I flew around the perimeter and did some figure 8's 3 mistakes high, then brought it down to about 25' for some mid-speed passes and approaches with 1/2 flaps. He wanted me to land advising to "fly it to the ground - no throttle cut and flair", but I didn't want to risk damaging his plane so he landed. Just a beautiful looking plane, easy to fly, no bad tendencies and a wide flight envelope. I'm sold and doubts are resolved! Ordering tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                          X