X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/10th Scale Westcraft B-17G Electric Conversion

Howdy all!! We have a B-17G by Westcraft that is currently running on four (4) Saito .82 four strokes (cycle) engines. I am about to start the conversion to electric, along with a new livery and scale details for the upcoming B-17 Gathering and Fly-In at Bomber Field in September. www.bomberfieldusa.com. SEPT 19 through SEPT 22, 2018. So stay tuned. A ton of work and short time to get 'er done!! :Cool:

These pics are from 2008 at Monaville, TX. We won first place at the B-17 Gathering that year!

Comment

This is the livery I am going to try to replicate this time around. "DREAMBABY" 42-32025
      B-17G-35-BO

Comment

Delivered Cheyenne 15/1/44; Gr Island 30/1/44; Assigned 533BS/381BG [VP-P] Ridgewell 25/2/44; 73+m; transferred 34BG Mendelsham, Sfk; was the first 8AF bomber to complete 100 missions with no ever abort, to Gelsenkirchen 11/1/44, with Bruce Mills, Co-pilot: Carl Shedlock, Navigator: John McCray, Bombardier: Jim Whitney, Flight engineer/top turret gunner: Delmer Menger, Radio Operator: Joe Cooper, Ball turret gunner: Jim Boston, Waist gunner: Lucas Conner,Tail gunner: Bill Beddard; Returned to the USA 121 BU Bradley 23/6/45; 4168 Base Unit, South Plains, Texas 21/10/45; Reconstruction Finance Corporation (sold for scrap metal in USA) Kingman 20/12/45. DREAMBABY.

Comment

To replace the Saito .82 engines, I have ordered E-flite Power 60 470KV motors (1200w) and Castle Creations Phoenix Edge 34v 100amp ESC units. These will be on Admiral 5000, 6s batteries. One battery per motor/ESC combo... This will give about 111.62 watts per pound at 43lbs. Wingspan is 120 inches.

Comment

That set-up should do nicely!:Cool:

Comment

Going to post a few pics of the flight crew. They were sourced from http://realmodelpilots.co.uk/epages/...ath=Categories in the UK. They arrived yesterday and are nice and light...

Comment

These are obviously 3D printed. The resolution is not super fine, but they will work just great. The M-2 .50 cals are nice too, but need the aircraft barrel shroud to be accurate.

Comment

A couple more things to post pictures of that may be of interest... stand by.;)

Comment

This is my scratch-built B-17G bomb rack. It uses Wingspan Models electronic bomb releases and control box. You can do single, double or salvo release!! www.wingspanmodels.com

Comment

Here are the bomb bay doors that are custom cut and hinged. No bomb bay in the original kit...This model was built back in the 1990's, so some of the old glass work is kind of rough!! :Straight-Face:

Comment

So here she is after patching all the bullet and flak holes from the previous livery. Then a coat or two of automotive high-fill primer, and then lots and lots of sanding. Then more wet sanding!!
                        :Sweating: Now comes the replacement panel lines and LOTS of rivets...

Comment

That beast is gonna be seeeeeexy once your done, I'm looking forward to the progress and finished product!:Cool:

Comment

A have to make myself a checklist of all the things to do and change and modify. If I don't do that, and match it to an available work day calendar, it won't get done!!! Too many details in every direction!! LOL Thanks bro!

Comment

Oh yeah I know how that goes lol! Check lists are a must for me with my projects, man i cant wait to restart my n9mb. I just decided to wait until I get my va stuff situated, so its shelved until then, and hopefully I can get a nice 3d printer to make my supports and ribs and all the load bearing components. This time I really want to do it right and make something worthy of the original Northrop design :)

Comment

The Power 60 motors arrived this morning, along with one CC 100 amp ESC. Going to set up a test rig and see what the data tells me!

Comment

Right on!

Comment

The Power 60 setup will be a lot less cluttered than this one with the Saito .82!!!

Comment

Much better option, so what's the plan with the cowlings?

Comment

What props you planning to use with the Power 60s?
                                        FF gliders and rubber power since 1966, CL 1970-1990, RC since 1975.

current planes from 1/2 oz to 22 lbs

Comment

Working...
                                        X