X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TiredIronGRB View Post
    I'm off until after New Years and have a B-24, F-105 and a UMX T-28 coming...I'll be in the hangar day and night!
    I've gotta work 'til Friday. :Crying2:

Comment

I'm off until after New Years and have a B-24, F-105 and a UMX T-28 coming...I'll be in the hangar day and night!
      Me too!!! But I have a FMS P-47 and an LX F-4-F in the box. An HSD A1H that needs about a day.... Then the F-105, the F-8, and the B-24!!!! I should be building a new shop for housing these instead of opening the boxes!!! Oh the problems we endure!!! LOL. But really, we are all so blessed!! The best gift of all is JESUS!! And HE is the Reason for the Season!! All the other stuff is just a bonus!! Merry Christmas to all of you!!!!!!! Jerry

Comment

• And I neglected to mention the A-10 on the kitchen counter that I am putting extra lighting in.... Had to move it to get to the computer.... OLD AGE!! and Beer....:Confused:

Comment

• You have too many new planes.... let me send you my address.

Comment

• So true Jerry
            TiredIron Aviation
            Tired Iron Military Vehicles

Comment

• Send that address!!! I can share!!! :-)

Comment

• I am sure you probably would Jerry. You need to build some planes bro.

Comment

• Thank you Bro!!! I really appreciate you!

Comment

• Sounds familiar! I'm not sure where the 24 will work out in my modding schedule.. I'm still working on my A-10! And my Hobbyking C-47, XC-142 VTOL, 110mm F-106, repairing my Bearcat, modding my F-86, and that's just the airplanes ! I've still got a 600 size OH-58A, 500 UH-1C, 500 size H-34, a 700 Bell 525, and a 470 Cobra all waiting on the bench. Ever since I moved to TX, projects have been building up since I don't get all winter to build like I did I in MN. Not that I'm complaining LOL.

Comment

• Sounds like a good problem to have to me. I have been trying to get some of my projects caught up by being a good boy and not buying more. I'm saving myself for hopefully a big twin 80mm super scale F-4 or maybe something from JHH...

Comment

• I am watching Baa Baa Black Sheep season 1. I really missed seeing that show on TV. Amazing what you can buy on Amazon!! LOL

Comment

• Sorry that was so random..... Listing all the projects to do would give me time to finish at least one!!! HA!!!! 106, glad you are in Texas! Met you in Grapevine at the Snowball...

Comment

• Originally posted by Hardway View Post
                            Sorry that was so random..... Listing all the projects to do would give me time to finish at least one!!! HA!!!! 106, glad you are in Texas! Met you in Grapevine at the Snowball...
                            Was great to meet you there as well Hardway! Hope to see you there again next year or at some of the other Warbird events around DFW!

Comment

• Received my shipping notice. Mine will be here Friday. :) Very pleasant surprise, plus I'll be home to get the package.

Comment

It's just hard to tell in the old photos but here's one that has red cowls and rudders, it also has the gray belly...more than likely had red wingtips as well.

I appreciate your attention to detail, even if these are just foamies and won't be in any big contests in the future. I am the same way. I like details, even if no one else will appreciate them, but I will. Your b&w photo of the B-24 is one from the 445th BG based out of Tibenham, Norfolk, England. I'm pretty familiar with this paint scheme as my dad flew with the 446th BG at that time. Both bomb groups left within a couple of weeks of each other to ferry the planes over to England from the USA. This was the first paint scheme markings they used, and were pretty bland. I can tell this photo was probably taken before March 1944, as that is when they started adding the two-letter squadron markings on the aft fuselage. I doubt that at this time the nacelles or wingtips were painted red, though.
                                Here's a trivia question for you sharpies out there: "What was the significance of the number "9" on the left outboard engine??"

Comment

• Check out this article which delves deeply into the various color schemes for Witchcraft. The WWII Witchcraft had a #3 painted on the inside of the right inboard engine cowl, apparently to help the top turret gunner "get his bearings" (I don't understand why) but it did not have a #9 painted on the inside of the left outboard engine cowl.

The B24 in the picture above (previous post) has a #9.... and the Collins Foundation's Witchcraft does have a #9 there, maybe someone can inform us why.
                                  Marc flies FW & FL: AL37, MiG-29, T45,F4, A4, A10, F104 70 and 90, P38, Dauntless SBD, Corsair, B17, B24, B26 & P61, Lipp.P19, ME262, Komets, Vampire, SeaVixen, FMS Tigercat, FOX Glider & Radian XL.

Rabid Models foamies, including my 8' B17 & 9' B36... and my Mud Ducks! www.rabidmodels.com

Comment

• Bogey 3 O'clock ! Bogey 9 O'clock ! nose 12 tail your 6

Comment

• Regarding the question I posed on the #9 on the left outboard engine and a number 3 on the right outward engine was to assist the top turret gunner in calling out enemy aircraft position (like a horizontal clock with 12 o’clock ahead of the plane). To my knowledge this was used early in with the 445th BG but I don’t know if any other groups used this aid on their planes.

Comment

• TI Ever able to locate the source for 2.25" dia. Nose wheel ?
                                        Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
                                        Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
                                        I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

• Just joined the blog. I have wanted to get into RC airplanes for quite some time, but moving around in the USN for 27 years did not lend itself to it. Although I have never flown an RC airplane, I want to get into the hobby (I have modeled for years).

RC Motion send me a pre-order email on this and I was very excited to see a B-24. I looked at the decal sheets available from the other site. I was very excited to see that the Queen Ann was included from the Jolly Rogers in the Pacific (skull and crossbones on the tail). My dad flew in her as the engineer, and I would like to buy the plane to have when I work myself up to being able to fly something like that. I have all of dad's squadron books from when he served. Some of them even had the little cut outs where the intelligence people did not want pictures of the latest radars in the squadron books, so they took razor blades and cut them out of the pictures! There are pictures of the Queen Ann and the crew in the squadron books.

Do you guys think it would be too much to take on, then save until I would be experienced enough to fly this beauty?

------

I forgot to add, in many discussions with Dad (he passed away in 2012) we spoke of his time in the Pacific and the B-24. He said that the all the earlier planes they had were painted green, but later on as the newer planes came over in the bare aluminum, they did not paint them as they found out they were faster without the paint - hence the silver color planes. On one mission, the first to ever bomb the fuel depot in Palau, after the bombing run, all the planes broke formation and flew home as quickly as possible. Dad's plane was the first to arrive, and in doing so were filmed by Stars and Stripes, and the crew all received free beer!

Comment

Working...
                                          X