You must Sign-in or Register to post messages in the Hobby Squawk community
Registration is FREE and only takes a few moments

Register now

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Step by Step build log for Art-Tech AT-6 Texan ?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Step by Step build log for Art-Tech AT-6 Texan ?

I know there's a lengthy thread on RC Groups but the information is scattered.

Just received my Texan. Unboxed and all looks good except that one of the little red dots on the top of wing was not in the proper location and there are Navy markings on the side of the fuse though the livery is the USAF version. A minor QC issue.

The Art-Tech Manual is very lacking in many ways.

I've built many and ARF but this one is pretty funky, especially with the wiring setup on the wing box. Not sure how this all goes together. What plugs into what?

Is it recommended to mount the rx on top the wing saddle or inside the cabin? I might e adding a gyro.

I also bought the sound card separately from BH as Motion did not offer it as an option. It pains me to send them my money.

Looks like there are several recommended mods, some more critical than others. I'm most concerned about the wing spars and joining them. Secondly, strengthening the elevator hardware. Some have recommended using hinge tape.

How to you remove the faux radial too gain access to the motor? Is this piece glued on? It's fragile and I'm afraid of breaking it.

What is the recommended yellow touch up paint ? With all the minor surgeries for mods needed, it will need some touching up. The paint scratches off very easily.
    Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
    Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
    I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Re: Step by Step build log for Art-Tech AT-6 Texan ?

Hi Dahawk,
    You have quite a few questions some of which may be difficult to handle via messages, but I will try and do my best..
    First - an online version of the manual which allows you to zoom in on pictures is available here: http://www.motionrc.com/content/manuals/art-tech/Art-Tech%20AT-6%20Manual%20Motion%20RC.pdf

My comments are in your quote below

I know there's a lengthy thread on RC Groups but the information is scattered.

Just received my Texan. Unboxed and all looks good except that one of the little red dots on the top of wing was not in the proper location and there are Navy markings on the side of the fuse though the livery is the USAF version. A minor QC issue.

The Art-Tech Manual is very lacking in many ways.

I've built many and ARF but this one is pretty funky, especially with the wiring setup on the wing box. Not sure how this all goes together. What plugs into what? (Figure 4.3 in the manual is the only available illustration of how the wiring works.. it's not perfect, but it does show where ailerons, flaps and lights plug in)

Is it recommended to mount the rx on top the wing saddle or inside the cabin? I might e adding a gyro. (either place will work, it may be easier to access in the cabin)

I also bought the sound card separately from BH as Motion did not offer it as an option. It pains me to send them my money. (we did not carry the sound card because early versions were known to catch fire)

Looks like there are several recommended mods, some more critical than others. I'm most concerned about the wing spars and joining them. Secondly, strengthening the elevator hardware. Some have recommended using hinge tape. (hinge tape is good insurance on any plane)

How to you remove the faux radial too gain access to the motor? Is this piece glued on? It's fragile and I'm afraid of breaking it. (we have not removed our motor yet, so I am not 100% sure.. I believe you remove the cowl first and then the radials will be easier to remove - I would need to investigate)

What is the recommended yellow touch up paint ? With all the minor surgeries for mods needed, it will need some touching up. The paint scratches off very easily. (yes, the paint is a known issue on most art-tech planes. They used a water based eco friendly paint on these planes which does not adhere to foam very well. I would recommend an acrylic paint available at most craft stores. )

If you have further questions, please contact us here

Mark

Comment

RE: Step by Step build log for Art-Tech AT-6 Texan ?

Mark=2C
      =20
      Thanks for your reply. I got everything sorted out and the Texan is ready f=
      or maiden. It's just a little different than most of the ARF's I've built. =
      Not to say it's bad=2C it's just a little different.
      =20
      I'm really impressed with the value you get at this price point. There's a =
      lot of innovation and good looking scale features that come standard with t=
      his plane. I've actually flown the full scale T-6
      =20
      I did install the sound card from BH and it works great. Have been watching=
      for heat issues as reported on the threads and so far it's fine. Must be a=
      newer version of the card. Last thing I want is a ball of flames flying by=
      . Upgraded motor to a Power-up 15. and am using a 50 amp esc.
      =20
      On the paint=2C I did touch it up with the closest match I could find. Not =
      perfect=2C but it will do. Also applied a few coats of Minwax to help preve=
      nt hangar rash.=20
      =20
      My wish is that Art-tech will continue to add models to this series. It's a=
      great size. Would love to see a FW-190 or Spit to out-match Dynam=2C FMS=
      =2C Flyzone=2C Parkzone & Top RC versions. Continue with the sound cards b=
      ased on various models. EG: Merlin=2C Daimler=2C Continental Adds a fun d=
      imension the electric world and at $40.00 =2C you can't beat it.
      =20
      Continue to make planes that are grass-field friendly. Not everyone has t=
      he luxury of a paved runway. The Art-Tech Texan is ideal for grass.
      =20
      I've already recommended Motion RC to my local flying mates and on Wattflye=
      rs.com. I'm entering the Texan in this month's "Model of the Month" contest=
      at our local club and will put in a good word for Motion RC. If I win=2C I=
      'll send you guys a picture.
      =20
      Thanks again for the great service ! I'm sure I'll be coming back to buy mo=
      re stuff soon.
      =20
      Dave
      =20
      Date: Sun=2C 2 Jun 2013 23:40:16 -0700
      To: dasdh@msn.com
      Subject: Re: Step by Step build log for Art-Tech AT-6 Texan ?

=0A=
      =0A=
      Hi Dahawk=2C=0A=

You have quite a few questions some of which may be difficult to handle via=
      messages=2C but I will try and do my best.. =0A=

First - an online version of the manual which allows you to zoom in on pict=
      ures is available here: http://www.motionrc.com/content/manuals/art-tech/Ar=
      t-Tech%20AT-6%20Manual%20Motion%20RC.pdf

My comments are below=0A=

=0A=
      dahawk wrote=0A=
      I know there's a lengthy thread on RC Groups but the information is scatter=
      ed.=0A=

Just received my Texan. Unboxed and all looks good except that one of the l=
      ittle red dots on the top of wing was not in the proper location and there =
      are Navy markings on the side of the fuse though the livery is the USAF ver=
      sion. A minor QC issue.=0A=

The Art-Tech Manual is very lacking in many ways.=0A=

I've built many and ARF but this one is pretty funky=2C especially with the=
      wiring setup on the wing box. Not sure how this all goes together. What pl=
      ugs into what? (Figure 4.3 in the manual is the only available illustration=
      of how the wiring works.. it's not perfect=2C but it does show where ailer=
      ons=2C flaps and lights plug in)=0A=

Is it recommended to mount the rx on top the wing saddle or inside the cabi=
      n? I might e adding a gyro. (either place will work=2C it may be easier to =
      access in the cabin) =0A=

I also bought the sound card separately from BH as Motion did not offer it =
      as an option. It pains me to send them my money. (we did not carry the sou=
      nd card because early versions were known to catch fire)=0A=

Looks like there are several recommended mods=2C some more critical than ot=
      hers. I'm most concerned about the wing spars and joining them. Secondly=2C=
      strengthening the elevator hardware. Some have recommended using hinge tap=
      e. (hinge tape is good insurance on any plane)=0A=

How to you remove the faux radial too gain access to the motor? Is this pie=
      ce glued on? It's fragile and I'm afraid of breaking it. (we have not remov=
      ed our motor yet=2C so I am not 100% sure.. I believe you remove the cowl f=
      irst and then the radials will be easier to remove - I would need to invest=
      igate)=0A=

What is the recommended yellow touch up paint ? With all the minor surgerie=
      s for mods needed=2C it will need some touching up. The paint scratches off=
      very easily. (yes=2C the paint is a known issue on most art-tech planes. =
      They used a water based eco friendly paint on these planes which does not a=
      dhere to foam very well. I would recommend an acrylic paint available at m=
      ost craft stores. )=0A=
      =0A=
      =0A=
      If you have further questions=2C please contact us here

Mark=0A=
      =0A=
      =0A=
      =0A=
      =0A=
      =09
      =0A=
      =09
      =0A=
      =0A=
      =0A=
      If you reply to this email=2C your message will be added to the discussio=
      n below:=0A=
      http://motion-rc-customer-service-forum.1075610.n5.nabble.com/Step-by-Ste=
      p-build-log-for-Art-Tech-AT-6-Texan-tp373p376.html=0A=
      =0A=
      =0A=
      =0A=
      To unsubscribe from Step by Step build log for Art-Tech AT-6 Texan ?=2C c=
      lick here.
      =0A=
      NAML=0A=
      =
      Currently flying: Twin 80mm A-10, 80mm F5, 80mm A6, 70mm Yak-130, 70mm F-16v2,90mm Stinger 90, 70mmRC Lander F9F, Flightline F7F TigerCat, Phoenix 46 size Tucano, Flyzone L-39
      Out of Service: 80mm Mig-21,64mm F-35, 64mm F/A-18
      I Want: 80mm A-4, twin 80mm F4J Phantom

Comment

Working...
      X