Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​ Since nobody has posted anything for awhile, I will provide the bump...

Did not like the larger 3 in wheels and actually went down to 2.25 - foam would need to be trimmed for the 3in to stop getting hung, just a little rubbing enough to create an occasional jam.
    Thought I would spruce up the propeller also.

Comment

• We went with the 2.75" They fit perfectly. The only modding needed was to shorten the axels.

Comment

• I'm pretty much finished with my own conversion of the E-Flite AT-6 into a Tora Tora Tora Zero, as accurately as I could, having done a bunch of research. First flight was yesterday with a couple after that, plus several more today. In addition to the physical modifications, it has a new motor and ESC as well.

In case you didn't see it, I did a build log on RCG, which not only shows what I did, but includes a lot of reference photos from 1969: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...lite-1-5m-AT-6

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4695.JPG Views:	0 Size:	249.9 KB ID:	203674Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4696.JPG Views:	0 Size:	289.7 KB ID:	203675Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4694.JPG Views:	0 Size:	287.4 KB ID:	203676Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4693.JPG Views:	0 Size:	296.5 KB ID:	203677 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4662.JPG
Views:	602
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	203678

Comment

• Just dayum...
          truly well done Smoothie, bet she flies as good as she looks. I don’t get on RCG too much, but I will definitely look for the build log.

Comment

• Nicely done Smoothy! My Tora Zero has been slow going but should be ready for paint shortly, maybe a month :Silly:or two!

Comment

• WOW that's pretty slick. I need to check out your build

Mike
              \"When Inverted Down Is Up And Up Is Expensive\"

Comment

• A lot of people had bad motors in the Eflite AT-6 -appears to be bad bearings. IF you get one, test before flying with full runups. Motor currently out of stock- gee, wonder why? It is a bit twitchy on takeoff as it wants to ground loop- just apply right rudder a bit and punch it. Might be good candidate for BL15 upgrade motor.

Comment

• Since I replaced my stock motor, I guess I should put mine up for sale -- sure somebody can use it.

Comment

• Originally posted by speed2004 View Post
                    A lot of people had bad motors in the Eflite AT-6 -appears to be bad bearings. IF you get one, test before flying with full runups. Motor currently out of stock- gee, wonder why? It is a bit twitchy on takeoff as it wants to ground loop- just apply right rudder a bit and punch it. Might be good candidate for BL15 upgrade motor.
                    I must have been hiding under a rock - first I have heard of this. Been flying mine over a year and still going fine.

If you want scale takeoffs, keep up elevator and half throttle until it is rolling near flight speed, relax the elevator and allow the tail to come up and add a fair amount of right rudder to keep it straight. It an almost simultaneous left turn as soon as you release the elevator. She should lift off with just a tad more power. If you use SAFE mode the “punch it” technique will work also as it may not have enough right rudder to keep it pointed where you want. Kinda like the golfer that plays the slice...

Comment

• Originally posted by Ole-Timer View Post
                      Yep, I just took a look at the post. Indeed I pulled the aluminum mount off. I would have used a soldering iron to heat the screws first. It is hard to extract fasteners installed with red permanent thread lock.
                      Im sorry to hear of your plight and have had similar issues at times. The 880Kv motor I used was one I had on hand so it was easy to ensure the prop shaft was adequately long. I do not recollect having any significant issues on the motor mod. What you could do is make a plywood stand off spacer, leave the aluminum mount on the motor, and adapt the spacer to both firewall and mount. I’d be finding a way to percevere no matter what my course of action is.

Any chance you can post pictures of how you did your mod, I have everything needed you said in post 50 but everything has been sitting for 5-6 months because of no update on this.

Comment

• Originally posted by wvrailfan View Post
                        Finished the wrap on this plane, with help from Callie. With a little luck I will maiden this weekend. The scheme is actually a little on the boring side, but I like stuff with a local flavor. The up side is, it should be easy to see against about any sky;-)

Jim
                        Jim, where can I source an antenna and radome like you have? Thanks!

-Tom

Comment

• Has anyone found a color match for the blue on the E-flite AT-6? If so please post the maker and color code. Need to touch up the vertical stab. I know I could take a part to Lowes, Home Depot etc. but the plane is assembled, flies perfectly and I clear coated it after assembly, so I'd prefer not to start taking it apart. Thought about removing the cowl but its plastic so the hue is different than the blue on the foam and computer color match would likely be off. Thanks in advance for your replies

Comment

• Originally posted by ICM View Post
                            Has anyone found a color match for the blue on the E-flite AT-6? If so please post the maker and color code. Need to touch up the vertical stab. I know I could take a part to Lowes, Home Depot etc. but the plane is assembled, flies perfectly and I clear coated it after assembly, so I'd prefer not to start taking it apart. Thought about removing the cowl but its plastic so the hue is different than the blue on the foam and computer color match would likely be off. Thanks in advance for your replies
                            I picked some various sample cards I thought were close - from the wall o’ swatches. Took them home and found one that matched, had them mix a pint and done.

Comment

• I did the same with a bunch of swatches from Lowes and none matched. Where did you get your swatches and do you remember the color name and brand of paint?

Comment

Has anyone found a color match for the blue on the E-flite AT-6? If so please post the maker and color code. Need to touch up the vertical stab. I know I could take a part to Lowes, Home Depot etc. but the plane is assembled, flies perfectly and I clear coated it after assembly, so I'd prefer not to start taking it apart. Thought about removing the cowl but its plastic so the hue is different than the blue on the foam and computer color match would likely be off. Thanks in advance for your replies
                                I picked some various sample cards I thought were close - from the wall o’ swatches. Took them home and found one that matched, had them mix a pint and done.

Comment

• Thanks, but again, I also brought back a number of sample cards from Lowes but none matched, so where did you get your sample cards and do you remember the color name and brand of paint?

Comment

Thanks, but again, I also brought back a number of sample cards from Lowes but none matched, so where did you get your sample cards and do you remember the color name and brand of paint?
                                    I believe I gathered swatches from both Lowe’s and True Value and had TV mix the colors I wanted. Pantone is my usual swatch library. Was doing touch ups on 3 airplanes. You’ll never get a perfect match unless you are experienced in doing that yourself or pay someone that is. Some color match systems are better than others. Best bet is get as close as possible, then paint the whole area instead of trying to spot touch and match - and I make that recommendation as the guy who gets paid to do those spot touch ups on museum pieces or trade show exhibitions.

Comment

• Thanks F22.

Comment

• I got my T-6 built and added a radial engine. I was going to install a radome that I got from Shapeways but it turned out to be way to small for scale so I left it off.

Click image for larger version

Name:	resIMG_2554.jpg
Views:	398
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	224762Click image for larger version

Name:	resIMG_2559.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	224763

Comment

• Kmot Your radial transforms the model! Where did you get the radial? Parkflyer Plastics? 3D Printed? Fabricated from scratch? I'm viewing these photos on my phone, but I think I see very fine lines which would indicate it's a 3D print. Whatever it is, it looks great!
                                          Live Q&A every Tuesday and Friday at 9pm EST on my Twitch Livestream

Live chat with me and other RC Nuts on my Discord

Camp my Instagram @Alpha.Makes

Comment

Working...
                                          X